F.A.O. Diane

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi - in another posting you mentioned you were going to Deven as you had never been there before. You do not say which part of the county you are going to. We prefer the south coast from the Dorset border at Lyme Regis across to Dartmouth. It is stunning scenery and plenty to see and do even in inclement weather. We go to Widend site just outside Paignton. If you have teanage children with you there is not much for them on this site but for younger ones there is an outdoor swimming pool and a children's play park. The site itself is spotless and we have been going there now for quite a few years. If you are on the south coast go on the steam train from Paignton To Dartmouth as the scenery along the coast is beautiful. We are not so fond of the Bristol Channel side of the county. Have a great holiday where ever you go and hope and prey for good weather.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As LISA has corrected me (I hate brainy women) I have made a typing error in the spelling of the county name of DEVON. Who let women away from the kitchen sink? they should be shot for even considering giving them their freedom.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
That's got me thinking, perhaps the muslims are right in wanting the Islamisation of the U.K.

Just think of it, our wives in burqa's and walking ten paces behind us :O)

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Woodland springs Adult only site in the Dartmoor country Parc.Whoops they spell it Park. No Children, No teenagers, No twenty somethings, No Doggies, Just me, Him peace and quiet.

AND probably no Sunshine! Whats to see and do down there?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dartmouth, given the right weather is a very pretty place. Take a river cruise, the commentry is very funny - you will pass a few homes of the rich and famous such as David Dimbleby, Eamon Andrews, Agatha Christie, etc. Cross the river on the ferry to Kingswear and take the steam train to Paignton, the return fare will be for the ferry and the train. Also Brixham is very nice area - train does not run to Brixham. Take the car ferry from Dartmouth and follow the Paignton signposts and you will eventually come to the Brixham turnoff. From Brixham harbour drive passed the fish warehouse and up the hill, halfway up turn right back down the other side - road is narrow and busses use it. Very large car park overlooking the marina and a short walk back along the sea front into town. Paignton is divided - part of the town is similar ro most other towns regarding shopping. Over the railway crossing are all the cheap jack "kiss me quick" type of shops where you pays your money and take the risk. This road leads down to the sea front. Don't bother with Torquay - very expensive rip off. Slightly further east is Teignmouth another pretty sea side town with long sea side walks. Walk takes you along side the railway line where the old Cornish Riviera Express used to run in the steam days. Totness to the north of Dartmouth is another nice country town. You could either drive there or take the river boat from Dartmouth. For a week in this area of Devon you will find that there will not be enough hours in the day. Take comfortable walking shoes not high heals as you will be worn out (not speaking from experience but what my wife tells me).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Forgot to mention in Totness there is a steam train that runs to Buckfastliegh. At Buckfastleigh there is an old open top double decker similar to the old South Wales Transport half cab double deckers in Swansea which will take you to Buckfastleigh Abbey - another nice afternoon out if the weather is good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts