Failing a MOT

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Surely tyres are not changed on service time life, but on wear, I also like to change my tyres at 3mm , as I feel them loosing grip in the wet. And I never use budget tyres. Probably due to my faster driving style when solo.
Hankook ???. Original tyres , 42 k miles, now on knokian wetherproofs, also looking towards 35 to 40 k miles. Going back to Hankoocks as we will not be visiting switzerland in winter. A quieter tyre.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Surely tyres are not changed on service time life, but on wear, I also like to change my tyres at 3mm , as I feel them loosing grip in the wet. And I never use budget tyres. Probably due to my faster driving style when solo.
Like you I’ve always changed at 3mm and always buy quality tyres. Current ones are Bridgestone Weather Control. All seasons but optimised more for U.K. winter conditions in areas not subject to high or regular snowfalls. Very good in the wet and quite an aggressive tread almost AT.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Like you I’ve always changed at 3mm and always buy quality tyres. Current ones are Bridgestone Weather Control. All seasons but optimised more for U.K. winter conditions in areas not subject to high or regular snowfalls. Very good in the wet and quite an aggressive tread almost AT.
I might have a look at those, very happy with the Knokians though, they are a all season but more for winter, but suitable for summer.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I know about the https://www.oponeo.co.uk/blog/winter-tyres-don-t-rely-on-the-m-s-mark. But having had different tyres on different cars i prefer tyres with a chunkier tread patteren for when on damp grass or muddy pitchs, (not many now adays) but being a daft ****** try and get my self into stupid situations and get out again so like a chunky tyre.
I've towed a 4+tonne motorhome off a wet, muddy campsite despite worn summer tyres so it's a lot to do with the 4wd system - or not in the case of a 2wd car.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I've towed a 4+tonne motorhome off a wet, muddy campsite despite worn summer tyres so it's a lot to do with the 4wd system - or not in the case of a 2wd car.
Presumably the Motorhome also had power to its wheels? Not exactly the same as towing a dead load off if a wet muddy CL.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I wiĺ disagree, smooth road tyre s will not grip, Mud and snow tyres will fight with new cut grass, as they do not grip, the mud or snow, as the same the snipes on snow tyres are designed to grip snow not mud or grass. A rough or wide mud tread are best.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The car was bought 2nd hand with thè budget tyres.
Just to add, only the rear tyres were budget Royal tyres and they were fitted the day before purchase by the dealer. I had never heard of that brand previously. The front tyres which are Continentals were replaced a month after purchase of the vehicle or about 500 miles later.
It definitely proves that buying budget tyres is false economy. As said normally I replace the tyres at 3mm, but as I will hardly be using the vehicle for the next three months I will probably get it done in December by our local fitter and have Continentals fitted.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I wiĺ disagree, smooth road tyre s will not grip, Mud and snow tyres will fight with new cut grass, as they do not grip, the mud or snow, as the same the snipes on snow tyres are designed to grip snow not mud or grass. A rough or wide mud tread are best.

With smooth summer tyres, it has to be the full-time 4wd - sadly, the modern smart part-time systems on many cars don't even out the torque at low throttle, they rely on the fronts slipping before engaging the rear.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
With smooth summer tyres, it has to be the full-time 4wd - sadly, the modern smart part-time systems on many cars don't even out the torque at low throttle, they rely on the fronts slipping before engaging the rear.
Our 4x4 is permanent AWD.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Yes re 4wd systems having a diff lock can really make a big difference.
I don't have diff locks or low ratio, just a full-time Torsen centre diff and a proper "slush-box" automatic.

Mind you, a light right foot is important too - back in the '90s I could get my 2wd Cavalier's off muddy campsites when some of the 4x4s were getting stuck.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just to add, only the rear tyres were budget Royal tyres and they were fitted the day before purchase by the dealer. I had never heard of that brand previously. The front tyres which are Continentals were replaced a month after purchase of the vehicle or about 500 miles later.
It definitely proves that buying budget tyres is false economy. As said normally I replace the tyres at 3mm, but as I will hardly be using the vehicle for the next three months I will probably get it done in December by our local fitter and have Continentals fitted.
My car came with two brand new GT Radials. The difference in tread depth between those and the two Bridgestone was 3 -4mm. So I sold the GTs and fitted new all round.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure budget tyres are worth the cost as many seem to wear out far quicker than better ones. If the car is going to be sold soon then I see the point though. The Bridgestones on the front of our car did over 30,000 and the back more, budget tyres would normally last about 20,000. The dealers web sites often show he performance rating and the wet grip can be lower on some budget ones.
I have replaced them with Avon which seem the best compromise between price and performance.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Had budget tyres on aGolf r32 I ran for a while. It came with them I hasten to add. When I discovered its propensity to go straight on on wet corners I swapped them and would never buy cheapo again. Mid range yes after a bit of research but never budget.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I had a similar problem when I bought my car as it was 5 years old with 35000 miles. A full Subaru history except for the last service by the previous owner. So I’ve brought it back into line except for spark plugs changed every 50000 or five years. They will be changed in november at mot. It’s done 42000:so far.
Dealer has now admitted that they did the incorrect service and will pay for fuel there and back plus a free loan car. So happy again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts