falcon-navigator-warning Nothing seen

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one who can see nothing at all on this post, I shows 10 replies, but I can't see anything.

I have no problems with any other post on the forum.

Steve W

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " Am I the only one who can see nothing at all on this post, I shows 10 replies, but I can't see anything."

Yes, you are the only one !!
smiley-tongue-out.gif

I have just looked and all are plain to see,,,,,,,,,,for me anyway.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Posts complaining about this sat nav were posted on various message boards throughout the forum by a disapponted customer.
As far as I know the duplicate posts were removed by Damian, in the meanwhile I edited the OP because it breached forum etiquette and I contacted it's originator via email.
The post that I dealt with can be seen on the General message board Here
and David has since emailed me to say that the company concerned have offered him a full refund.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Frinton Mike said:
I have gone in via Parksy,s link and also the usual method and can see everything both ways

Thanks Mike and apologies gents.
smiley-embarassed.gif

I've had a look at the post from my link but with rich text disabled ths time.
It appears that David, the OP, had used either Microsoft Word or something similar to pre-edit his post. He probably just copied and pasted his original to several forums from Wordpad and he certainly copied and pasted it a few times on this one.
Wordpad contains some hidden code which renders the text invisible on some web browsers but not to others, which is why some of us could see the post and some couldn't.
Microsoft instability issues strike again!
smiley-yell.gif

I've now used cut/ paste to remove the original text, saved it on Notepad to get rid of the dodgy coding, and re-copied and pasted it back again so I hope that it will now be visible to everyone.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all.
Steve W. you appear to have the internet explorer gremlin,
smiley-cry.gif
so many people seem to have it, it is a pity the web site doesn't have warning posted on the home page, similar to the "should have gone to specsavers" with a recommendation to use firefox or some other browser, because seening as so many new members and old cannot post or have problems it is no longer a matter of simple web design (teething troubles) but a major flaw in the programming, a major overhaul is required, I think I read somewhere that one is due
smiley-laughing.gif
but in the meantime, use firefox, those of us who do don't have any problems providing the right add ons are enabled, ps you can also get rid of the dreaded adverts and flashing images too.
while Parksy seems to be able to fix most of the problems, and has the patients of a saint (or too much time on his hands) Haymarket should really get to grips with it, if they can add a feedback button that sits there on the side of every page it should be possible to have one to fix the explorer problem. perhaps a pop up that warns of the problems.
in the meantime use firefox mate, it is no bother having explorer as well installed on the box, for other web work just have it sitting there with this and any other sites that have problems in the bookmarks tab,
as the saying goes "it works for me".

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
As one of my most used programmes will not run on anything other than IE, I will stick with it.
Missing the odd post on this web site only is a small price to pay.

Steve W

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
hi all.
Steve W. you appear to have the internet explorer gremlin,
smiley-cry.gif
so many people seem to have it, it is a pity the web site doesn't have warning posted on the home page, similar to the "should have gone to specsavers" with a recommendation to use firefox or some other browser, because seening as so many new members and old cannot post or have problems it is no longer a matter of simple web design (teething troubles) but a major flaw in the programming, a major overhaul is required...........

........Haymarket should really get to grips with it, if they can add a feedback button that sits there on the side of every page it should be possible to have one to fix the explorer problem. perhaps a pop up that warns of the problems..........

Oh dear Colin, I'm sorry mate but you've really got hold of the wrong end of the stick here
smiley-smile.gif

The particular post that Steve W and others reported being unable to view stemmed not from Steve's computer or web browser, and neither was there any problem with the forum software.

Dave, the OP used a software tool, Microsoft Wordpad, from his own computer, to compose and presumably edit his comments before copy and pasting them onto several internet forums including this one.

Microsoft Wordpad (which you appear to be mistakenly confusing with Internet Explorer which is a different thing altogether) is a computer programme that can be used for composing and editing letters which can then be printed on paper and sent to their recipients via the postal service.

Wordpad allows the user to space a letter correctly, with the correct margins on either side and the correct header and footer spaces top and bottom, and the senders address, phone number and date can be placed in the correct place as would be the case if you wrote a letter by hand or used a typewriter.

It's a useful office tool but it's not designed to pre-edit forum posts before copying and pasting to message boards.
The codes which allow the correct spacing for letters, which are hidden unless you know how to find them, interfere with the software used on most internet forums and websites, not only this one.

Most forums / websites including this one have a built in Preview button, this is so that a post can be checked and edited if need be before it's submitted.
If a piece of information has to be written and then copied / pasted from a members computer then the correct programme to use is Microsoft Notepad, this does not have the space setting codes which interfere with websites.

There is no 'major flaw' in the programming of this forum or website, it is upgraded regularly, uses the very latest technology and although there may at some stage be a bit of a re-design to add some of the things that members would like to see there is no 'major overhaul' needed.

There are warnings about Internet Explorer compatibility problems in the form of 'sticky posts', one is displayed at the top of the New Members message board and the other is displayed at the top of this Our Website message board. The trouble is that no one bothers to read them and they assume that somehow there is a fault with this website.

If you'd care to Google just three words, 'Internet Explorer Obsolete' you will see that IE have been playing catch up for years, many of the versions Microsoft Internet Explorer had missing or out of date codes almost as soon as they were launched.
Firefox regularly updates itself automatically, this is not the case with Internet Explorer which has to be done manually by the user (you) at regular intervals to keep it current and able to work properly.

On this forum webpage you may notice about half way down on the right a blue rectangle on the edge of your screen.
Click it and a feedback dialogue box will appear which allows forum users to send feedback, good or bad, directly to Haymarket.

Trust me Colin, Haymarket are very interested in this website and forum, if and when real problems appear I can contact them at any time, day or night and I can guarantee that the problem will be rectified asap.
The bad old days when we were a wee bit neglected by Haymarket are long gone, they couldn't be more helpful now!
Apologies for the length of this post but I wanted to clear up a few misconceptions about this forum and website.

Finally Colin, yes you are quite correct, I do have a bit too much time on my hands.
There are factors in my life which mean that it's not always possible for me to get out and about, especially in winter, or carry out domestic home maintenance as I'd like, some days are very good and others not quite as good.

I'm faced with somewhat limited choices of what to do at times.

I suppose that I could sit on the sofa downstairs watching Jeremy Kyle and the low lifes of the bear pit shouting and screaming at each other that's piped into our homes if we allow it, I could read books, which believe it or not I often do, or I can use my computer to find things out that I don't know, help out a bit with this forum and try things out that don't require lots of walking or physical activity.
It all helps to pass the time away
smiley-laughing.gif

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi Parksy,
no need to opologise for the length of any reply, as it is allways good to here from you at any time
smiley-cool.gif
even if it's only to set the record straight and point out when someone has made a misstake
smiley-cry.gif
yes I had missunderstood, the teminology used between wordpad and notepad, and that was in fact the reason for the missing text, however only those using IE could not see the post, I could with Firefox, even before you corrected it.
I am quite up to date with computer science and do know the difference between the progams and there uses, Microsoft design their programs to work together ad hock and in conjuction with other Microsoft products, with a bias against programs written outside said company, thats what the european court case was about regarding choice of browsers,
I also seemingly missunderstood the compatability problems with IE explorer usually IE 9, as being a website problem, and not the other way round ie: a microsoft problem and yes quite a few codecs are out of date but most websites seem to cope with it, there are just a few where problems seem to occur, Haymarket is one of them, as you rightly say this may not be a website problem but my gripe (if you can call it that) was that there are a stream of posters whos text fail to appear when using IE
yes there are stickys there and of course it is the fault of the posters who dont read them but still the problem exists so much so that you have to constantly remind posters of compatability problems with a "look here" link, users of other browsers like Firefox dont have these problems, so it is easy to assume that the site has a problem with IE.
all I was suggesting (allbeit a little robustly) is that the website informs users that it might work better and they would have less problems if a different web browser was used. like putting up a sign before a bend instead of after, if you know what I mean, ok this may not indeed be nessasary but I doubt Microsoft are going to fix it, any time soon.
you are quite right that I had not appreiciated how advanced the website was when you still have to use Photobucket and such like to post a picture although "Sir Sproket" seems to be able to copy and paste one. most user friendly website have this facility as standard.
my apologies for getting the wrong end of the stick but a question never asked is one never answered.
and I still think you have the patients of a saint, no matter how much time you have on your hands
smiley-laughing.gif
smiley-laughing.gif
smiley-laughing.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts