Family Caravanning

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
We have been caravanning for just over a year now prompted by the needs of two small boys who have lots of energy and love the outdoors.

I remember from my caravanning childhood days spent wandering the fields, huge games of rounders, cricket and football where parents and children all joined in - what has happened to this?

So far this year we have only seen the outside of people's caravans with huge satellite dishes attached and occasional sniffy twitches as they pull aside their flyscreens to peer outside to make sure our boys are not coming too close to their territory.

All this talk of Adults only sites and no ball games allowed and children to be seen (if absolutely necessary) but not heard is giving our family a pain in the neck.

I propose a Young and Friendly Club - only people allowed are those who are young in spirit, want to go caravanning to be outside in our beautiful countryside and don't throw a wobbly if children are in the vicinity - can even (perish the thought) crack a smile at them.

We love caravanning but this weekend was the first weekend that we have had a friendly experience this year. We went to the Caravan and Camping Club site in Clitheroe and accidentally booked a non-electric pitch so ended up amongst a load of tenters. And what a difference - they actually sit outside and chat to others and join in games and smile at children. We made loads of new friends, had a parents and childrens football match and chatted and the children played outside around us. We didn't have to march them off miles from base to stand for hours in a playarea which when you have children of various ages is just not practical. What happens when the little one needs a nap in his cot - split up the family? We go caravanning to be together as a family, spend time outside together, have fun, laugh, play. Well this weekend we not only managed it as we always do - we actually found some like minded people.

Hooray! Now we just need to get our battery topped up now we know where to find people who actually go camping the way that we want to do. No more electric hook-ups for us - we will be found in the tenting field! You can't miss us - the van's enormous!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tenters do not have the same problem with serious damage caused by footballs, cricket balls, frisbees, kites etc. that caravans do.

If you carry a "heap" of 3rd party insurance go ahead and play among the caravans.

Why do you think that the Caravan Club banned ball games outside of the designated games areas?

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
I agree with you Kathryn, I was dissapointed when I heard the caravan club had banned all ball games near outfits.

I understand that some people own VERY expensive vans and they are their pride and joy, but surely a plastic or foam ball can give many people a laugh. I read somewhere else, I think it was either another post or in PC mag itself, someone discussing this same subject where many families played games together. Having childrens play areas as good as they seem in principle, practically (with more then one child) they are not so great.

Unfortunately these attitudes will segregate people into different groups, the no children brigade, the ones like us that don't mind the odd ball hitting the van (as long as it isn't a cricket ball !!!) and many others.

With a 14 month old toddler we are used to and expect accidents, a retired couple with a

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
O.K then. My twopen`eth.

I go caravanning for the peace and countryside, and if there are well behaved offspring in the vicinity, all well and good.

Unfortunately the loudest protestations invariably come from people who turn up, off-load their clan and then let them run riot (comparative term) as "we`re on holiday".

I don`t get my car/van/garden/house damaged at home so why the hell should I get my property damaged on what is supposed to be a relaxing break/holiday?

I certainly don`t want to resort to using `adult-only` sites, and if the Caravan Club enforce the no-ball rules then they will continue to have my support.

Also, have you noticed how many people have had their property damaged by balls, or by bikes or encountered games of football and the like being played in toilet blocks? And how many adults have admitted to their off-spring being responsible? A slight imbalence, eh?

By all means bring your children on caravan holidays. Show them the history and countryside. Get them to appreciate nature and how exercise is good for them. But get them to behave in a responsible manner with due consideration for others. Because if you don`t it wont matter which field you`re in, it wont be far enough away from me.

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi Rubix,

In principal I have to agree with your views but if one child sees another child playing with a ball they are not going to make the distinction between it being soft or hard. So whilst it is safe for the first child to play near the vans the second child could do damage to a van, or a car, with the hard ball.

As a parent with a young child (and we have been there 3 times) you have to consider their safety as well. If older children were playing football near your van your child could be hit by the ball, or a player.

As to segregating people into differnt groups your comments about vans could do that anyway. We have an

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Banning ball games near caravans is only necessary because a small minority of parents have no concern what their children are up to.

It's not just owners of expensive caravans that are twitchy about possible damage. Our 17-year old Ace Globetrotter, worth about

May 27, 2007
Visit site
Banning ball games near caravans is only necessary because a small minority of parents have no concern what their children are up to.

It's not just owners of expensive caravans that are twitchy about possible damage. Our 17-year old Ace Globetrotter, worth about

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
Hi Rubix,

In principal I have to agree with your views but if one child sees another child playing with a ball they are not going to make the distinction between it being soft or hard. So whilst it is safe for the first child to play near the vans the second child could do damage to a van, or a car, with the hard ball.

As a parent with a young child (and we have been there 3 times) you have to consider their safety as well. If older children were playing football near your van your child could be hit by the ball, or a player.

As to segregating people into differnt groups your comments about vans could do that anyway. We have an

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
I think respect and manners go a long way.

Further to Rogers comment : Some people have no respect for themsleves, their children or for that matter their property and of course anyone elses property. Your comment about damage almost makes you feel if as if "how dare you park your caravan in the way of my game"

This isn't tarring anyone with this brush, but I think when people are like this, they spoil it for the pleasent ones among us.

If everyone took resposibility for theirs and of course their childrens actions, it may help.

I only have a 14 month old Son and am no expert or perfect parent, but I want to bring him up so he is almost afraid of telling me he has misbehaved, as he will get told off a second time afteer a neighbour/teacher/other caravanner etc.

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
"show them the history and the countryside", fine in principle but for the majority of children this is boring with a capital B

Kathryns post has hit the nail on the head, Caravanning is no longer a social pastime, everyone seems to just lock themselves away in front of their satellite TV watching brain rotting soaps, children are biologically fused to their game boys, people get upset if someone parks next to them in an open field.

The design and layout of many sites leaves much to be desired which cannot be avoided in most cases but we stayed on one small site near Weston s'Mare where caravans were sited around the edge of a large field where Children could play and be in sight of parents even if they were sat in their 'vans.

Perhaps there should be more "family only" sites

TV's in caravans should be fitted with special devices that only allows them to work if it's raining or dark!!!!

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Personally, I can't see why any parent/carer would allow their children to play ball games near other people's property. It's not something I would allow and if children played ball games near my van/car/awning even ME, I'd politely ask them to go and play in the play area.

No doubt, I'd get a visit from the parent/carer, in that case, they would get my polite response, manners cost nothing.

If all else failed, I would hold my two dogs on lunge lines and see how much fun they could have, retrieving the offending ball and then eating it. (smiley icon thingy)

Lisa

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Thank you Garfield - you seem to realise what I was getting at. It wasn't meant to turn into the old ball game chestnut again - there are many long and winding threads on that subject!

Of course I don't want balls thumping on old people's treasured retirement caravans nor on mine either. My boys are well behaved and know that this is not permissible - however I do like them to be able to play near the van so we have a large toy box in the van with shuttlecock, foam rockets, egg and spoon games, plane collection, diggers etc

My reflections were more on the fact that so many people seem to go away to then do exactly what they do at home - shut themselves away in a little box staring at a box. I think it is sad. I like social interaction, meeting new people regardless of age or with or without children. Now I know the kind of place I need to go to meet these kindrid spirits I will be aiming more towards them.

Oct 24, 2006
Visit site
I'm with kathryn on this one - of course no-one wants to have ball games played by their caravans me included but some people only have to catch sight of a ball and you can see the look of horror on their faces.

As long as games are played away from peoples units (caravans or tents) I can't see what the problem is.

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Michael - if you read the replies to this thread it proves the point really.

No-one read further than the words "ball games" before they were leaping out of their virtual caravans shaking their fists at me and telling me to get out of their space.

That was such a small part of my original point that I feel like re-writing my comments removing all references to balls in case I might get a better response.

Don't mention the "B" word is obviously the conclusion I must take away from all this.

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
Kathryn, I feel the same as you. We have 21/2 yr old twin boys who are very lively and noisy and a 5 yr old girl. We have just been to Dornafield at Whitsun and we were parked around a green which is for children to play on. Now this is a CC site and clearly ball games are allowed. There were children and adults playing football and it was lovely to hear them all playing. The boys love to push scooters along, are not really into football yet. I saw too many backs of heads through windows where people were just sitting in their vans and scowling at any children that went by. Denise

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Does it occur to you, Kathryn, that a number of us have been disadvantaged by inconsiderate parents? If this problem was that rare, you wouldn't get the instant reaction.

You referred to the ban on ball games in your original post, don't blame us for over-reacting!

When everyone is considerate there isn't a problem with anything in life - the rules/laws are there to deal with the inconsiderate minority.

These rules/laws don't normally inconvenience considerate people - why are you bothered by these rules?

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
Kathryn,

Your last message saying many people jumped on the no ball games thing is true, me being one of them too.

Another upsetting thing I think is the different attitudes of people. Everyone is entitled to their own of course, but some people want absolute silence, others want to be able to take their children (who may get up at 7am and excitedly make noise), others want to drink wine/beer (Ooooo what a stereo type !! :) ) and maybe get a little merry till say 11pm/midnight or even later in some cases.

These things conflict in some ways. I remember one message on a different post saying that a Gentelman wants to be able to go to any site, but he dislikes children making noise early, and he shouldn't have to to an adult site, but (and I don't think he said this) what about if he had wanted a drink and got merry till the "wee" hours and maybe disturbe the (then) sleeping children. Is that pay back ? Can he do that as he is an adult and children are inferior ? (this is a hypothetical situation)

My point is, we should all be able to just get on with each other. We should be able to be considerate on one hand, but "put up with" some minor inconveniences at the same time (like the odd birthday party)

Ok, the soap-box is ready for the next speaker

Have a good Tuesday everyone :)

May 10, 2007
Visit site
Surely the simple answer is everything in its place.

Kids playing with balls or toys that could damage a car or caravan should be on site play areas.

To many parents seem to expect to have their children out of their hair but within a safe distance. If that's the case you go to the play area with your offspring!

We never wanted our children woken when young by partying adults and made sure our children kept their noise down around others caravans and tents.

Recently a colleague was on an activity walk with a group of school children, amongst his group was a "charming" child that is constantly causing problems. Each of the teachers and assistants on the walk had noted the sign on the front door of the child's home "STUFF THE DOG, BEWARE OF THE KIDS". It just summed up all the problems with the child and the reaction of the parents when questioned about their child's behaviour problems.

The next day, another teacher nearly ran over the same six year old as he rode off of a pavement nearly a mile from is home with another similar problem child.

If many parents were more responsible, children would not get black looks from other adults.

Ria

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
I think my point is neatly proved by the aggressive response of many people here.

I am aware that a lot of people don't like kids as they make it very plain. They are noisy but that is in the nature of the beast and I did think before starting that caravanning would be a great place for them to let off steam and energy. Hence why we need to find sites that welcome the noisy funny interesting stimulating animals that we have in our lives at the moment - I am well aware that their childhood will be gone in what seems like a flash to me and I want them to enjoy it and me to enjoy it and not have to be continually appologising for them experimenting as they find out what life is all about.

To be honest what other people do does not concern me at all - there are many nights when I have listened to drunk older people chatting into the wee hours but they haven't disturbed my kids who sleep like logs after a full day outside in the fresh air. They haven't disturbed me either - I am very much a live and let live kind of person.

My reflections were more on the fact that so many people seem to go away to then do exactly what they do at home - shut themselves away in a little box staring at a box. I think it is sad. I like social interaction, meeting new people regardless of age or with or without children. Now I know the kind of place I need to go to meet these kindrid spirits I will be aiming more towards them.

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
Surely the simple answer is everything in its place.

Kids playing with balls or toys that could damage a car or caravan should be on site play areas.

To many parents seem to expect to have their children out of their hair but within a safe distance. If that's the case you go to the play area with your offspring!

We never wanted our children woken when young by partying adults and made sure our children kept their noise down around others caravans and tents.

Recently a colleague was on an activity walk with a group of school children, amongst his group was a "charming" child that is constantly causing problems. Each of the teachers and assistants on the walk had noted the sign on the front door of the child's home "STUFF THE DOG, BEWARE OF THE KIDS". It just summed up all the problems with the child and the reaction of the parents when questioned about their child's behaviour problems.

The next day, another teacher nearly ran over the same six year old as he rode off of a pavement nearly a mile from is home with another similar problem child.

If many parents were more responsible, children would not get black looks from other adults.

Ria
here-here !! my sentiments exactly !!

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
I think my point is neatly proved by the aggressive response of many people here.

I am aware that a lot of people don't like kids as they make it very plain. They are noisy but that is in the nature of the beast and I did think before starting that caravanning would be a great place for them to let off steam and energy. Hence why we need to find sites that welcome the noisy funny interesting stimulating animals that we have in our lives at the moment - I am well aware that their childhood will be gone in what seems like a flash to me and I want them to enjoy it and me to enjoy it and not have to be continually appologising for them experimenting as they find out what life is all about.

To be honest what other people do does not concern me at all - there are many nights when I have listened to drunk older people chatting into the wee hours but they haven't disturbed my kids who sleep like logs after a full day outside in the fresh air. They haven't disturbed me either - I am very much a live and let live kind of person.

kathryn, My wife caravenned as a child (I was a tent child), and she told me that her step-dad would no sooner have the steadies down, than he'd be setting up the TV and would watch it so it resembled a snow-storm, but he'd still watch it.

I thought we went on hoidays to do something different, so I comepletely agree with you on that.

We recently bought a '98 'Van and it doesn't have an aerial at all - yaay !!

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
here-here !! my sentiments exactly !!
Yes but why generalise - do we tar all children just because of the actions of one child?

You mention a group of children but out of them only one was being a pain. So why the black looks to all children?

I smile and greet everyone I meet on a caravan site but do not have the same curtesy afforded to me purely because I have 2 small boys with me.

Don't forget - you were all children once!! Maybe you have forgotten what it was like?

They are learning, we are all learning I hope. I hope that none of us feel that they are now perfect and have nothing more to learn.

May 10, 2007
Visit site
We've spent most of our married life living abroad. My children speak German, French, Italian and Spanish and will not live in the UK as they feel out of place with behaviour here and British ways.

When Camping around Europe families sit down under canopies on campsites having long lunches and in the main children are included but know their place and bahave with respect for adults be the family or fellow campers far more than they do here.

I think your problem is with the British way of life Kathryn.

"They are noisy but that is in the nature of the beast and I did think before starting that caravanning would be a great place for them to let off steam and energy"

"To be honest what other people do does not concern me at all"

I believe what we all do should be of concern to others as that is how manners and levels of acceptable bahaviour evolve. Our own children were far from perfect but a campsite with close neighbours or a home with close neighbours and a comment such as "nature of the beast" re noise is not really acceptable.

I don't believe that all children should be mute but maybe your levels of acceptance re your childrens noise is not that of others.

We could never have said that our children did not make noise, but they were not noisy and often lived in places where being noisy would have had consequences for James at work.

Children making noise is fine, being noisy is a different matter.

Surely before you started camping you realised that often you would be in close proximity of other campers. How "caravanning would be a great place for them to let off steam and energy" fits in with that I am at a loss to understand.

Ria

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi Kathryn,

Oh what a can of worms you have opened!!

I understand fully what you are saying as I have an energetic 3 yr old and a 1 1/2 yr old.

We have just traded up to a brand new van and our children are expected and are being taught to respect it and other peoples vans but unfortunately not all parents think that way.

Our solution to child friendly sites are usually rallys or camping and caravvaning sites as we have never had any where near as many issues as mentioned on this and previous threads which seem very Cavaran club orientated.

We were members of both clubs but always felt more welcome and comfortable with the Camping & Caravanning club.

I know there will now be some forum members who will vigourously defend the CC but I can only say it as I find it.

With the best will in the world people are different and you will never please everyone so we have the live and let live atittude except in very rare circumstances involving bad language or very bad attitudes when I feel we have to say something or get the site managers involved.

Good luck on your rallys & tenting trips! Maybe we will see you about!

Caroline

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts