FAO Niall Hampton - reversing a caravan

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I enjoyed reading the article on page 145 of the February issue of PCv magazine by new Practical Caravan magazine deputy editor Niall Hampton about his first trip as a caravanner. The forum was mentioned in the article but the members of this forum are much nicer than some of the magazines letter writers who seem to enjoy watching newer caravanners struggle when they're not watching the tele.
smiley-laughing.gif

Welcome Niall, don't be shy because if we'd have known that you were not used to reversing a caravan we'd have given you some tips before you set off.

The obvious and easy solution for those who have trouble reversing a caravan is to fit a motor mover but this is not an option on caravans loaned to the magazine for test purposes. Small lightweight caravans are not too difficult to push into position for those without health issues but a larger caravan with no motor mover has to be reversed whilst hitched up sooner or later.

A good place to start practising reversing is on large supermarket car parks on Sunday evenings when they are closed providing that there is no height barrier across the entrance. A couple of hours practice would do the trick but here are a few tips to start off with
smiley-smile.gif

A larger caravan with a greater distance between the towing hitch and the axles will react more gradually than a short two berth which will seem all too easy to jack-knife when reversing.
Always use small steering inputs and reverse as slowly as possible - the smaller the caravan the smaller steering inputs.

A vehicle fitted with an auto box might be better to practice with, clutches and DMF flywheels are not cheap to replace!

Try to arrange to approach the space that you want to reverse the caravan into so that it's on your right (drivers o/side)
It's much easier to see over your right shoulder, you will spot any obstructions before starting the manoeuvre and you can aim the back corner of the caravan to a point of your choice.

Rather than trying to imagine the effect of which way you turn the steering wheel on the entire caravan try instead to consider the effect just on the hitch.
We naturally expect the back of the caravan to go to the right if we push the hitch to the left when handling a caravan manually and the thought process is the same. Our towball is 'pushing' the hitch so that the caravan will travel in the required direction. Keep the offside of the caravan fairly close to the boundary of the pitch so that the 'invisible' nearside doesn't risk colliding with obstructions ( or neighbouring caravans when pitches are tight!)

When using your mirrors during reversing use the car mirrors rather then the extension mirrors which can be used for looking beyond the end of the caravan. It is often much easier to look over your shoulder than trying to reverse into a space using mirrors alone.

If you wanted to continue back in a straight line look at the 'portions' of caravan that are visible in the mirrors. If a segment of caravan starts to get bigger in the mirror turn the steering wheel toward it when going back and this will reduce the turn.

After the initial steering input to begin the rear of the caravan pointing in the direction that you want it to go in gradually bring the steering wheel back on the other lock so that the towcar in effect 'follows' the caravan round.

Don't be too proud to have a shunt forwards to correct any tendency to jack-knife, it's easier to make small corrections than great big ones.

It's always a good idea whenever possible to have a 'banksman' to watch you back while you are manoeuvring. Don't forget to watch the front end of the car when reversing, kids, dogs and other units can arrive unnoticed.

Have a look at This interactive reversing game from another caravan forum. It will drive you mad but it does give some idea of the direction of the steered wheels and the effect that they will have on the hitch and the caravan direction.
I'm sure that other members will have more tips and ideas about caravan manoeuvering, Happy Caravanning and never be afraid to ask for advice
smiley-laughing.gif

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
not so mr parksy i would supervise wilst mrs gump and gump junior pushed the 15ookg van i think the should handle it if not i would drag a warden over.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
The obvious and easy solution for those who have trouble reversing a caravan is to fit a motor mover but this is not an option on caravans loaned to the magazine for test purposes. Small lightweight caravans are not too difficult to push into position for those without health issues but a larger caravan with no motor mover has to be reversed whilst hitched up sooner or later.

Thats all well and good on a site but if you take a wrong turning on a road or get into other difficulties its far easier to reverse the unit than unhitch , engage the movers , drive the van backwards along a road etc.

I accept it can be quite daunting for a new caravanner but they should learn to reverse the caravan. We can not pass our driving test unless we can reverse , but we can hitch 1 1/2 tonnes of box to the back of the car. I know i did and got away with it. Over time i learned to manouver correctly etc..
There are plenty courses run by the cc and c&cc , aa, rac etc , but as you state, you could start on a carpark.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts