Faulty Caravan lights help please

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
When I hitch up to the car my nearside caravan brake light is fainter then my roof and off side one.If I have the lights on as well the nearside light goes out altogether when I break.

Any help appreciated

Roy

Jan 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi

Sounds like an earthing problem, before going anywhere else try spraying WD40 into the socket and plug of the car link up.

Then carefully undo the plug, open out, check that all the cables are connected and tight.

Same with the socket on the car. One or more cables are causing your problem, If all is okay then you will need to start looking at the blocks and lights in the van.

How old is the van?

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi

Sounds like an earthing problem, before going anywhere else try spraying WD40 into the socket and plug of the car link up.

Then carefully undo the plug, open out, check that all the cables are connected and tight.

Same with the socket on the car. One or more cables are causing your problem, If all is okay then you will need to start looking at the blocks and lights in the van.

How old is the van?
Hi it's a 2004 Eldiss odyssey

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

If all the lights work, but one is dimmer than the others - I'd suggest:

1. You look at the bulb contacts in the light unit - there's a good probability it's due to corrosion causing a high resistance. Replacement is better than cleaning...

2. I'd check the bulb filaments (magnifying glass) to check that these haven't failed and is causing an internal high resistance or a short. Again replace.

3. I'd check the feed and return circuit for a spot of corrosion on a connector...

And I'd be very careful about using WD40 on anything made from plastic - it's just the wrong stuff to use - the correct product is Silicone spray - this is 100% compatible with plastic and any rubber seals.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

1. You look at the bulb contacts in the light unit - there's a good probability it's due to corrosion causing a high resistance. Replacement is better than cleaning...

2. I'd check the bulb filaments (magnifying glass) to check that these haven't failed and is causing an internal high resistance or a short. Again replace.

3. I'd check the feed and return circuit for a spot of corrosion on a connector...

And I'd be very careful about using WD40 on anything made from plastic - it's just the wrong stuff to use - the correct product is Silicone spray - this is 100% compatible with plastic and any rubber seals.

Robert
Agree about WD

My friend had his lights so treated and we had to solder the wires on to the bulbs to get back from Spain!

Apr 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Robert
Just going off track a little we had a problem like yours but all the lights on the caravan were a little dull and things flashed that should not. So i removed the socket from the car and fitted a seperate earth and earthed it to the tow bracket with a nut and bolt, now the lights on the van are as good as on the car and all behave as they should.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts