Favourite Food For Vans

At long last wife of Fouldsy gets a word in edgeways...better check he's still breathing!! Here's my question, what do you cook in your van? Obviously we all favour the BBQ in the sunshine, but what's your food fave in the van otherwise? Easy grub on arrival for us...preferably a fish and chip van on site...but what about the rest of the time. Something with not too many pots afterwards ( I wash up he cooks)....one of our easy meals is sausage and lentil supper -one pot deal (recipe on application!).Don't you think this would be a good feature for Practical Caravan's Mag on a monthly basis?

Fouldsy is now drawing breath and would like it pointed out he is a superb cook - am obliged to agree or no more holiday grub!

G

One of the magazines used to carry a recipe page a while back, but that seemed to die the death once new young inexperienced journalists became the norm.

It has always been one of the 'wonders' of my life to know if anyone actually uses the 4 burner hob and oven that many of the mnaufacturers seem to think is essential. I have yet to see any test report with a kitchen in a caravan filled with 4 cooking pots on each burner and something roasting away in the oven. Storing all the items needed for such an exercise is also usually a missed topic. One journalist a few years ago let the cat out of the bag. The reason evidently the kitchens were never used was because the manufacturer wished them to be returned un - scorched or not looking as if they had been used as they wished to pass the van to another magazine for a write up. So there you are, the manufacturers know thes things look old rapidly.

In the last 2 years of continual caravanning I have only met one person who stated the oven in his van was a necessity. He needed it to warm the pies when he went on Rallies and there was no electric. Well, at least there was a genuine reason. Looking at the average 'delivery' of utensils at the communal washup point on CC and C&CC sites seems to suggest a distinct lack of culinary experimentation going on, unless the frying pan is essential.

Invariably around teatime on many campsites all you can hear is the repeated sound of 'ping' as the microwave in the awning does its stuff.

My own van has a 3 burner hob and we have yet to use all 3 at any one time, so why I would need 4 is a mystery. No oven or grill is present, as is our wish. Yet we manage 'Moules mariniere' quite easily., or nicely done steaks or even a good stir fry. Of course dishes such as casseroles, Italian dishes are all easily done in one pot. We also use a saucepan combination with a steamer part on the top so can do several vegetables at once and an electric frypan/griddle connected outside.. Of course the BBQ is always there if required, and very pleasant it is in the hot weather.

The 'on site' fish and chip van can range from 'excellent' to the greasy spoon. Maybe it is a matter of timing, I don't know. The best we have experienced so far is the one on the Broad Park CC site in Devon. Fabulous fish and chips, and even delivered direct to your van. What more could you ask for.

LRG

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
We really appreciate the oven now we have one. A roast chicken is a great easy meal; proper crispy baked spuds are fab; oven chips for the kids!

For summer we bought a George Foreman grill, well a cheaper looki likeee really, and we use it in the awning or outside for most meals. Capitalises on the elect if you have paid for hook-up.

We tend to eat local fresh food which requires v little prep and cooking when away...anything that goes well with wine!

G

No disrespect but you can get a precooked chicken from Morrisons for 2.50 pounds, or 2 for a fiver. Reheat in the microwave for 5 minutes and 'bingo'. What price the amount of gas used to cook from scratch.

We did once many years ago cook a chicken from scratch in our motorhome oven. Did it to impress the in-laws. It took 1 1/2 hours and although it tasted great, did wonder if it was really worth the effort? We then found the oven burners started to rust badly and could never get them to look pristine again.

However, good for you in standing up for ovens.

Thanks for answering so quick guys, knew there would be some foodies out there. We do use the oven too but not every day. Did do a great Christmas dinner in there the year before last....well turkey and potatoes...rest on hob. we are fans of the steaming method too. Fish and chips to the door is a luxury..do you reckon they'd deliver Xmas grub?

G

Unfortunately I think Broad Park closes for the winter, but you could of course always get one of the catering Companies to deliver to your van, Waitrose may do it.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I use every bit of our cooking facilities, rings, grill oven, its what I paid to have to USE, not sit looking pretty and eating second rate food from second rate outlets.

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
we have an oven but it doesnt work so we live off spag bol, curry, chilli,soup stuff like that.even if the oven worked probably wouldnt use it i go on hols to relax and cooking isnt part of that

Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
Favourite van food ? I think it depends on how long you have... But my 3 favorite low pan use/quick and easy recipes are :-

1) Bacon, mushroom and cream pasta

2) Pasta with an amertrician sauce

3) Rissoto (various flavours).

All really quick and simple (less than 15 minutes), tasty and so simple to cook that i can even manage them after a long tow.

Recipes available if anyone wants.

hmmmm i'm starting to feel a bit hungry...

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
If it's not your thing fine, but eating well whilst in the van is one of the pleasures. We could go out for meals but that makes it expensive, someone has to drive and often the foods not up to scratch. We often use the four burners as well as the oven. We have a built in microwave which is used mainly for heating the plates.The biggest frustration is a caravan grill which takes forever. Amongst the essential cookware we have a hobtop steamer, salad spinner, lemon squeezer, cheese grater,garlic press, well just about everything we need.

Favourite food, well so many, but roast duck usually features one night as a special.

Jul 17, 2005
Visit site
If it's not your thing fine, but eating well whilst in the van is one of the pleasures. We could go out for meals but that makes it expensive, someone has to drive and often the foods not up to scratch. We often use the four burners as well as the oven. We have a built in microwave which is used mainly for heating the plates.The biggest frustration is a caravan grill which takes forever. Amongst the essential cookware we have a hobtop steamer, salad spinner, lemon squeezer, cheese grater,garlic press, well just about everything we need.

Favourite food, well so many, but roast duck usually features one night as a special.
Rioja

Roast duck sounds great but when we've cooked duck it's been really fatty. How do you stop it lingering in the van? I agree cooking is one of the pleasures but I know it doesn't float everbody's boat.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our current 'van is the first that we have owned to have more than three gas rings and a grill. We have used the oven a few times, but prefer to use our Remoska (electic, rather than gas). I think it would be hard to fit four pans on to the hob at the same time: three is the usual maximum for us. We also have a slow cooker/steamer/rice cooker, which again uses electricity rather than gas, but we have never bothered with a microwave.

Favourite meals? A full English breakfast, proper Lincolnshire sausages (from a Lincolnshire butcher), Cromer crab salad (when we are in Norfolk), whatever is on offer locally when we are further afield. Boeuf Bourguinonne from the slow cooker is a treat in France, real paella has been a great standby in Spain.

Fresh air and a drop of the local brew make most things taste pretty good.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Rioja

Roast duck sounds great but when we've cooked duck it's been really fatty. How do you stop it lingering in the van? I agree cooking is one of the pleasures but I know it doesn't float everbody's boat.
The duck never lingers....we eat it all !!!!

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
When in France buy a job lot of tins or cassoulat and another of tinned celery. With a bread stick and an earthenwere jug of rough red. It makes the perfect first night instant meal. (and I get more help with the awning).( If it's erected first that is).

ttfn

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We pre-prepare a Lasangne in an oven dish (not the same in a foil take away thingy) which we freeze and it then acts as a "cooler" in the fridge as we travel.

It is usually thawed by the time we arrive and have set up (we often pitch on sites with no electric hook up so the fridge runs on gas which take a while to get going) and we have this with a bottle or two of wine and salad.

I am not one for "routine" but this has evolved as our best way to start the first day!

Boring but nice.

Feb 13, 2006
Visit site
We fry nothing in the van it just is to darn messy, I would rather stand outside in the rain at the cadac instead. Now here is a great dish for anyone who likes the old chicken titty.

1. One good sized chicken breast per person.

2. Coat in olive oil

3. Dust with schwartz garlic salt/granuals, mixed herbs and black pepper to taste

4. Heat the cadac grill pan (ridged side up) to it's full heat (use the domed lid for extra heat) place marinated chicken breasts on griddle and turn off cadac gas supply, sear on each side for 2 minutes.

5. Place in pre heated oven and just finish until cooked in middle, do not OVERCOOK

6. Serve with potatoes and veg of your choice

You will not taste better

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Sunny Chicken Suprise.

Zesty chicken roll ups with bacon and barbecue sauce. Roll out the red carpet and roll up some great barbecue flavor! You'll get raves, because chicken stays moist and bacon and sauce add an interesting taste.

The hard bit.

At least 4 hours before cooking: Roll each chicken breast (small end to large end), wrap with bacon slice and secure with toothpick or bamboo spear. Place rolled chicken breasts into a shallow glass container and add salad dressing to marinate. Cover and put in refrigerator for 2 hours, turning occasionally.

Right ready to go Sunny Chicken Suprise.

Lightly oil grill and preheat to high.

Remove chicken rolls from Fridge, and grill over hot coals or gas, until bacon browns; move to cooler spot on grill and cook another 25 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Baste with barbecue sauce, turning and basting for another 10 minutes or until ready to serve.

INGREDIENTS:

2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts

2 slices honey flavored bacon

1/2 cup Italian-style salad dressing

1/2 (18 ounce) bottle barbecue sauce

Enyoy Sunny Chicken Suprise.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our van came without an oven and to be honest, I thought we wouldn't miss one, but we were wrong. I love a bbq like everyone else but when it's lashing down we like to baton the hatches, chill a few wines, put a cd on and get cooking. A small roast in an oven would be ideal but we have been quite inventive using the 3 hobs. Our favourite meals include curries, spag bog with fresh basil and parmesan and shell-on prawns heated through in garlic butter. The ultimate though must be scallops flamed in Cointreau and served with a cream and chive sauce. (Good old Keith Floyd). We have found that the Cobb is a good substitute for an oven and have had really excellent chicken and lamb from it. Interestingly, the Big Hairy Bikers, recently on BBC2 used one quite a lot. If that doesn't whet your appetite, then I always keep a copy of the Good Pub Guide in the van for those occasions when an evening out is called for. God I love our time in the 'van. Now the new competition is called "Guess the 'van". From the flimsiest details guess what we've got! OK, OK but it's got to be better than testing screwdrivers. Best wishes, George T.

Mar 1, 2006
Visit site
We,ve jsut purchased our first van and having taken my parents van on a number of ocassions and used there oven i wouldn't be without one. Our caravan doesn't have an oven but we are getting one fitted.

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi all,

Does anyone really enjoy barbecued burnt sausages and half cooked steaks produced by macho men in frilly aprons?

Even the "aromas" from barbecues pervading (polluting?) the air of sites on summer evenings is a turn-off!

Rob S.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts