Ferry fares

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to bring up this same old, same old, but I've just tried booking my crossing for April, Dover - Dunkirk as usual, through Caravan Club..
Last year, £220, inc £60 for two dogs
This year, £554, inc £60 for two dogs!
Dover - Calais, £255, inc dogs.
Although I hate Calais I'm going there this time!
Caravan Club say the increase is simply because the crossing is now so popular.
Not with me it ain't!.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have used Dover Dunkirk for many trips and not only were the ferries good but the fares were much lower than to Calais. When I tried to book via CMHC or direct for this summer I was astonished at the price difference compared to Calais. Also even booking in October didn’t show many available slots for midi June 2018 unless you wanted unsociable sailings at night. I can’t believe the ferries were totally full that far in advance. So we decided to go with Calais. Something odd seems to be happening with the Dunkirk route as at the prices shown its only a matter of time before it goes out of business. It’s a good crossing but not that good that I would pay twice the Calais rate.

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
I'm out of touch with prices on the short crossings, but assume those figures are return, with caravan?

Even so the Dunkirk prices seem excessive........I've just booked a Bilbao-Portsmouth + 4 berth outside + caravan at £460 (one way) , which is pretty much the same as last year.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
otherclive said:
I have used Dover Dunkirk for many trips and not only were the ferries good but the fares were much lower than to Calais. When I tried to book via CMHC or direct for this summer I was astonished at the price difference compared to Calais. Also even booking in October didn’t show many available slots for midi June 2018 unless you wanted unsociable sailings at night. I can’t believe the ferries were totally full that far in advance. So we decided to go with Calais. Something odd seems to be happening with the Dunkirk route as at the prices shown its only a matter of time before it goes out of business. It’s a good crossing but not that good that I would pay twice the Calais rate.
hi otherclive.. its not going to go out of business car prices are still brilliant and comparable to calais heck just booked last weekend its also popular with freight which as you might be aware of DFDS has a background in.so 12 or 13 metres of car caravan each way £200 an hgv £300 ....more money in haulage and of course car decks cannot take caravans, so car are a bonus and there prices stay competitive .seems like DFDS want caravans to use the Calais route

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I've used Dunkirk for about fifteen years now, and when it was Norfolk Line it was superb. When it changed to DFDS it went downhill a bit, but still better than P&O, but not £300 better! P&O seem to cater for more school trips, so you lots of noisy kids running about the ship.
But I suppose i can suffer for a couple of hours.
Perhaps DFDS are trying to put us caravanners off. Well, it's working!

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Hi emmerson ,
Is the Eurotunnel not any cheaper ?
Certainly cheaper than Dunkirk, Craig, but my car is LPG powered, so can't use the tunnel.
I will next September when I take the camper van, though.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For geographic reasons I use western routes which effectively means Brittany Ferries.
I usually book pretty early using the Travel Club discounts and have been pretty happy with the prices. However, having to change bookings at relatively short notice I've been quite surprised by the increased prices. I change on line which avoids charges unless within a few days of travel.
I have to wonder that if a crossing has reached a breakeven plus x% figure the remaing bookings are not increased in prices as more money for less passengers ( and cabin cleaning etc) may not be the reason. An interesting algorithm for statistically savvy economists

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
With the cost of the Ferry prices and the Euro / Pound exchange rates, the appeal to go to Europe, is not there at this time, for us, so why do people go just now, is it for the "we have gone to " ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just to reinforce the point about freight, we were on the 1600 hrs ferry from Dunkirk on Saturday 6th January without the caravan and the ship was completely full with 95 commercial trucks (mostly artics) and 232 other vehicles. This was just one ferry in the day which means that a huge number of commercial vehicles use the Dunkirk route on a daily basis.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Bob_5041432 said:
Just to reinforce the point about freight, we were on the 1600 hrs ferry from Dunkirk on Saturday 6th January without the caravan and the ship was completely full with 95 commercial trucks (mostly artics) and 232 other vehicles. This was just one ferry in the day which means that a huge number of commercial vehicles use the Dunkirk route on a daily basis.[/quote

Your view is correct it is a very popular route and therefore commands a higher fee, not for us, but avoids the immigrate problems that they had in Calais, although when we have gone through Calais we have never had problems in the last 5 years.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
With the cost of the Ferry prices and the Euro / Pound exchange rates, the appeal to go to Europe, is not there at this time, for us, so why do people go just now, is it for the "we have gone to " ?

No it’s because we enjoy visiting new places and old favourites too. The exchange rate doesn’t really feature in our calculations as we aren’t excessive spenders and apart from the cost of the ferry which is a given touring in Europe is not any more expensive than in UK.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hutch, probably the main reason we go to Europe Spain at this time of year is 'weather'.
For the past 15 years we have missed UK weather January February March. Being elderly and asthmatic I have not had a cold or any similar problems in all this time. of course it is not a given had we stayed at home, but the chances would be much higher.
True the cost has increased over the years, but so has the cost of staying home, particularly heating oil and electricity since we need to keep warm.The savings in these offset the ferry fares. Then, we are able to bring home enough wine, olive oil etc for the summer with saving of up to 75% on UK prices. This may change post Brexit of course. Finally a psychological benefit of change of scene, company rather than relative rural isolation, continuation of 50 years of caravan touring, and a rest for OH who always finds something that 'needs doing' if at home.
For much the same reasons we have a shorter autumn break to France.
The number of years we shall be abke to continue this pattern is diminishing rapidly, so the final reason is 'because we still can'

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Ray, i take your point as I sit here at home at 11am looking out at a wet dreary day in Milton Keynes, thinking how many jars of Marmite would I need for two months away in France. Enjoy it all. :p

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
+£500 for Dover - Dunkirk.
We pay less than that for Hull - Zeebrugge including a cabin and all meals through the C&CC.
Thats a shocking price.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
To me the price seems to be on the basis that caravans are not really wanted as they can fill up with lorries who provide a better more stable stream of income. The lorries will be using the service regularly where the caravan probably is going to only make one return trip a year so they make the caravan pay through the nose as they do not care if the driver returns or not. From their point of view why upset a good customer by being unable to accommodate them for your caravans annual trip.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Trevor_374569540 said:
I had no trouble booking DFDS to Dunkirk when the Caravan Show was on at the NEC and I got Car, Caravan (7.1m) + 2 adults for £162.40
What times are the crossings and which month?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The CAMH have some good deals on offer at the moment on Dover Calais, at £84 or £144, depending on the sailing chosen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts