Fiamma Caravan Store

Mar 28, 2007
Visit site
I have a new Bailey Louisiana. Has anyone had any experience of the above sunshade, such as suitability, weight on awning rail and ease of use?

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
We had one fitted on prev van, very easy to fit and use. But on rerading a lot of posts concerning the fixing of the sides on UK vans and possibble dampness I contact both Lunar and Fiamma before fitting it to our new van. Lunar replied that they didnt recommend fitting to their vans and Fiamma didnt reply at all. As dampness was found in our last van when part exchanging it we havent fit the Carastore to the new van, better safe than sorry. It is a shame as it was waterproof and looked good when extended.

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
We've had a Caravanstore given to us with our last 2 vans Whilst we haven't bought the additional sides and front, I've found it be good on short trips where some shade from the sun is required.

Took it on a trip to Burrs Country Park last month and due to the wind being strong rolled it away. The wind then lifted the whole packed Caravanstore and proceeded to bang it against the side of the van. Luckily, it didn't cause any dents or marks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a Caravanstore Zip - Caravanstore with sides and front that all zip together. Fantastic piece of kit as I can use just the shade on its own or with the sides if I want. Don't bother with awning any more.

I use to have a Caravanstore without the zip sides but was so impressed, when the Zip came on the market I upgraded. I've used then for about 5 years on two different vans and have never suffered from any damp. I collected my current van after a service today and again it has a clean bill of health - no damp found.

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
The caravan store is permanently attatched to the awning rail of the van so when you are moving there is the posibility of stress. When you open the caravanstore you have 2 poles which tension aginst the side of the van therefore creating presure where the fabric is pulling. On continental vans the awning rail is secured by screws from the top but on UK vans the screws seciring the awning rail are on the side of the van.

Here is my origonal question and the reply recieved from Lunar

Q.We have just purchased a Delta 640EW and are considering putting our 3.6m Fiamma Carastore sun cannopy. However I received conflicting views on fitting them to UK vans as they are permanentkly attatched to the awning rail, I have been told that the streeses excerted can result in the awning rail leaking. Can you please tell me wether Lunar recomends the fitting of the Carastore to the vans or not.

A,

I have been speaking to our design department and they say they would not recommend you fit the Carastore to your caravan.

The same email was sent to Fiamma , but I recieved no reply.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Del,

As I said, 5 years, two vans no problems and both vans were Lunars. My next van will more than likely be a Lunar and I will continue to use my Caravanstore but you have made a good point. Up to now I have not suffered but nobody knows what the future holds, I'll be keeping an extra eye around the nearside awning rail in future.

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
Hi Simon

We are on Lunar number 4. 1st one was a 86 Micron , got some damp via the rear hand rail, didnt use a Caravanstore. 2nd was a 94 Meteorite which again no caravanstore and was bone dry when pxed in 2001. N03 was a Lexon EB, fitted a caravanstore and when we went to p/x it there was very high level of damp in the rear panels and the wall board was like a sponge. We now have number 4 which is a Delta 640EW and having heard conflicting views regarding the caravanstores I emailed both Fiamma and Lunar before fitting. Lunar replied Fiamma didnt . So I am taking no chances and havent fitted it.

I agree it is a great sun cannopy and we do miss it, will never know what was responsible for the leak but in this instance I will go with the advice given by Lunar

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Del,

I don't blame you. The only time I had some trouble with the caravanstore was when it was damaged in a storm near Avignon a couple of years ago. The insurance company wanted to know if it could be repaired rather than buying a new one. I emailed Fiamma explaining the damage and asking it could be repaired, they were very quick to reply telling me to buy a new one so they do know how to reply when its to their advantage.

As far as any risk of damp is concerned I take a different point of view. When you buy a new Lunar it comes with a three year water ingress guarantee included in the price (which invariably is not cheap). I have my van regularly serviced and always change my van before it is three years old. If the caravanstore caused any damp I'll get it repaired under the warranty. The terms say nothing about water ingress unless caused by caravanstore! My current van had service number two last week and has a certificate showing no damp or water ingress. Therefore long like the Caravanstore Zip.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts