Fiamma Caravanstore Awning

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Hi Guys

Not been on the forum for a while but just need some advice on the following:

I have a Fiamma Caravanstore roll up awning and have been told that the way to roll it back up into its bag is by rolling it inwards towards the vans bodywork then up to the bag.

Can it be rolled up normally upwards up to the top of the van instead of inwards up to top of van ?

Struggling to work out as to what difference it makes.

Perhaps their is someone on here who can advise as which is the normal way and why ?

Thanks

Tony

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
We don't tow our van with it still attached to the van so don't have that problem. We have had ours many years now. Alot of discussion on forums over the years re whether to tow with them in place or not. Several tales of effect on towing stability, excessive stress on awning rails etc. General consensus was to remove for towing, - but personal choice.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Sir Gab.......Thanks for the reply however i was not asking as to whether to have it in place when towing, i wanted to know do you roll it up inwards or outwards but i do thank you for the reply.

Tony.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sir Gab.......Thanks for the reply however i was not asking as to whether to have it in place when towing, i wanted to know do you roll it up inwards or outwards but i do thank you for the reply.

Tony.

Does it come with a handbook or a download from Fiamma? Could ask Fiamma their customer service is normally good.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
We have a fiamma caravanstore canopy and to roll it have the tube under the canopy whilst rolling this allows you to put the Velcro straps on to hold it in place so you can then put on the end straps on to secure it before zipping up the bag, ours is quite an old one but hope this helps.
Gra

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi Guys

Not been on the forum for a while but just need some advice on the following:

I have a Fiamma Caravanstore roll up awning and have been told that the way to roll it back up into its bag is by rolling it inwards towards the vans bodywork then up to the bag.

Can it be rolled up normally upwards up to the top of the van instead of inwards up to top of van ?

Struggling to work out as to what difference it makes.

Perhaps their is someone on here who can advise as which is the normal way and why ?

Thanks

Tony

As I understand you, you are only asking about rolling clockwise or anti clockwise when viewed from the end. I always roll inwards, towards the van, ( clockwise as viewed from the front of the van). Like you, I can’t see that it makes any difference. But I find that way is less stress on the wrists.

John

Jan 22, 2021
Visit site
Rolling it clockwise (as viewed from the front of the van) enables you to partly open the awning. I think you unroll it 6 turns and you may need the mounting blocks fitted to the side of the caravan, this is for models 3.6M or larger....Peter

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
We've had Caravanstores for many years. Most recently the XL size. (KiwiVanner makes an important point regarding partial "roll-out" of sizes 360 and upwards).

We have always rolled "underhand" (clockwise viewed from the front).

Our current canopy is quite new and the material is thinner than the previous Caravanstore Zip. It might be possible to roll the lighter version either way but underhand works for us.

Underhand the weight of the canopy is on the full palm of the hands rather than the thumbs if rolled counter clockwise - that makes it easier to control if caught by a gust of wind I think.

The Velcro straps still need to be considered as it's possible to roll them into the canopy but generally easily sorted.

We don't tow our van with it still attached to the van so don't have that problem. We have had ours many years now. Alot of discussion on forums over the years re whether to tow with them in place or not. Several tales of effect on towing stability, excessive stress on awning rails etc. General consensus was to remove for towing, - but personal choice.

As you've read we have always left ours attached for most of the year, certainly during the European trips. I'm just trying to understand what you mean when you say you don't tow with it attached to the van. Do you carry it inside the van then put it on and off every time you stop? Doesn't it get in the way inside the van - if that's where you carry it?
I'm also not clear where the "general consensus" has come from. I would have thought people using a caravanstore used it for convenience as much as anything - speed being important. My view is exactly the opposite to yours and I would claim any "general consensus" would point to travelling with it in the awning rail ready for use as the manufacturer intended. Removing and returning ours once a year (so that we can use a small inflatable awning in the winter months in the UK) is a job I don't really relish. To do it for every trip/stop would be unthinkable.

As for stability when towing it makes no difference on or off and the awning rail stress is probably less with it hanging passively in its bag than when out and caught by gusts of wind.

As you say, "personal choice". :unsure:

Reactions: jca and Jcloughie
Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
As I understand you, you are only asking about rolling clockwise or anti clockwise when viewed from the end. I always roll inwards, towards the van, ( clockwise as viewed from the front of the van). Like you, I can’t see that it makes any difference. But I find that way is less stress on the wrists.

John
Depends which end you view it from,Looking on one end it's clockwise,on the other end it's counter clockwise.
There is a video on Fiammaagent web site showing a couple rolling up and stowing the caravanstore canopy.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Depends which end you view it from,Looking on one end it's clockwise,on the other end it's counter clockwise.
There is a video on Fiammaagent web site showing a couple rolling up and stowing the caravanstore canopy.

My post said.

clockwise as viewed from the front of the van

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts