Finding correct tyres

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our caravan requires 4 x 175/65 R14 90 tyres. I enter the parameters into Google and search. Obviously Google brings up a load of supplier websites. All good until you enter the website and then notice that many do not offer you the choice of inputting the tyre size and load rating.

I get plenty of 175/65 R14 tyres, but not with the correct load rating. Many websites request that you input the reg of the vehicle which is useless for a caravan. Most tyres 175/65 R14 shown are 86 and not 90!

The search goes on because many suppliers do not realise that trailers also need tyres! :mad:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We have been through this before and I thought the forum had got the result. What tyres did you have fitted to start with ??
What tyres does your dealer state should be fitted. ?
What tyres do you have on the van at the moment ?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Currently we probably have the Ovation which are 6 years old and at last service it was found that they are cracked on the inside. My issue is not about the type of tyre etc.

The issue is that many tyre fitter websites do not have the facility for the consumer to select the tyre size and load rating. Just makes it a bit more difficult when searching for a suitable tyre. Not a big deal, just annoying!:D

Currently looking a Nexen or Falken which seem to be suitable and at a reasonable price for a mid range tyre. Looking at doing the tyres next month before Easter so no rush.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve never found a tyre seller website that doesn’t allow me to input its size. I never try to input speed or load index even if there is the option. That way I get a wide spread of options, and knowing my speed and load index minima I can select the tyres that are suitable.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Try searching for 175:70 R14C. The C denotes that they are intended for light commercial vehicles which is what most caravan tyres are. They are designed for Ford Transit type vans and trucks which carry heavier loads.
Before you buy I suggest you also check the date of manufacture too. It is recommended but, it's not law that caravan tyres are changed every five years. It's ten years on a vehicle. This recommendation goes by date of manufacture, not date of fitting. So, you don't want to buy tyres that have been in store for a year or two if you do follow the recommendation.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Our caravan requires 4 x 175/65 R14 90 tyres. I enter the parameters into Google and search. Obviously Google brings up a load of supplier websites. All good until you enter the website and then notice that many do not offer you the choice of inputting the tyre size and load rating.

I get plenty of 175/65 R14 tyres, but not with the correct load rating. Many websites request that you input the reg of the vehicle which is useless for a caravan. Most tyres 175/65 R14 shown are 86 and not 90!

The search goes on because many suppliers do not realise that trailers also need tyres! :mad:
All the tyre suppliers I choose from offer a choice of entering the vehicle registration or entering the tyre size - I use the tyre size for both car and caravan as the car isn't on OE sized tyres!

Do you need/want mobile fitting? In any locality, a number of suppliers will come out to your home or storage and fit the tyres there - I've just had mine done by Trade Tyres Shenstone who charged just £10 for the call-out - there should be something similar in your area.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Try searching for 175:70 R14C. The C denotes that they are intended for light commercial vehicles which is what most caravan tyres are. They are designed for Ford Transit type vans and trucks which carry heavier loads.
Before you buy I suggest you also check the date of manufacture too. It is recommended but, it's not law that caravan tyres are changed every five years. It's ten years on a vehicle. This recommendation goes by date of manufacture, not date of fitting. So, you don't want to buy tyres that have been in store for a year or two if you do follow the recommendation.
On a twin axle caravan the OP may not need "C" rated tyres, "XL" may be adequate - but he's doing it the correct way by using the Load Index, in this case "90" to get the correct tyres.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks. Our caravan does not have commercial tyres as it is a twin axle, just the high load rating. Not sure if there is a difference between a commercial tyre at 90 or a car tyre with 90 load?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. Our caravan does not have commercial tyres as it is a twin axle, just the high load rating. Not sure if there is a difference between a commercial tyre at 90 or a car tyre with 90 load?
My tyres have a good selection of tyres of your size. They tend to be dual rated 88/90 which reflects usage on light trucks with two tyres on each end of tge axle or one tyre at each end of the axle. So an 88/90 would be suitable fir your TA usage

LIGHT TRUCK TYRE LOAD INDEX​

The load index on light truck tyres is different from that of passenger cars: it usually has two ratings separated by a slash. This is because most light truck tyres are designed to be used in a dual back wheel system with two tyres side by side. The first number is the load rating when the tyre is used alone and the second is the rating when it is used as a dual tyre. The dual rating is usually lower to cover situations where one tyre in the pair fails and the other has to carry the full load.

Reactions: JTQ
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
90 is 90 why seek to complicate what is a relatively straightforward activity.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
175/65R14 90N inserted straight into Google brings up a Michelin Agilis 175/65R14 T90/88 C at £118.99 from Halfords. T90/88 means max speed of 118mph, 90/88 means load factor of 90 when used as a pair or 88 when used as a foursome as you need. C indicates a commercial vehicle tyre, i.e. it is likely reinforced.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My tyres have a good selection of tyres of your size. They tend to be dual rated 88/90 which reflects usage on light trucks with two tyres on each end of tge axle or one tyre at each end of the axle. So an 88/90 would be suitable fir your TA usage

LIGHT TRUCK TYRE LOAD INDEX​

The load index on light truck tyres is different from that of passenger cars: it usually has two ratings separated by a slash. This is because most light truck tyres are designed to be used in a dual back wheel system with two tyres side by side. The first number is the load rating when the tyre is used alone and the second is the rating when it is used as a dual tyre. The dual rating is usually lower to cover situations where one tyre in the pair fails and the other has to carry the full load.
I used My Tyres many years ago, but sadly now the fitting stations in our locality are not suitable for caravan.

Who ever I choose, I need to be able to input my own parameters on tyre size etc and that is where quite a few websites fall down. The few that I have found, the issue is a suitable centre for the tyres to be fitted as not many can accommodate a caravan.

The place that we have used in the past has changed locality and although the yard is big enough for a caravan, access with a caravan is extremely difficult and probably dangerous due to its location next to a set of traffic lights on the main road in Malvern. Exiting it is even worse.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
IMO the point Clive is making re the dual load rating, is an important one to take onboard.

Those tyres the manufacturer has considered their tyre is suitable to the twin axle use.
There that rating will be lower than for single axle use.

There is no great struggle if the vendor's website does not flag up the rating, having identified a specific tyre simply research its specification, at least the maker ought to know and put that in their spec, if not then IMO, simply dismiss even considering that one.

A way bigger challenge, particularly relevant to our caravan usage, is ascertaining any insight into the durability and UV damage resistance of the polymer used in the sidewalls; here my experience is there is "chalk & cheese" differences. Unfortunately that taking as low as two three or way better up to 7 years to become evident.

Edit: as has been pointed out I had misunderstood the basis of the dual load rating of tyres; so please ignore that part of this post,
Thanks for the correction.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
IMO the point Clive is making re the dual load rating, is an important one to take onboard.

Those tyres the manufacturer has considered their tyre is suitable to the twin axle use.

There is no great struggle if the vendor's website does not flag up the rating, having identified a specific tyre simply research its specification, at least the maker ought to know and put that in their spec, if not then IMO, simply dismiss even considering that one.

A way bigger challenge, particularly relevant to our caravan usage, is ascertaining any insight into the durability and UV damage resistance of the polymer used in the sidewalls; here my experience is there is "chalk & cheese" differences. Unfortunately that taking as low as two three or way better up to 7 years to become evident.
Thanks JTQ which is why we are looking at a mid range tyre for a bit more durability instead of similar to the cheap budget tyres fitted by manufacturers.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
175/65R14 90N inserted straight into Google brings up a Michelin Agilis 175/65R14 T90/88 C at £118.99 from Halfords. T90/88 means max speed of 118mph, 90/88 means load factor of 90 when used as a pair or 88 when used as a foursome as you need. C indicates a commercial vehicle tyre, i.e. it is likely reinforced.
The reduced load rating of "88" isn't for twin axle trailers/caravans, it's for when dual wheels are fitted at each end of the rear axle.

Where two load ratings are given, it's the first/higher rating that applies to caravans whether single axle or twin axle.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

That's incorrect - see my post above - the dual rating doesn't apply to twin axle trailers/caravans.

Reactions: JTQ
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I am looking at mid range tyres for a caravan and not premium tyres for a car. The issue is not the tyre, but many websites not allowing you to select tyre load and you have to scroll through dozens of tyres to even locate one that fits your parameters.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

It’s not about twin axle or single axle use fir a caravan/trailer. The dual load rating relates to having two tyres at each end of the axle or one tyre at each end of the axle. The quotation in my above post comes from PirellI. If Buckman caravan requires a 90 LI then a 88/90 is suitable.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I found the best way to get the tyres was to ring the suppliers. They all stock them or will get them for you. Possibly the web is not always the answer.

You are correct. The few that do offer the choice for load rating are either too far away or their locality is not somewhere where you would not like to go with a caravan especially a twin axle i.e. through the city centre.

Anyway I now have a reasonable idea of cost of the four tyres so will start phoning around the places that I know can accommodate a caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whilst I appreciate on line sellers often have better deals, if they don't have the size or rating you're looking for then obviously you should ignore them, alternatively as others have suggested give them a ring.

But also don't forget that your caravan dealer if they sell the caravan should be able to get the correct size of tyre, it may cost more but that is perhaps a consideration when buying the caravan if you can get the tyre from other low cost sources.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Whilst I appreciate on line sellers often have better deals, if they don't have the size or rating you're looking for then obviously you should ignore them, alternatively as others have suggested give them a ring.

But also don't forget that your caravan dealer if they sell the caravan should be able to get the correct size of tyre, it may cost more but that is perhaps a consideration when buying the caravan if you can get the tyre from other low cost sources.
On a previous caravan we approached the dealer about changing the tyres while it was in for a service. The cost was eye watering in comparison to taking the caravan to a tyre fitter. Never bother since with taking it to a caravan dealer as they add on a hefty cut on top of the original price as if they do not want the hassle.

Just to add found a suitable tyre fitter where there is plenty of space for the caravan and will be having Falken tyres fitted as they are mid range. Cost of the tyre includes everything like balancing and disposal which are normally extras.

May 18, 2006
Visit site
Our Buccaneer had Ovation tyres fitted from new, they were C rated. I replaced the tyres on my Buccaneer back end of last year with Lassa tyres which are C rated. Not a bad price, but hopefully better quality then the Ovations.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have used Kwik Fit mobile service, wouldn't use their depots, but when we had wheels replaced under warranty on Coachman Kwik Fit Mobile van came swapped tyres to new wheels and did excellent job, think he was based in Yeovil

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts