Fire extinguisher, fire blanket or both?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thankyou OC.

Its over twenty years since I did a practical fire extinguisher training course, and perhaps I'm getting mixed up with a water spray rather than mist extinguisher's that are available to-day.

But I do wonder how effective a 1kg water mist extinguisher might be in a caravan if it has caught.

But regardless of the types of fire extinguisher that's available, in the event of a fire in a caravan the prime activity has to be evacuation, and as the video I posted you don't have long before you might be overcome with smoke.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thankyou OC.

Its over twenty years since I did a practical fire extinguisher training course, and perhaps I'm getting mixed up with a water spray rather than mist extinguisher's that are available to-day.

But I do wonder how effective a 1kg water mist extinguisher might be in a caravan if it has caught.

But regardless of the types of fire extinguisher that's available, in the event of a fire in a caravan the prime activity has to be evacuation, and as the video I posted you don't have long before you might be overcome with smoke.

As said the primary use is to help with evacuating people and secondly with a bit of luck extinguishing the fire. It is definitely not there to tackle any major blaze.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
My caravan has a 1kg dry powder extinguisher - I have another in the car but that's not really relevant to the discussion.

My opinion of fire extinguishers has always been that unless you're a trained firefighter, a handheld fire extinguisher is for protecting your own or someone else's escape route - once life is safe, anything else is the insurance company's problem. As a trained, and fairly frequently practised, F/E user, I MIGHT have a go at tackling a small fire to protect property, but only once I was certain everyone was safe and my own exit route couldn't be compromised. In practice, in any caravan fire, I wouldn't remain inside except to preserve life - there's only one usable exit and the risk from flashover or smoke too great.

My choice of dry powder is because I believe it's the best extinguisher for someone who isn't a trained firefighter to get a satisfactory outcome with. I know others will have their own opinion but that's mine - based on the fact that with CO2 there's a risk of the fire restarting once air movement has blown the CO2 away, and CO2 extinguishers can cause injury if used incorrectly. Water and many foams aren't suitable for use where there may be live electricity. Dry powder causes a mess, but so does fire so I'm not really concerned about cleaning up afterwards!

I have a F/B at home but not in the caravan - even if I managed to knock a fire down with a blanket, I wouldn't be happy that there wasn't smouldering hidden behind a panel somewhere. In a brick built house that's less likely.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My caravan has a 1kg dry powder extinguisher - I have another in the car but that's not really relevant to the discussion.

My opinion of fire extinguishers has always been that unless you're a trained firefighter, a handheld fire extinguisher is for protecting your own or someone else's escape route - once life is safe, anything else is the insurance company's problem. As a trained, and fairly frequently practised, F/E user, I MIGHT have a go at tackling a small fire to protect property, but only once I was certain everyone was safe and my own exit route couldn't be compromised. In practice, in any caravan fire, I wouldn't remain inside except to preserve life - there's only one usable exit and the risk from flashover or smoke too great.

My choice of dry powder is because I believe it's the best extinguisher for someone who isn't a trained firefighter to get a satisfactory outcome with. I know others will have their own opinion but that's mine - based on the fact that with CO2 there's a risk of the fire restarting once air movement has blown the CO2 away, and CO2 extinguishers can cause injury if used incorrectly. Water and many foams aren't suitable for use where there may be live electricity. Dry powder causes a mess, but so does fire so I'm not really concerned about cleaning up afterwards!

I have a F/B at home but not in the caravan - even if I managed to knock a fire down with a blanket, I wouldn't be happy that there wasn't smouldering hidden behind a panel somewhere. In a brick built house that's less likely.

A good reply however according to the blurb a water mist extinguisher will put out an electrical fire.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A good reply however according to the blurb a water mist extinguisher will put out an electrical fire.
Let me be very clear, I am not suggesting we shouldn't carry and use fire extinguishers, we need to understand the limited size of most caravan fire extinguishers and how they might be sufficient to aid evacuation, but realistically one extinguisher is not going to save a caravan if fire has taken hold.

Even though manufacturers have to use fire retardant fabrics, there is still plenty of combustible material in most caravans.

Specifically concerning fires caused by electrical faults in caravans, fortunately they are not particularly common but when they do happen, I would not expect a water mist extinguisher to be able to do more than quell the fire for a while.

The mist apparently works in two ways, firstly its so fine it occludes oxygen from the seat of the fire, and being droplets of liquid water and it might absorb heat which cools the fuel and makes it less likely to ignite.

However the limited capacity (1l) of the typical hand held extinguisher may only temporarily reduce an electrical fire - may be enough to allow evacuation, but I suspect there is a real danger if the remaining heat will quickly evaporate the laid down moisture and the fire may re establish if the cause has not been electrically isolated.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
........by far the top priority is a working smoke alarm.

Caravans already have an advantage in that they are relatively easy to evacuate to safety provided you have an early warning of a fire.
IMO a fire extinguisher and blanket should be positioned by the exit door as first response would be to evacuate everyone to a safe distance.
Only then could a blanket or extinguisher be accessed to tackle a small fire keeping an escape route close behind you.

............. as has been said, probably best to leave the blanket and extinguisher sitting in their holders.

Reactions: ProfJohnL and Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Let me be very clear, I am not suggesting we shouldn't carry and use fire extinguishers, we need to understand the limited size of most caravan fire extinguishers and how they might be sufficient to aid evacuation, but realistically one extinguisher is not going to save a caravan if fire has taken hold.

Even though manufacturers have to use fire retardant fabrics, there is still plenty of combustible material in most caravans.

Specifically concerning fires caused by electrical faults in caravans, fortunately they are not particularly common but when they do happen, I would not expect a water mist extinguisher to be able to do more than quell the fire for a while.

The mist apparently works in two ways, firstly its so fine it occludes oxygen from the seat of the fire, and being droplets of liquid water and it might absorb heat which cools the fuel and makes it less likely to ignite.

However the limited capacity (1l) of the typical hand held extinguisher may only temporarily reduce an electrical fire - may be enough to allow evacuation, but I suspect there is a real danger if the remaining heat will quickly evaporate the laid down moisture and the fire may re establish if the cause has not been electrically isolated.

However it must be remembered that more than likely the trip switch in the caravan has worked and if you extinguish the electric fire it should not reignite as the condition has been removed. Just a thought.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
We have a fire blanket by the cooker and are considering the best location for a fire extinguisher. At first I was thinking of the door but this discussion leads me think by the bed would be better. My logic is that as escape is the first priority we would be awake anywhere else, notice a fire and get out. Whilst asleep the first warning would be the smoke alarm, between the bed and the door is the battery, consumer unit, charger, cooker and gas locker, all potential fire hazards.

Does that make sense?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have a fire blanket by the cooker and are considering the best location for a fire extinguisher. At first I was thinking of the door but this discussion leads me think by the bed would be better. My logic is that as escape is the first priority we would be awake anywhere else, notice a fire and get out. Whilst asleep the first warning would be the smoke alarm, between the bed and the door is the battery, consumer unit, charger, cooker and gas locker, all potential fire hazards.

Does that make sense?
Ours is near the door as we can be sleeping at both ends of the caravan especially if our granddaughter is with us, but also when there are just the two of us. But the smoke alarm is the key element which in a caravan is particularly noticeable. At night we never have the gas fire on, nor do we use the Truma electric heater when sleeping and the water heater isn’t on either. TV unplugged too. If it’s cold the dogs have fleeces on and our sleeping bags are toasty.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I do the same as OC I switch everything off when going to bed except the fridge and suppose the water pump is on but would only activate if one of us turned on a tap, I do similar when going to bed at home, I go round and switch off anything unnecessary, I’ve always done this, it’s a habit that my wife thinks is not needed but it only takes a few minutes.

BP

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
With ours only a 2 berth caravan every thing is near the door but the smoke alarm that is essential bit of kit the fridge is on but the Tv , gas fire and the water heater is off we also have sleeping bags and that keeps us warm .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Many years ago when still novices to caravans we bought a brand new caravan plus fire blanket and fire extinguisher. We asked the dealer to fit the items for us. In addition we asked if they would swap over the jockey wheel assembly.
On arrival to collect our brand new caravan the technician had jacked up the front of the caravan to pull the jockey wheel assembly through the hole. The back steadies were still down so caravan wheels were nearly off the ground. I asked the salesman what was happening and he nearly had a fit and told the technician to lower the caravan and unscrew the assembly.
When that was done we went inside the fire extinguisher was fitted by the door so no issue. However the fire blanket was fitted on the wall behind the hob so when the glass was raised it was behind the hob glass. If there was fire on the hob there was no way you could access the fire blanket. No doubt if was fitted by the same idiot technician.
Just to add about 3 years later we had an issue with the walls bulging outwards and pulling away from the inside furniture. There was no argument about the repair and it was done at the factory. Caravan was damp free for the 6 years that we owned it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
However it must be remembered that more than likely the trip switch in the caravan has worked and if you extinguish the electric fire it should not reignite as the condition has been removed. Just a thought.
I would not assume that to be the case. Just consider if an appliance has gone faulty and has enough power available to cause a fire, it probably means the current limiting device has not operated. Therefore it is highly likely the appliance could still be live, and the fault might still be able to reignite a fire.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Whilst in occupation 90% of caravan fires start on the hob. Invariably you will be faced with hot oil or similar. Picking up a burning oil container is dangerous. You may get burnt or more likely drop it.
My Wyoming is twelve years old .It can be replaced but I can’t.
Rule one for me is get everyone out ASAP. Then if you must try and fight the fire with your extinguishers. Doubt they will help😥.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I rely on a reliable smoke detector with fresh batteries (Duracell) every season and a quick response to get out and watch it burn from as far away as I could get.

BP

Me too.

I am not surprised there are many opinions in this thread. I just did some research Googling things like:

’Fire service advice for caravaners’

And the advice from different counties is just as diverse. No consensus from those that do suggest an extinguisher as to which type. Some suggest a blanket. Some nothing. Even those that do advocate having an extinguisher and fire blanket state that in case of fire just get out.

Both clubs differ in their advice.

The only consensus it on a smoke detector.

My brother, a retired fireman who has been caravanning for over 40 years has nothing.

I can’t find it right now, but I once saw a video mde by one of the brigades, but with a more modern van than the one in the Profs example in #7. In this they insisted that above all just get out, call the emergency services, and to just leave the fire to them.

As I remember, they said dry powder can cause even more damage, the only decent one is Halon which has been banned since 1994.

John

Feb 6, 2021
Visit site
So what was the consensus of opinion? Extinguisher? Blanket ? Both ? What and on the fire subject, what about smoke alarms? We have one in our van that is fitted by the door but no battery in it when we bought it 20 months ago and I’m embarrassed to admit that we’ve never actually put one in it as yet 😳 to be fair because of the pandemic we’ve hardly been away in it yet either but still! So, should I put a battery in? Should I be replacing it as I know not how old it is or should I just leave it as it is and not use?

Feb 6, 2021
Visit site
So what was the consensus of opinion? Extinguisher? Blanket ? Both ? What and on the fire subject, what about smoke alarms? We have one in our van that is fitted by the door but no battery in it when we bought it 20 months ago and I’m embarrassed to admit that we’ve never actually put one in it as yet 😳 to be fair because of the pandemic we’ve hardly been away in it yet either but still! So, should I put a battery in? Should I be replacing it as I know not how old it is or should I just leave it as it is and not use?
I should add, in my last van we had one and it kept going off almost every time we cooked in the van

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I should add, in my last van we had one and it kept going off almost every time we cooked in the van

New alarms with what some call ‘toast safe’ or something like that. Which are supposed to give fewer false alarms. Are quiet cheap and easy to fit. So I would suggest a new one would be prudent.

For example.

Some also have a button to cancel or reduce sensitivity for a short period while cooking.

John

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We have smoke detector with new battery every year, CO detector, fire blanket for hob fires, 2kg dry powder extinguisher (not date expired) by caravan door plus a 2kg dry powder extinguisher in car boot and a 900g dry powder extinguisher under car front passenger seat - in the event of fire or the alarms going off, we'll all get out and only tackle the fire if safe to do so.

I wonder how many people have got extinguishers beyond their disposal date, or alarms with old/none batteries.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts