Fire extinguisher, fire blanket or both?

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
John, I appreciate your concern but....

You'll notice that in both the Caravan Club advice (not regulations) and the notification on the van that the first rule is to get everyone out. Then consider tackling the fire. After that it gets a bit vague.

I would not be competent or have the desire to tackle a fire once everyone is clear of the vehicle. Going close to switch off the gas seems a potential risk. Disconnecting electricty less so. Having an extinguisher near the door may be ok but not if the fire is between you and it or possibly means going back in to get it.

I have no intention of lending or renting my van to anyone else.

I doubt very much that Health and Saftey would be concerned about lack of fire fighting equipment in the van since smoke and CO detectors are the only apparent mandatory fittings.

100% agree.

So called ‘expert’ advice is far from consistent. All the ones I have seen from various sources, both clubs, and various fire authorities. Say a smoke alarm is essential. Which is excellent.

After that, advice on blankets, extinguishers, and types of extinguishers, varies.

The other consistent advice coming through is to get out.

Given that we are constantly told not to fight a fire if we don’t feel competent and never to return to the source, It begs the question at what point are we supposed to use the equipment.

The NCC state ‘Attack fire if safe to do so’. Which is contradictory to the never return advice.

I wish I could find the one brigades advice with video I saw some time ago, this showed that the speed of fire spread and damage done made it a futile endeavour.

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
See #40. My advice is first and foremost about preservation of life. Smoke alarms and CO alarms are essential, and must be regularly tested.
I carry two extinguishers, one is Co2 the other dry powder. Never used them nor do I intend to. I expect they will work but like a match it’s only when you strike it you know it works! Even compliant ones do fail😢. Contrary to popular belief the gas cylinders rarely explode. Rather the seals break and the gas ignites . However some cylinders have been known to take off like a rocket . So again get out and stand a good distance away until the emergency services arrive.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Bought a new extinguisher (dry powder) when we started vanning 44 years ago, and I think virtually every year after 5/6 all the 'magazines experts' used to recommend replacing them after 5/6 years, so after35+ I bought a new 'un. Did I 'sling' the old 'un, no , I carried 2! After a while and trying to be a good boy and reduce the load on the van took the old 'un out. For it to reside in the garage/workshop just in case of 'mishap' in there. (Well it may as well join the other 50+ years of that stuff that 'I'll hang on to that might just need it one day' and there's alot of that!) However sat on the deck chair one summers day had occasion to go into garage for something. Had to move the extinguisher for some reason, so when I went to 'relaxing' again this extinguisher went with me. Couldn't read any of the 'destructions' on it - too worn. 'shook' it looked at it again. it can't work after all this time (40 years I reckon) Kept looking the red collar on the plunger was quite slack, and 'somehow' it got removed! And you know as the thoughts go through your mind, will it won't it? Can't do! However somehow that plunger got a thump. Result the whitest lawn I've seen, (amazing how much powder there is in one of those little things?) Excited that it worked? --- NO ,,,,,, gutted that I'd wasted money on a new one.!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Bought a new extinguisher (dry powder) when we started vanning 44 years ago, and I think virtually every year after 5/6 all the 'magazines experts' used to recommend replacing them after 5/6 years, so after35+ I bought a new 'un. Did I 'sling' the old 'un, no , I carried 2! After a while and trying to be a good boy and reduce the load on the van took the old 'un out. For it to reside in the garage/workshop just in case of 'mishap' in there. (Well it may as well join the other 50+ years of that stuff that 'I'll hang on to that might just need it one day' and there's alot of that!) However sat on the deck chair one summers day had occasion to go into garage for something. Had to move the extinguisher for some reason, so when I went to 'relaxing' again this extinguisher went with me. Couldn't read any of the 'destructions' on it - too worn. 'shook' it looked at it again. it can't work after all this time (40 years I reckon) Kept looking the red collar on the plunger was quite slack, and 'somehow' it got removed! And you know as the thoughts go through your mind, will it won't it? Can't do! However somehow that plunger got a thump. Result the whitest lawn I've seen, (amazing how much powder there is in one of those little things?) Excited that it worked? --- NO ,,,,,, gutted that I'd wasted money on a new one.!
Hi Pete I love reading your post it was Absolutely brilliant

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts