Fire Extinguishers

Jun 15, 2005
Visit site
having to fit a fire extinguisher to the caravan and being aware of caravan build structure i thought i would seek advise on how best to do this without causing unsightly damage to walls etc.having bought it from our local halfords i wondered if i need a special cradle to fit to C/van.

any advise please.

shane

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Shane,

Pleased to hear that you've bought a fire extinguisher and hope you never need to use it.

I believe it's more important to consider where you mount it in the van, so that it is readily accessible when you need it, but not in a vulnerable position so that it keeps getting knocked.

We fitted ours using the bracket that came with the extinguisher, and used two bolts and two flat washers to hold it to an external cupboard wall. When you mount the extinguisher you should consider it a permanent addition, leave it in when you sell the van, etc.

Robert

Aug 25, 2005
Visit site
As A fellow caravanner & serving firefighter & also in previous employment an extinguisher engineer, you should always mount it where easily accessable but not so it gets knocked or damaged also try protect from the sun & damp.

Next to the door is a good place baring in mind the above but this is because you should be on your way out from a fire then grab the extinguisher not having to go in deeper into the van to retrieve it.

Leaflets for caravan fire safety are available from your local fire safety department at your local fire station.

Beware of the fact that extinguisher should be serviced every year by a competent person & every 5 years require a discharge test. You may find that the cheaper ones from likes of Halfords are disposable after 5 years so it may be cheaper buying from a local extinguisher company who can service & dischrge it when required. If you need more info let me know cheers

May 12, 2005
Visit site
I haven`t mounted mine but place it on a shelf by the door when we park up, if we put the awning up it the lives on a table by the door flap.

Tony A.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Why do people keep a bucket of water by their caravan. Surely a bucket of water on a chip pan fire or similar is more dangerous than using the proper extinguisher. Also if it was an electrical fire a bucket of water coudl be hazardous to one's health.

I have a small fire extinguisher purchased from the caravan shop however it does not look like one that can be serviced. Service will probably cost more than what the extinguisher is worth.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Pails of water are usually seen more on C&CC sites, not compulsory of course, but I think it's one of their guide lines. This would be useful in the case of a tent or caravan fire.....obviously not a chip pan!!

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
The one shot disposable fire extinguishers seem to be available in three sizes; approx 500gram, 1kg or 2kg of dry fill charge. If you have practiced putting out a fire with one of these extinguishers, the 1kg size should be sufficient for a small fire.

A bucket of water is fine to throw over an awning, but little else, and nothing inside the van.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
the probable reason for the fire pail together with the fire extinquisher and fire blanket will be seen at most caravan rallies. and whether the pail of water has any values these days someone on this forum will enlighten us!

however I beleive that having all 3 available cannot be a negative requirement. (even if the fire pails water is used for the kids water pistols.

Aug 25, 2005
Visit site
Size does matter check the fire ratings on the extinguisher body. A 13A means it can extinguish 1.3m of a standard test crib of a class A fire which is wood, paper, textiles basically organic materials.

8B means it can extinguish 8 litres of fuel in a standard test tray of a class B fire which is Flammable liquids.

The size of extinguishers used in vans are designed for small fires therefore the ratings are lower.

If you buy a powder type which is ideal for a van then make sure it is an ABC class type designed for textiles, flammable liquids & gaseous fires. You do get just BC types so beware & buy the right one.

Follow the link for information http://www.firesafe.org.uk/html/fsequip/exting.htm

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts