First Outing - Survived!

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site
The plan was all well and good, a couple of nights somewhere 'local' to try out our freshly acquired caravan. However family circumstances intervened, so our 'local' test trip turned into a tow from Oswestry to just beyond Carlisle! That said, it went very well. Our Seat Alhambra pulled the van beautifully.
I learned a few things during this trip! 1st thing I learned is the massive variety in how good towing mirrors are. I had a selection available due to buying a Halfords Clearview mirror (actually believing I'd bought a pair), then finding one in van, and finally being given some from a friend that didn't fit his car. All of them seemed to vibrate a lot except the Halfords one which was easily the best mirror and best view too. I will probably be getting a 2nd one eventually.
Next thing I learned was what a pain motorway services can be with a caravan. Heading North, Charnock Richard did have a signposted caravan area, but it was full of transits and Lutons. Grrr! I ended up reversing into a coach bay. On the return trip, Lancaster Services said "Caravans Left" but then no mention of Caravans on any signs after that and I realised too late that caravans mixed in with the trucks. So we carried on to Charnock RIchard southbound which was absolutely heaving as it was 1pm, and we ended up taking the last place in the truck park. As we passed Chester the kids needed a toilet stop and I was dreading another services experience but I was pleasantly surprised- Chester services were brilliant - clear signs leading to a great big area for Caravans and Coaches.
The site we stayed on was friendly and quiet. The showers and toilets were spotless. The only negative would be after some heavy rain the pitch didn't drain well, though the kids loved splashing around.
Regarding the caravan, having pre-cooled the fridge on mains I am dubious whether the 12v element is doing anything at all as it didn't feel too cold upon arrival. The other things we discovered were a slightly leaking skylight (in torrential rain) and a similarly slightly leaking window. We'll crack on with fixing these soon.
We took advice from an old hand that if we were leaving today we might consider getting the awning down last night while it was dry, to avoid a wet pack down. This turned out to be exactly the right advice.
Overall we had a great time, we were warm and dry, we ate well, and the kids can't wait for the next outing. The highlight for me was cooking bacon and eggs for breakfast this morning...!

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Sounds great hope you continue to enjoy!
Might seem elemental but depending on the 'van you might have to switch the control panel to 'car', or switch the fridge over to the battery setting, or both in order for the fridge to continue to cool when the engine is running.!
Refitting a rooflight was an old DIY topic in PC magazine, but may also appear on YouTube!

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site
audiorob said:
Might seem elemental but depending on the 'van you might have to switch the control panel to 'car', or switch the fridge over to the battery setting, or both in order for the fridge to continue to cool when the engine is running.!
Refitting a rooflight was an old DIY topic in PC magazine, but may also appear on YouTube!
Thanks - with engine running I have confirmed 12v is reaching fridge, so think its something more involved. I found an old forum post on refitting a rooflight and it doesn't look too bad, so definitely give that a go!

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
timhowarduk said:
We took advice from an old hand that if we were leaving today we might consider getting the awning down last night while it was dry, to avoid a wet pack down.
When I was a kid our family camped most weekends of the year, usually arriving Friday night and returning home Sunday - not usually more than 40 miles away. My father was so paranoid about a wet pack that if it were dry, even in a heat wave or drought, he would be taking the tent down first thing on Sunday morning around our ears almost before we had dressed. We spent the rest of the Sunday sitting in the field with just chairs and a table out :S

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Glad it went well. You're absolutely right about some of our motorway services and the selfishness of some other drivers who can't be bothered to use their allocated areas. But to be honest it can be just as bad in France, although you don't get threatened with penalty notices. I too go in with the trucks if there's no caravan space.

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
It's good to hear your first trip went well and you're already looking forward to the next one.
There's alot to learn as a newbie, but you'll soon pick it up, people tend to be friendly on sites and you can always ask here!! :cheer:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts