First outing this year

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
Dusty wrote - "Access to the the pitches is tight so the wardens move your caravan into place and get it level for you" -- That sounds like a good enough reason to me to not use the site !? :(
And me, GG. My van, my risk, thank you.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Currently relaxing at Wheathill near Ludlow, a past Woosie venue.
Steve.
The facilities at Bath Chew Valley are excellent.
Access to the the pitches is tight so the wardens move your caravan into place and get it level for you.
A five minute walk up the lane takes you to the local pub. Red Lion I think.
Hope the Sorie performs well :)

How long are you at Wheathill for DD?
Our trip to Chew Valley is mainly about finding out how the Sorrie does, I have to sort out the towing electrics before we go though. :unsure:
I went to the caravan storage yesterday for a first time plug in and the 12n seems to have all of the lights flickering and flashing with the one indicator that's working.
Looks like a trip to Towsure on Monday to get a new socket.
As for the arrangements at Chew Valley, their site, their rules so each to their own. I'm fairly certain that the staff there will have pitched a caravan or two before :p

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
That was/isn't my particular worry, Parksy, but if it ain't good enough for me to drive it in then I don't want to be there. But if there isn't sufficient room for us 'novices' to pitch, then the 'living space' must be fairly limited also?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
That was/isn't my particular worry, Parksy, but if it ain't good enough for me to drive it in then I don't want to be there. But if there isn't sufficient room for us 'novices' to pitch, then the 'living space' must be fairly limited also?
As I mentioned before, I've no idea how large or small the pitches are because I've never been there before although the pictures look ok and they know what size my caravan is.
The reviews that I've read so far are positive and from what I can gather their 'valet pitching' is more to do with preventing novices or drivers who can't reverse from churning up grass verges or from damaging the surroundings.
There is advice that pre-booking is usually necessary so this site must be fairly busy for most of the time and the reviews that I've read don't mention any massive problems.
We're only going there to try the Sorento out to see how it tows, we won't be using our awning for the short time that we're there, it's an easy tow in under two hours for us so if we don't like it we won't go back, simples. ;)

Edit:
I'm beginning to feel slightly under attack here for some reason.
I wish I'd never mentioned that we're visiting this site that is consistently near to the Practical Caravan top 100 sites list and which is part of the Best of British sites organisation
If what's on offer is not what you'd expect from a site it's probably best not to visit it, I seem to have to justify my own choice before I've hitched the caravan to see for myself.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Parksy
Hope you enjoy your trip to Chew Valley, not a site we would use for the reason that our dog sleeps in the car and we prefer to have car next to our van,also not far from home, I understand from other people who have stayed there that the site is a good one, and as you say it regularly features in the top sites, just down to personal choice,If you venture to Bradford on Avon worth a visit to the Lock Inn Cafe if you are hungry.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Relax Steve.
Nothing wrong with Bath Chew Valley.
Yes the access roads to the pitches are tight. Hence they do the pitching. Experts at it :)
I think pitches 1 -5 are totally private with high hedge screening and your own garden.Cars are allowed at the pitch for loading unloading then parked a few seconds walk at a separate car park by the superb toilet block.
We've been twice so it must be good :cheer: B)

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi, i dont see the problem with them siting your van, Ross park site and level your van for you. After a long drive very nice to have someone do it for you.

By the way Dusty did you manage to sell your Air awning, we put ours on Gumtree Friday evening sold it first thing Saturday morning. Gone back to poles.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Good morning Steve,
as you know we spend most of our time on CL's and CS's and that's what we like. There have been plenty of times we've had to park away from the van because of a wet field and understandably the owners don't want their field damaged any more than necessary. Also of course once the yellow flag goes up on a rally field that's it for cars in and out. All about damage limitation that I can fully understand.

These days with Jenny having to the set up pretty much single handed, I'm sure despite my tendency to be protective of the van, she would be glad to have some of the work done for her.

Okay so the site you are going to wouldn't be on our top 100 list BUT I've taken time to look at your link and it looks perfectly nice, what is nice is because the hardstanding can be narrower to not have the car there, there seems to be more green space in-between the pitches which has to be a bonus.

I'm sure the new car will be a good tug, never heard much in the way of moans and groans. Always a great idea not to go far first time out and see if you need any loading changes.

Bath is one of my few favourite towns, the site looks clean and tidy, the car will be stonking so I'd say you're all set for a good trip.

Hope you get the electrics sorted okay, enjoy!! :cheer:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the positive and encouraging replies, I wondered if I'd made a mistake and ought to have chosen Unity at Brean instead :dry:
We're looking forward to exploring Bath and we'll be there the day after the clocks go forward for lighter evenings.
I'll post a review of Chew Valley after we've tried it for ourselves :)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
thedoog1 said:
Hi, i dont see the problem with them siting your van, Ross park site and level your van for you. After a long drive very nice to have someone do it for you.

By the way Dusty did you manage to sell your Air awning, we put ours on Gumtree Friday evening sold it first thing Saturday morning. Gone back to poles.
Sorry to say Steve I haven't got round to advertising yet! Think I'll do like you and try gumtree.
Cheers DD

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
thedoog1 said:

Sorry to say Steve I haven't got round to advertising yet! Think I'll do like you and try gumtree.
Cheers DD

Preloved also been quick for us selling awnings.

Good to see everyone coming back to poles. Never ventured away ourselves.

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
It's that time of year again!

Unfortunately a house move means the van is no longer at home, but in storage close to where we mostly go, which will save towing it all the way from home each time I guess, and our first new addition, a baby boy, meant we missed pretty much all of last year :woohoo:

So first night away for a long time on Saturday!, in a role reversal from being a child and my Parents taking me away, I'm kidnapping my Dad for the day :p

Basically just going through to clean, make sure all is well, install a safety net for our baby so he can sleep safely, fit a new carbon monoxide alarm, and then go to Black Sheep Brewery for a beer and a pie :)

Hope your all planning for the new year or caravanning (I appreciate I'm a bit late!)

Anyone been away yet?

Stay safe B)

Liam

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Cento16v said:
It's that time of year again!

Unfortunately a house move means the van is no longer at home, but in storage close to where we mostly go, which will save towing it all the way from home each time I guess, and our first new addition, a baby boy, meant we missed pretty much all of last year :woohoo:

So first night away for a long time on Saturday!, in a role reversal from being a child and my Parents taking me away, I'm kidnapping my Dad for the day :p

Basically just going through to clean, make sure all is well, install a safety net for our baby so he can sleep safely, fit a new carbon monoxide alarm, and then go to Black Sheep Brewery for a beer and a pie :)

Hope your all planning for the new year or caravanning (I appreciate I'm a bit late!)

Anyone been away yet?

Stay safe B)

Liam

Congratulations on the wee one, start em young,go for it.
We havent been away yet but will be away for Easter for 4 nights so not long to wait :) B)

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
A belated update to my first outing of the year, some of you will know that I engaged full Woosie mode re no water coming out of my taps on my trip :blush:
Anyways, went to http://www.theranchscotland.co.uk/.

Weather was abysmal, but I enjoyed the getaway nonetheless, not much else one can do other than relax and enjoy the sound of wind and rain when adverse weather does not comply with one's expectations, I spent a lot of time practicing being a Woosie (the water and the taps) :oops:

The Ranch, well organised, some pitches are a bit remote from waste water discharge points and resulted in me carrying waste water down through stairs, a ramp along side the steps would have been nice.

Owners friendly and helpful, so no complaints in that department.

It was just out of season, so not at as ***** and span as I am guessing it might be at other times, toilets bins were very late in being emptied, saying that, there was not enough build up worthy of complaining about.

The owners were in the process of finishing off the installation of a new pool liner and other upgrades, great to see that they appeared to have a constant upgrade attitude in mind.

All in all, a nice (if not spectacular) location, I would say this is a dependable site with good proprietors who are conscience that the customer deserves their commitment.

Only downside, no pool or sauna etc (being upgraded), but I was not told this when I booked, and no offer of discount was forthcoming for out of season (pensioner discount that is apparently available) rates; or any offer of discount for the reduced availability of amenities.

I did not ask for discounts, perhaps one would have been forthcoming if I had asked, but I feel that I should not need to ask, the owners know what the situations is and I think it would have been proper for them to offer a discount without my asking.

All in all, a good site, maybe the owners were just to busy to remember that at full rate we were not getting all that was expected.

If you are planning to be in the area (or not), yes, try it out, you will not have a bad experience, I certainly did not.

All in all, a wee acknowledgement of reduced facilities with an according discount would have me give more praise for The Ranch, saying that, my first experience will not preclude a return visit.

Anseo.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
IMG_20170327_163903_zpssf6yxhzd.jpg

The new (to us) Kia Sorento tug worked well on our first trip this year to Chew Valley Caravan Park.
I'm very pleased with the car, it's booked in for a service next week where I'll get it checked to see if the recall work had been carried out before I bought the car.

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Parksy said:
IMG_20170327_163903_zpssf6yxhzd.jpg

The new (to us) Kia Sorento tug worked well on our first trip this year to Chew Valley Caravan Park.
I'm very pleased with the car, it's booked in for a service next week where I'll get it checked to see if the recall work had been carried out before I bought the car.

That looks a solid outfit, and shiny too :p :p

However, instead of putting up pics of shiny motors, there was, I recall, a promise of a review of your trip to Bath Chew Valley that would I assume include mention of the manhandling of your caravan, whilst the shiny motor was on display to all and sundry in the car park, which is probably the true reason for having such a shiny motor :p :p

So, how was it?? :p :p

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Very smart Parksy, I'm glad she towed well.

Looking forward to our next trip, local one at Easter as Mrs B working. Gives her a 5-10 minute commute instead of 35-45 mins. Works for us for four weeks of the summer holidays as well. The last trip in February seems a very long time ago.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Martin24 said:
Very smart Parksy, I'm glad she towed well.

Looking forward to our next trip, local one at Easter as Mrs B working. Gives her a 5-10 minute commute instead of 35-45 mins. Works for us for four weeks of the summer holidays as well. The last trip in February seems a very long time ago.

February............What FEBRUARY this year!"!!!!!!!!!!!

Now my last outing if I can remember that far back was somewhere up in Yorkshire,

ah thats it Pickering..................Now thats a LONG time ago!!!! :(
One of us has had to work a Saturday every week since and Ive done every one this year so far, so not even a weekend away :(

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
Using Securicor to get you to the bank Kev?

Dont get me started Pete, I was saving for my retirement, but management havent had a pay rise in over two years
but the lads have just had there third!!!! :( :( :( :(

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Anseo said:
WOW, that is shiny Parksy, well done.

Thanks Anseo, I've used some car detailing products to provide some depth of shine, plus the first of many wax coatings of Collinite liquid insulator wax to protect the nano tech hydrophobic undercoating and ultimately the paintwork.
Unfortunately as I've been pootling round the damp byways of rural Somerset I've besmirched the shine, car cleaning duties for me first thing tomorrow ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts