First outing this year

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
KeefySher said:
That looks a solid outfit, and shiny too :p :p

However, instead of putting up pics of shiny motors, there was, I recall, a promise of a review of your trip to Bath Chew Valley that would I assume include mention of the manhandling of your caravan, whilst the shiny motor was on display to all and sundry in the car park, which is probably the true reason for having such a shiny motor :p :p

So, how was it?? :p :p
Thanks Keefy, here are my impressions of the site:
After a relaxing tow with the Sorento down the M5 from the West Midlands, using the cruise control that my trusty old Pajero had lacked, we followed the directions provided by Chew Valley Caravan Park and turned into the lane leading to the site, where we parked in the arrival area as instructed on our booking confirmation.
After checking in with the friendly receptionist we unhitched the caravan from the car ready for the site employee to take our caravan to the designated pitch using a small tractor with a front mounted (and degreased) towball to move our caravan competently and without fuss.
This was accomplished in a very short space of time while we waited in the car for the employee to wave us up a short driveway to the caravan which had been parked squarely within our hard standing gravel pitch.
I simply levelled the caravan fore and aft to my satisfaction, lowered the steadies and connected the water, drainage and ehu on the fully serviced pitch, we were to all intents and purposes glamping with no aquaroll to fill or grey water to empty during our stay.
The site itself is beautifully landscaped, with neat gravel pathways bordered by lawns, shrubs, interesting small sculptures in stone, metal and wood with wild growing hedgerows and trees forming the boundaries which encourage a wide range of wildlife and wild birds which provide a dawn chorus.
Slightly less welcome is the early morning aircraft noise from Bristol airport, about seven miles away, but with the wind blowing in a certain direction a distant roar is sporadically heard during take offs from 6:30 am until around 11 pm.
Of course aircraft noise is no fault of the site which otherwise is calm and peaceful with just the birdsong and the soothing sound of the wind in the trees, a lovely place to relax and to use as a base to explore the lovely vibrant and historic cities of Bath and of Bristol, both within half an hours easy drive during off peak times.
Chew Valley Caravan Park is close to the lakes in the area, another reason why the site owners prefer cars to be parked on the car park a very short walk from the caravans, because the well tended grassy areas are soft and would deteriorate rapidly if cars were regularly driven over them.
Shoppers are allowed to drive along the well compacted gravel driveways to unload heavy items, and of course cars can be parked on the gravel aprons when unloading on arrival and loading prior to departure.
The site employee will pull the caravan round to the reception area when you are ready to leave, where there is plenty of room to back your car onto the hitch as he guides you, a job he's done countless times before.
No review of this site would be complete without mentioning the facilities, there are various recycling points for rubbish and there is no communal toilet block as such.
Instead each unisex toilet and shower are separate self contained units in the row (including an adapted toilet and shower for disabled users), lovely and warm with a ready supply of hot water, a hair dryer and all absolutely spotlessly clean and well maintained.
The CDP is part of this structure, it is one of the very few which is indoors, has adequate cassette washing and flushing equipment and a clean hand was basin with liquid soap and a hot air dryer to ensure that what can be a disagreeable task is as hygenic as possible.
There is also a laundry which I didn't visit, we were only there for four nights but I'm sure that it will be up to the same high standard set by other on-site areas.
There are no clubhouses, leisure complexes or childrens playgrounds on this adult only dog friendly site, just well maintained grounds, peace and quiet and first class toilet /shower facilities.
Internet facilities are available, these are administered by Club Wi-Fi, an outside agency familiar on many caravan sites.
The abscence of cars near to caravans was in many ways a bonus for us, no early departure engines ticking over for ages or late night door slamming, and the short walk to the car park was not an issue for us at all, the site is level and the gravel is reasonably well compacted for wheelchair users.
I'd have no hesitation in recommending Chew Valley Caravan Park, it's place in the Practical Caravan Top 100 sites is well warranted and we will definitely add it to our growing list of sites to re-visit.

17553742_10206647638909885_2969869689894219022_n_zpsxo2iwekm.jpg

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Bit of a fan of Collinite myself Parksy, but the elbow grease cannot be understated, the councils should make sure that the roads are maintained so as not to sully the lovely finish to your car.

Cracking job Parksy,

wanna do mine to help you hone your skills :p

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Anseo said:
Bit of a fan of Collinite myself Parksy, but the elbow grease cannot be understated, the councils should make sure that the roads are maintained so as not to sully the lovely finish to your car.

Cracking job Parksy,

wanna do mine to help you hone your skills :p

Thanks for your kind comments and for your kind offer of allowing me to hone my skills on your vehicle.
I do have my little runabout to practice my elbow grease technique on however....

WP_20160218_11_32_07_Pro%202_zpsghd2yjlb.jpg

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Told you it was a good site Steve :cheer:
That Sorrie paintwork is pristine. Looks like I shall have to get my elbow grease out again. Nice personalised number plate too :)
What tyres are you using?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
You were right about Chew Valley Sir DD, that one's on our favourites list now. :)
Thanks for the kind observations about the Sorento paintwork.
I've given the Sorrie paintwork a bit of attention since I bought the car, I lightly cut it with Meguiars polish, then applied a coat of Prima Amigo polymer glaze and protected it with Collinite Insulator Wax.
When time allows I hope to clay bar the paint surface to remove fine scratches caused by poor car cleaning technique before I bought the car, then I'll add more coats of glaze and more coats of wax.
I'll probably hang on to this Sorento for at least as long as I did the Pajero (which I've still got!) so for a modest sum I added the personalised registration to add a bit of road presence to the car / caravan combination.
The tyres are 245/70R16 Hankooks on the back, the front tyres are 'Sunny', most probably a budget brand because I've never heard of them, but there's plenty of miles left on them and they are unlikely to move the car at much over 60mph because it's only really used for towing duties.
The axle bracket and brake light switch re-calls have been done and the Sorento is booked in for it's 90,000 mile service on the 11th at the Kia main dealer down the road to keep it's full service history intact.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The Hankooks were OEM. Last a long time!
I'd never heard of Collinite but it seems to enhance the paint. Black is hard to keep clean!
Did you use stockinette or a power buffer?
Looks like you've set the Benchmark for the deepest shine.
Well done my boy :cheer:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
The Hankooks were OEM. Last a long time!
I'd never heard of Collinite but it seems to enhance the paint. Black is hard to keep clean!
Did you use stockinette or a power buffer?
Looks like you've set the Benchmark for the deepest shine.
Well done my boy :cheer:
Thanks Alan :cheer:
I've got a rotary machine polisher and a random orbital buffer, I used the machine polisher with a yellow mild cut pad and Meguiars to correct some of the paintwork to begin with after first washing using Banana Sudz hydrophobic car shampoo and drying with microfibre towels.
I applied the glaze and the Collinite wax top coat using sponge applicators and hand buffed using fine microfibre polishing cloths.
The Collinite has to stand in a bowl of warm water because it solidifies in the bottle, a good shake and a few small spots on the applicator are enough to do a panel because very thin even coatings work best.
It's still a work in progress though :)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I didn't use so many car detailing products because I didn't know about them at the time Sir WC, but the old 1997 Pajero is still nice and clean, it will be a bit cleaner by next weekend because I need to take pictures of it to sell it. :unsure:
I've owned the Trundle Truck for ten years, it's never missed a beat and it will be a wrench to see it go :(

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
So sorry we didn't get to come over for a visit to you folks. We intended to, but kids evening activities and 'man flu' caught us on the hop :( I hope you enjoyed our neck of the woods, and if you do come down again, we'll get over to see you. If it's any consolation, those bloody planes fly right over our house. Mat wants a ground to air missile launcher for Christmas...

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Claire, it made a nice change for us to stay inland rather than at a coastal resort, and we will definitely be back.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Yep It's finally Here :)
Van all loaded ready for the off tomorrow for 4 nights :woohoo:
Half a day at WORK then off we trots.
Happy Easter folks :kiss:

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
Hope you are enjoying your trip and the rain clouds keep away from Devon ;)

Yep cheers Gaffabill, no rain but you know it's cold in the van when your pillow is freezing cold when you turn over during the night, heating on the second night!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts