First time abroad

Sep 7, 2007
Visit site
I am travelling in my new fiat ducato sundance motor home to France, Spain and Portugal for a month on the 15th of Sept. This is my first time abroad in a motor home. Does anyone have an essential tick list for beginners like me. I am understandbly apprehensive and do not want to make any blunders!! I have sent for the caravan club 1st time abroad leaflet.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You've done the right thing to get the CC leaflet. If you get their Caravaning Europe site guides they have good check lists too.

Otherwise, scan the positngs on this forum e.g. First Time among the current threads and do an archive search.

I've never been in a motor van but i guess things are much the same.

Take it easy for at least the first day; get used to the traffic flows.

Use the autoroutes (may be tolls) to avoid big city and town centres particularly between 12.00 and 14.00.

Supermarkets have cheapest diesel but may have height barriers.

Be prepared to be "tailgated" - it's a national sport dating from the time of 2CVs and other vehicles with minimal overtaking capability.

Don't overnight in aires or other parking areas.

In Spain keep tank full from half way down - long distances between service areas on some autovias.

Plan you route, have a newish map available even if you have sat-nav.

Finally, and most important - enjoy ! Hopefully you will find better roads and less traffic, good sites, good food, good wine and excellent company among other voyagers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts