First time abroad

Mar 30, 2007
Visit site
Hya, we thinking of taking our caravan over to France some time in the summer, and as it will be our first time towing abroad, could anyone recommend any good campsites that are not too far inland to travel, and any tips on driving would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

DJM

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I always recommend the Dordogne area for beginners to France and driving over there is so much easier than here!
Julie said "not to far inland to travel". I think the Dordogne might be a tadge to far for their first trip to France don't you?

Mar 30, 2007
Visit site
Hya, swanseajack

We don,t want to travel too far into France, as it will be our first time, we will be taking our three year old nephew, so we would need somewhere suitable for children, preferably with a pool because he loves the water.

thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Julie - again it would depend on where you are sailing from in the UK. We have always gone on the Plymouth to Roskoff ferry and then on to Brittany - simply because we are doing more driving on this side of the channel than over in France. We have been a few times to Camping Du Letty in Benodet. There is no swimming pool there but it is right on the beach - they have a web page in English. We booked by internet and asked for a pitch next to the beach - open the blinds in the morning and the beach was approx. 10 feet away - brilliant. The ferry crossing is six hours and during the day time there is children's entertainment on board. If you have a night crossing go for a cabin and not the reclining chairs.

Benodet and the surrounding country/cities/towns are beautiful - approx 1.5 hours drive from Roskoff to Benodet. The cathedral in Quimper and the walled town of old Concarneau are well worth seeing.

If you have any problems with insurances etc. try Select Sites of Abergaveny (again ahve a web pag) - they are brilliant in sorting out all your paper work.

Wherever you should go - enjoy it as it is a completly different holiday to touring in the UK. Good luck in your quest.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Forgot to mention that the roads between Roskoff and Quimper are excellent - mainly dual carraigeway, however on this road the fuel stations are few and far between.

Mar 30, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Colin (Bridgend) for your reply, the camp you mentioned sounds lovelly, and with the beach being close by, its an added bonus, because our nephew loves the sand and sea, and with it not being too far on the other side, ile definately look it up on the web.

Thanks again Colin.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Julie if you were to ask the mods. to forward your e-mail address to me I will post some pictures we took of the site and the beach. Haven't got a clue how to put photos on this forum as I am not computer orientated. Colin

Oct 29, 2007
Visit site
I suggest Chataeux Gandspette near StOmer. Its about 45 mins from Calais and an easy drive.

It has all the fascilities you could ask for.

I also strongly recommend that you look at Camping Cheque. You will find lots of really good sites.

Good luck

Regards

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts