First time Buyers

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
After a few years of indecision, we are looking to buy our first motorhome. We are looking for a two berth, second-hand, preferably diesel and a maximum budget of around £15,000 (absolute max) I am interested in a van conversion with a high-roof. It doesn't need to have all the bells and whistles, but reliability and longevity are a must.
We have had a number of VW cars and have always found them reliable so I am drawn to VWs but will consider other makes. I have seen a few Fords but have been put off by stories of rust, one I saw in a dealers had holes as big as your hand and they still wanted £12,000 for it. Also, the Peugeot/Citroen/Fiat chassis looks appealing.
Finally, how do I know what I buy will work, be watertight etc. An MOT will cover the mechanicals but I don't want to buy something and find in 3 months that it needs another £5,000 spent on it.
Thanks

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi Tugger
Additional to the "Mechanical Service" a Motorhome is like a Caravan & should have a Habitation Service periodically (annually if under warranty) & the service sheet(s) kept with the Motorhome documentation. The older the Motorhome the less likelyhood of a full set. Theis service should include a Damp Check.
Any Dealer SHOULD carry-out this work just to ensure everything is working but may not complete a formal record, so insist on the record of work before agreeing any purchase. Then get the longest "Warranty" you can, this should minimise your exposure to anything failing in the short term.
Hope this helps, but if you have any other questions., post them & I'll try to answer.

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Wot we did was keep go round the delers looking at all the set up like back lounge three way frige oven and sit in it for a bit to make sure its comfortable for you

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Greetings, Tugger and welcome to the wonderful world of motorhoming!
We have owned a wonderful panel van conversion for the past 3 years and are just about to trade it in. It would seem to 'tick all of your boxes' -- however I'm not trying to sell you it, as there will be plenty more similar around -- both Motorhome Trader' (online) and E-bay currently have models similar to mine -- for probably less money than my dealer will put it on his forecourt for.
The 'van is a 2002 Autosleeper 'Symbol' on a peugeot chassis -- 1.9.T.D. engine.It has about 47,000 on the clock and has been spectacularly reliable (10,000+ miles in under 3 years) - no serious problems -- there was a year's warranty and the cambelt had been replaced.It is a 'high top' 2-berth with most of the 'bells & whistles' than any one might require.
This is what it looks like:- http://www.westcountrymotorhomes.co.uk/21/used-vehicles/prod/1117/2002-peugeot-auto-sleepers-symbol
The price of that one is ridiculously high -- mine will go on the forecourt at Webbs motorcaravans (Warminster, Wilts) for £15,995, I think -- but when it was on their forecourt in 2010 at £19,995 we haggled the price down to £19,250, as we had no 'trade-in' and it was a cash sale -- you could surely do similar. Why have we traded it in? We want a fixed bed, that's why! I have had a nasty arthritic condition this year and the 'new 'van (an Adria 'Twin') is just that bit more comfortable for me in a few respects -- but we have really loved our Symbol, it ts a smashing first 'van and if you get one which is as good as ours has been, then they can be recommended unreservedly. Sorry this has 'gone on', a bit, hope it helps,

Best wishes and good luck in your search,

Gandalf.

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I think that why not get a trial from anyone who owns it before buying one for ourself? It would be best if you try it before buying one.
(Commercial link removed - TJ)

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Tugger47 said:
After a few years of indecision, we are looking to buy our first motorhome. We are looking for a two berth, second-hand, preferably diesel and a maximum budget of around £15,000 (absolute max) I am interested in a van conversion with a high-roof. It doesn't need to have all the bells and whistles, but reliability and longevity are a must.
We have had a number of VW cars and have always found them reliable so I am drawn to VWs but will consider other makes. I have seen a few Fords but have been put off by stories of rust, one I saw in a dealers had holes as big as your hand and they still wanted £12,000 for it. Also, the Peugeot/Citroen/Fiat chassis looks appealing.
Finally, how do I know what I buy will work, be watertight etc. An MOT will cover the mechanicals but I don't want to buy something and find in 3 months that it needs another £5,000 spent on it.
Thanks
You are first time buyers.
Buying an RV is a major investment. You need some research before you buy. Your
maximum budget of around £15,000, so I think you have got reliability and
longevity as you need. But I would like to suggest taking a help from an
RV dealer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts