First time Caravan owners and a big help from this Forum

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi all,

I‘d like to say a massive thank you to everyone that helped a complete novice become a ‘better educated‘ van driver :)

The knowledge and help on here is remarkable, and helped us so much.

Our first night went fantastic, picked up the van and drove (what a new experience) to a local near by site, parked up and managed to settle in for the night.

It was so much better than having to set up a Tent, and so glad we are now caravan owners

Just out of curiosity, I have a few questions below

1. As we just purchased our 2023 brand new caravan, should the dealership not have serviced the caravan regardless of the previous date, I can’t find any paperwork?
2. When you level the caravan, then move the alloy to fit the ALKO wheel lock, doesn't moving the caravan either fwd/back then lose the level?
3. When travelling, when would you know when not to drive when the wind is picking up, is there limits?
4. Is there meant to be a light rocking back and forth now and again when driving, is this normal?
5. Lastly, is there a setting on the Truma digital screen to lower the water temp if we feel it’s too hot?
6. Is it normal for jockey wheels to take a lot of stress. it feels like it will just snap off when moving about with the motor movers
Thanks
Lee

IMG_1690.jpeg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,

1. As we just purchased our 2023 brand new caravan, should the dealership not have serviced the caravan regardless of the previous date, I can’t find any paperwork?
A brand new caravan should only need the dealer to conduct the Pre delivery Inspection. It should not need a service. The service schedule in the warranty scheme is only applied from the date of purchase, not the date of manufacture.
2. When you level the caravan, then move the alloy to fit the ALKO wheel lock, doesn't moving the caravan either fwd/back then lose the level?

In simple terms yes moving the caravan might affect the leveled settings. You may need to readjust the steadies to bring things back to level after fitting the wheel locks. Its something that you will get more used to with experience and may be able to avoid having to shuffle the caravan very much to get the locks to engage.
3. When travelling, when would you know when not to drive when the wind is picking up, is there limits?
Some times the Highways agency put out warnings for high sided vehicles in poor conditions, Its probably sensible to follow that advice, but at other times it's down to your own judgement, and again its something that you can better judge as you gain experience. I'd suggest if conditions are bad enough to to cause you to doubt the sanity of travelling, dont travel!
4. Is there meant to be a light rocking back and forth now and again when driving, is this normal?
I note from your picture you have a twin axle (TA) caravan. Depending on how the caravan rides when hitched, the dynamics of the caravan when in motion can cause the effective centre of gravity to move a little. This can make a TA produce a rocking sensation. Generally the advice would be to check the nose load the caravan is imparting to the tow ball, and if there is any scope within the vehicles specifications increase it a bit.
5. Lastly, is there a setting on the Truma digital screen to lower the water temp if we feel it’s too hot?

You should have a full set of operating instructions for all the appliances and OEM systems in the caravan. If not contact your dealer so they can supply them. They should also be able to advise if your system has a variable water temperature control. Please note that in many cases a variable temperature control may exist for heating the water by gas, but when using mains power the control is a fixed temperature. It depends on the model of heater installed.

6. Is it normal for jockey wheels to take a lot of stress. it feels like it will just snap off when moving about with the motor movers.

For a variety of reasons, and not least that the majority of TA caravans tend to be on the heavy side, the jockey wheels (JW) do often encounter high stresses. Often it relates to the softness of the ground or gravel where JW's can be come partly bogged down and start to almost submarine. Sometimes its worth swapping the JW for a fatter wheel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saxo Appeal

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Glad you had a good trip. I can only answer your Truma hot water question. When you are on the water heater settings ( scroll to the hot water icon and click) you should find 3 levels “Eco” “Hot” and “Boost”. I find Eco hot enough for hand washing but not for doing the pots. “”Hot” is very hot but I use his for pot washing. Boost diverts power to the water heater and will turn off your blown air heating. It switches itself back to your previous setting once the water has heated up. Handy if wanting to get it hot quicker.
There are some good videos on You Tube.
Mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I used to wind the JW in to shorten its height when moving the caravan as it puts less stress on it especially on gravel or soft pitches. Then when it’s in position on the pitch I would adjust the jw tolevel the caravan.

Glad everything went well.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
To get around the issue of fitting the ALKO locks there is a simple solution. Invest in a Lock n Level system of the caravan. See https://www.locknlevel.co.uk/twin-axle

With that tow car you should not feel any rocking, but make sure that the nose weight on the hitch is at the maximum of 100kg for safe and probably better tow. However it could be the cars suspension creating the feeling of rocking while travelling. Is it normal suspension or air suspension?

The ALKO jockey wheel looks flimsy in comparison to the Kartt JW. Our twin which is 2000kg does cause the ALKO jockey wheel to look like it is bending when using the mover. We have replaced it with the Kartt JW which is a lot sturdier.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
To get around the issue of fitting the ALKO locks there is a simple solution. Invest in a Lock n Level system of the caravan. See https://www.locknlevel.co.uk/twin-axle

With that tow car you should not feel any rocking, but make sure that the nose weight on the hitch is at the maximum of 100kg for safe and probably better tow. However it could be the cars suspension creating the feeling of rocking while travelling. Is it normal suspension or air suspension?

The ALKO jockey wheel looks flimsy in comparison to the Kartt JW. Our twin which is 2000kg does cause the ALKO jockey wheel to look like it is bending when using the mover. We have replaced it with the Kartt JW which is a lot sturdier.

The Audi has normal suspension, ill check the nose weight again this weekend.

I think by the looks of it the next upgrade will be the Kartt JW, does anyone know what size is best to go with? There is a quite a few to choose from.

Thanks again to everyone here :)

IMG_0781.png

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We bought the 48mm heavy duty ribbed jockey wheel. It does increase your nose weight by about 3kgs so no big deal. We bought direct from Kartt. I think the code was KJW4809W.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Saxo asked

6. Is it normal for jockey wheels to take a lot of stress. it feels like it will just snap off when moving about with the motor movers

A lot of your questions have been answered very well by other Forumites.

My take.
1.There should be a multi point Pre Delivery Inspection form detailing all items looked at by your Dealer . It should be dated sometime between date of delivery to the Dealer and the date you accepted the takeover and ownership.

2. You have a TA. You should have been supplied with two Al-ko wheel locks. Most Insurers make it a policy condition both locks are used when the caravan is unattended. This includes Storage , on site , and even at Service station if you go in for a break. Check the wording. If you breach it you may not be reimbursed if the caravan is stolen.

3. Study the Met Reports. Not science but an older tugger decades ago told me if a plane is banned from landing due to high winds don’t tow. Of course we have come a long way since then. The real problem with winds is the sudden gusts that can really knock you about. Not common. Just check the forecast and use sensible judgement.

4. Rocking as described sounds a horizontal movement rather than vertical ??
If the former there is a possibility your ATS has momentarily kicked in. It’s barely perceptible but will give the sensation possibly described. Double check you are correctly loaded including nose load.

5. Passs. Don’t have that system. Handbook? Dealer?

6. They are designed to be flexible but are extremely strong. If you are really concerned, especially on grass deep,gravel, you could move all the heavy weights to the rear thus lightening the nose load. Or follow the Buckman route.

The more you use the more confident and relaxing it becomes. Enjoy.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Thanks again,

Yes it was brilliant to finally setup after a long treck back to the house to pick up the towbar key.

We picked the caravan up from a dealership 82 miles away (over the forth bridge) and found out on arrival we didn't have the towbar key. We decied to go through the demo, then jump back into the car, drive all the way to our home time and back to the dealer again.

By the time we arrived at the picth location the sun was going down, so didn't really have much time to have a wander around for our one night stay. Site was quiet and really nice.

But... I must say what a difference from camping, just being able to sit in the warmth and enjoy a brew (or beer), then head through to a comfy bed at night was just fantastic.

We pick the caravan up again this coming Sat and away till Monday and looking so forward to it.

Oh forgot one thing, from all the wealth of experience on here (and YT), when we pitched up a friendly neighbour came out and was shocked when we said it's our first time. He thought we were experienced with the way we parked up, and had everything set up with aquaroll, steadies everything :LOL:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You asked a question about towing in windy conditions. That’s a real quandary as each outfit will perform differently and of course wind speed is rarely consistent. I used to look at the bbc weather app where the wind speed and wind direction are shown by the hour. You may notice that at one time it could be 16 mph from the west and shown in white. The next hour shows 42 mph in black. That is the expected gusting speed, whereas the white one at 16 mph is steady speed. But even steady wind speeds will have gusts. A rule of thumb I was given was that gusts can be twice the steady speed.

Other aspects to give guidance will be trees, wind socks, flags, other towing vehicles, HGV stability wind direction ( on the nose or sideways ) etc. Any doubts just slow down or even pull over. As you go on more trips you will develop a feel for your outfit’s performance. I would delay departures or advance departures if I had concerns.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The worst aspect of ravelling in high winds is when you go under a bridge where it is relatively calm. When you come out the other side, the gust of wind can catch you causing the outfit to swerve so be wary. Many years ago we saw a VW Beetle get flipped by the wind as it emerged the other side of the bridge. The wind literally lifted up the one side and over it went and it was nit travelling fast.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The wind direction, compared to your direction of travel, can make a big difference - side winds can be the most dangerous and can induce a "snake", eg when coming out of a sheltered cutting onto an embankment or bridge - strong head winds "just" hit your fuel consumption while tail winds will do the opposite.

If there are traffic warnings for "high-sided vehicles" I would heed them and seek an alternative route.

If you get caught in high winds, despite taking precautions, then slow down to reduce their effect.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I was travelling from Mablethorpe to Barnard Castle, the winds were very strong but mostly from behind as we went up the A1. My route was to take me about 10 to 15 miles along the A66, NOT a problem thought I. The gusts were horrendous I was down to about 10 mph, with nowhere to pull over, the van was being blown really hard sideways. Thankfully we got off the main road and safely the BC. Two days later we had gentle winds on our way to Northumberland.
Be really cautious and look very closely at weather and wind reports.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Saxo asked

A lot of your questions have been answered very well by other Forumites.

My take.
1.There should be a multi point Pre Delivery Inspection form detailing all items looked at by your Dealer . It should be dated sometime between date of delivery to the Dealer and the date you accepted the takeover and ownership.

2. You have a TA. You should have been supplied with two Al-ko wheel locks. Most Insurers make it a policy condition both locks are used when the caravan is unattended. This includes Storage , on site , and even at Service station if you go in for a break. Check the wording. If you breach it you may not be reimbursed if the caravan is stolen.

3. Study the Met Reports. Not science but an older tugger decades ago told me if a plane is banned from landing due to high winds don’t tow. Of course we have come a long way since then. The real problem with winds is the sudden gusts that can really knock you about. Not common. Just check the forecast and use sensible judgement.

4. Rocking as described sounds a horizontal movement rather than vertical ??
If the former there is a possibility your ATS has momentarily kicked in. It’s barely perceptible but will give the sensation possibly described. Double check you are correctly loaded including nose load.

5. Passs. Don’t have that system. Handbook? Dealer?

6. They are designed to be flexible but are extremely strong. If you are really concerned, especially on grass deep,gravel, you could move all the heavy weights to the rear thus lightening the nose load. Or follow the Buckman route.

The more you use the more confident and relaxing it becomes. Enjoy.

Tomorrow we are handing the caravan back to the dealer, should we ask for the Pre Delivery Inspection form? As looking through the paper work I can’t see anything. Is this something they keep on their computer and can printout?

I also checked the nose weight before travelling to our second site, and it was at 110kg, so removed some and brought it down to 100kg. However we still noticed the rocking motion, and it seemed to be slightly worse, maybe this is just normal and as mentioned the ATC

We also asked why the weight plate upgraded hadn’t been completed, the dealer told me the label posted out to our address and we stick the it over the original….is this normal and correct?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Tomorrow we are handing the caravan back to the dealer, should we ask for the Pre Delivery Inspection form? As looking through the paper work I can’t see anything. Is this something they keep on their computer and can printout?

I also checked the nose weight before travelling to our second site, and it was at 110kg, so removed some and brought it down to 100kg. However we still noticed the rocking motion, and it seemed to be slightly worse, maybe this is just normal and as mentioned the ATC

We also asked why the weight plate upgraded hadn’t been completed, the dealer told me the label posted out to our address and we stick the it over the original….is this normal and correct?
If it’s the same as the weight label ( but with upgrade details) as the one by the door, then it does supersede the original one.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Clive, but is that correct the dealer sends it to your home address?

Wasn‘t sure why they can’t do it at the dealership
When you get the upgrade plate, rather than stick it to the caravan over the old one, keep it in a safe place inside the van. As it will probably fade in the daylight if it is just a stick on one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts