First time out after Winter.... HELP!!!!

Mar 27, 2006
Visit site
Hi

We're new to caravanning and thought that we had laid the van up correctly over winter.... however!!!!... we went out this weekend and what a nightmare we had. Relaxing it certainly wasn't!

We had pipes jumping off the taps... which we sorted out without too much problem.

We had been advised to change to propane which we did.... but the gas heater kept cutting out - eventually there was a big bang behind the heater and we didn't dare light it again.

Then there was a huge bang under the bunk where my daughter was sleeping - deeply!! - she slept through the bang, us putting the lights on, and moving her up the bunk to look underneath...

Our Carver 2 heater appeared to have exploded - there was polystyrene looking bits/limescale all over the locker, along with LOTS of water - the bottom of the van was pouring water.

By this time with nerves totally frayed, feeling cold and in need of a drink we tucked down into bed and made a run for home the next morning feeling very sorry for ourselves.

Can anyone please help with suggestions/ideas as to what we did wrong? what might be the problem? and how much it's all likely to get fixed?

The van is due for a service in a few weeks but at the moment we've lost our faith in it totally. I spent the whole night jumping everytime there was a bump or creak wondering what the next thing would be to explode, bump, or bang.

Help!

Thx

:)

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Have little idea about the heater problem, but can I suggest that you post make and model of heater and then somebody may be able to help.

It may not help, but have never experienced any thing like you describe in many years of caravanning. I would have to ask if the system was drained fully with the problems you describe and then filled with water correctly before the heater was turned on. Pipe and Carver problems sound to me like a problem that MAY have been caused by ice and freezing water.

Mar 27, 2006
Visit site
Hi

Good point Cris!

The water heater is a Carver 2 it's located in our Elddis Typhoon GT 1993.

We followed the instruction booklet for emptying the heater.. but it didn't really say anything about refilling it now you mention it, so we just hooked up the water and turned the taps on - water came through (once we reattached the pipes) so we thought we were in business....

now you've said that I'm wondering if we've cooked the element or something... like if you don't fill a kettle?! ....how should we refill the water tank?!!!!

Hopeless! :(

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Amanda

Sounds to me that the water heater was switched on without it being primed properly. You have to set it all up and run water through the hot tap until no air - just water comes out. I am always over cautious and run a lot of water through.

I also rum a sterilising mixture thro' first as well, not that I drink from the caravan taps (bottled water or wine/beer!) but we do prepare food etc.

If the water heater element is on without water in the tank, it heats up the air until the element goes phut. Bit like switching on an electric kettle without any water in it.

Which pipes were jumping of which taps?? - could be the problem be linked?

Also did you drain the system down over the winter? If not the frost could have cracked pipes or even the heater itself.

Not sure why your heater went bang as well? Tho' changing gas does I think require a different regulator, BUT I AM NOT SURE! Never having done it. But I am sure someone will confirm.

Do Not Give UP!

May be an idea to get the guy who services your van to "walk you through it" - be prepared for a couple of hundred

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
You had posted "carver 2" and I guess that others would need the model of the heater to help.

Ice is a big enemy of the systems and if the systems had not drained fully that may be the cause of water problems.

Feb 6, 2006
Visit site
hi amanda,did you take your winter cover off the gas heater vent outside? I did exactly the same as you but i got away with the cover flying about 5 yards across the site after a bang.I had spent about 10 minutes trying to ignite gas water heater without realising i had left the cover on. (stupid boy)

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Last winter on a rally we heard a loud bang and went out to find our neighbour searching for his cover. It was 3 pitches away in the bushes.

Some power them things have!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sounds like ice damage to me. It would explain the pipes coming adrift, and it could have damaged the heater at the same time. The cascade is usually a reliable peace of equipment, running it without water should do no more than trip the thermal fuse, it shouldn't explode. If however water has got into it and frozen any sort of damage could occur. They can be difficult to drain and take some time doing so, perhaps this is the culprit. Your gas heater going bang is probably a build up of gas; we have experienced this, ourselves when it was once difficult to light. As it turned out there was no damage to the heater, but it meant it was time to get it checked out properly. These things are not serviced at your annual service, they are visually checked but that's all, so it might be a good idea to get the job done professionally.

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
I have had a carver go Bang on me, on my previous Van ( a Coachman) first time we used it the thermastat did not work and it bloo the drain plug and went dry. the result was a new thermastat.

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Amanda

Sounds to me that the water heater was switched on without it being primed properly. You have to set it all up and run water through the hot tap until no air - just water comes out. I am always over cautious and run a lot of water through.

I also rum a sterilising mixture thro' first as well, not that I drink from the caravan taps (bottled water or wine/beer!) but we do prepare food etc.

If the water heater element is on without water in the tank, it heats up the air until the element goes phut. Bit like switching on an electric kettle without any water in it.

Which pipes were jumping of which taps?? - could be the problem be linked?

Also did you drain the system down over the winter? If not the frost could have cracked pipes or even the heater itself.

Not sure why your heater went bang as well? Tho' changing gas does I think require a different regulator, BUT I AM NOT SURE! Never having done it. But I am sure someone will confirm.

Do Not Give UP!

May be an idea to get the guy who services your van to "walk you through it" - be prepared for a couple of hundred

Mar 27, 2006
Visit site
Many thanks to everyone for their helpful comments & feedback. I've got a man coming out to have a look at it for me - but at least I have a few thoughts as what may have caused it. Unfortunately our warranty ran out last year just before winter :(

Really appreciate the help and guidance though.

A

:)

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
We are doing our first trip at Easter but I have just been scared off but Amanda's post. I was already worrying about what MIGHT go wrong and have been driving my husband mad. Our van is in storage and we drained everything. Amanda said something about just turing the taps on before filling it. Could someine explain. I think we have a truma water heater in our van Denise

Mar 9, 2006
Visit site
Denise,

Once you get on site and start filling the system with water, just make sure you keep the hot & cold taps open long enough to ensure that there is no air left in the system-usually only takes a couple of mins. once the carver is full.

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Denise, when you open your taps for the first time on site, turn the hot tap on first, when the water stops coughing and spluttering, your hot water tank is full, it will then continue to fill up as you use your hot water!

Don't worry, its not rocket science, just enjoy your time away in the caravan.

Best wishes, Andrew.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts