first time to france

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
we plan to travel to Cap d'agde around early/mid august next year.when is the best time to travel ? are the roads quieter mid week rather than weekends ? is it also true that there are no lorries allowed to travel on sundays ? any advice or tips from anyone who has done this trip will be gratefully received

G

Darrell,

Please be aware that the dates you have indicated are the peak season for both the French and the Dutch/Belgians. Cap d'Agde is very popular and so do not expect anything but heavy traffic virtually every day in that area. This year we thought we would 'beat' it by staying around Pezenas and travelling to the beach. It took on average 1 - 1 1/2 hours each time to get to the Agde-Sete beach road and parking along that road was pretty difficult anytime after 10 am in the morning. If you want that area at that time then it may be better to bite the bullet and book one of the beachside sites and sing along with the crowds and discos. However, after the 3rd week in August the place 'dies' as everyone is heading for home. The Police also advise against using the roads (including the main A9 motorway) on the 1st weekend in August as the French are heading en masse to the beach.

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
thanks scotch lad, we intend pre-booking a site recommended to us by some friends who have been going there for the last 20 years ( right on the beach ). however what i need to know is it better to travel mid week rather than weekends. we plan to leave here either august 8 or 15. once we get there we hope to stay for 3 weeks( and dont intend travelling about much )

G

Darrel,

If you are travelling around the 8th, or possibly the 15th, the roads should be pretty quiet. Especially as it will take you a couple of days at least to get south. Yes, they are even better on a Sunday because many of the heavy trucks are off the road (Oh, to have the same here).

Curious to know the site you are looking at, only asking in case you have found something better than we did. We stayed latterly at a Yelloh site beside Agde. Very good and big (400 places) and of course entertainment EVERY night. I did enjoy the ABBA lookalikes, but the kareoke left both of us cringing and running for cover.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you can travel midweek, then do so. We go away for 4 weeks in the summer, 1 week at each site. We generally move on Wednesdays, and rarely have traffic problems. Trouble with the weekends is that you get a combination of (a) people with caravans etc who HAVE to travel because they can only take holidays Monday-Friday, (b) people who are in Saturday-Saturday accommodation and (c) "local" weekend visitors.

When we've been to Cornwall it was always so sad to hear the travel news on Saturday mornings, 5 mile queue on the A30 at Indian Queens, totally jammed from Exeter services to Bodmin Moor etc.

But if you have to travel at the weekend, then Sundays are definitely better.

G

Hi Scotch Lad

Was your site called Le Club Farret at Vias by any chance.

Cheers.....Keith
It was. It was a last minute thing as we had been staying at Ma Prairie in Canet. However as we had 2 weeks before hitting the Channel decided to pop along the coast for a while. As I said it was a good site but I admit not entirely my scene. Theer is also a disco in the main street which goes on to 5 am every night. If I ever went back I would get a pitch on the 2nd part of the site which is much further away from all the 'attractions'.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts