first time to france

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
hi we are planning our first trip to france this year and have no idea where to go at what time and how different it is to uk caravaning.any help advice or tips will be greatly appreciated and read thanks lee

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
lee, Herself and I took the plunge last year after forty years of caravanning in UK and Ireland. We took our outfit to France for the first time. We had been before by solo car, so were not complete novices at the "wrong side of the road" thing, but nevertheless, we were a little nervous. When we stopped for a coffee break about 70k from the ferry, we wondered what all the fuss had been about! We did a further 3800 miles in six weeks and never had any bother at all. Towing is probably easier there than here, because there is much less traffic and roads are straighter.

As far as sites are concerned, we booked our first night, then took pot luck with the rest. Again, no problems. All sites were at worst, adequate, and at best, wonderful.

We went from mid-August to the end of September, and sailed Norfolk Line Dover-Dunkirk. Clean, comfortable and relatively cheap. The only tip I would give you, is just to go and do it! you'll love it.

Jul 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

we took the plunge for the first time last summer. I chose a longer crossing (poole-Cherbourg) to have a shorter drive through France. Shouldn't have bothered driving in France is easier than driving in the UK.

We stayed at a Castell Camping site near Granville booked through the Caravan club. The facilities were excellent and my 8 and 10 year old were in their element. A 16 year old may be harder to please but some of the larger sites may be more accomodating to a 16 year old's needs.

My wife wasn't to keen on the longer crossing so next time it's Dover Calais and a campsite in the Vendee.

Do have a look at the Caravan Club brochure and do book you won't regret it.

Regards

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
stephen, if you haven't already booked your site in the Vendee, Google "le chant d' oiseau" It's on the NW edge of Vendee, near Saumur, and is ideal for first time in France

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Where to go depends on what you like. I think I'd start by looking at the Eurocamp/Canvas Holidays/Keycamp brochures. This gives you a feeling for the types of site which might suit your children - with often a children's club, etc. However, if you like very quiet sites, like CLs in England, then Camping a la Ferme, or Aire Naturelle, may suite better. When you've picked out the sites which appeal to you have a look on their websites for prices, etc., or if you're organising your trip through the Caravan Club or Caravan and Camping Clubs, then phone them and ask for advice/suggestions/brochures about timing, ferries, etc. I suppose you're limited to school holidays, so a word of advice is that sites are much less crowded at the end of the British school holiday (last two weeks in August) than at the beginning in mid/late July. There are still plenty of people around, but traffic on the roads in less, too. All the bigger sites will still have their full programme of activities on offer, so your kids shouldn't lose out. Ferry crossing is also important - when you've chosen a site, work out which ferry crossing suits you best. Dover/Calais or Dover/Dunkerque with Norfolk Lines are often the cheapest - the longer western channel crossings are much more expensive. If you're doing it for the first time there's a good article on another website (UK campsite) for novices which would be worth reading. Eurocamp Independent or Select Sites can book you a 'package' including ferry, site, and route maps, of Eurocamp offer a 'courier' service on site which can help if you have any problems.

There are some nice sites in northern France, but you don't get the weather - although it will give you a taster of the french experience. Some of the Normandy sites are great for first-timers, and there's loads of lovely beaches in the area.

Don't worry - we all did it for the first time once, and some of us (Us!!) have carried on for the last 26 years or so!!!

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Where to go depends on what you like. I think I'd start by looking at the Eurocamp/Canvas Holidays/Keycamp brochures. This gives you a feeling for the types of site which might suit your children - with often a children's club, etc. However, if you like very quiet sites, like CLs in England, then Camping a la Ferme, or Aire Naturelle, may suite better. When you've picked out the sites which appeal to you have a look on their websites for prices, etc., or if you're organising your trip through the Caravan Club or Caravan and Camping Clubs, then phone them and ask for advice/suggestions/brochures about timing, ferries, etc. I suppose you're limited to school holidays, so a word of advice is that sites are much less crowded at the end of the British school holiday (last two weeks in August) than at the beginning in mid/late July. There are still plenty of people around, but traffic on the roads in less, too. All the bigger sites will still have their full programme of activities on offer, so your kids shouldn't lose out. Ferry crossing is also important - when you've chosen a site, work out which ferry crossing suits you best. Dover/Calais or Dover/Dunkerque with Norfolk Lines are often the cheapest - the longer western channel crossings are much more expensive. If you're doing it for the first time there's a good article on another website (UK campsite) for novices which would be worth reading. Eurocamp Independent or Select Sites can book you a 'package' including ferry, site, and route maps, of Eurocamp offer a 'courier' service on site which can help if you have any problems.

There are some nice sites in northern France, but you don't get the weather - although it will give you a taster of the french experience. Some of the Normandy sites are great for first-timers, and there's loads of lovely beaches in the area.

Don't worry - we all did it for the first time once, and some of us (Us!!) have carried on for the last 26 years or so!!!
thanks thats plenty info to get us started

TRENDING THREADS