First time touring in France

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
I see that you tow with a Ford Kuga. If it's one with adaptive LED headlamps it must not be fitted with beam deflectors. That would be absolutely contra productive. I don't know about Ford, but some manufacturers have systems that identify if the vehicle is being driven on the right or on the left hand side of the road and switch over automatically. It would therefore be wise to always ask the manufacturer if or what has to be done to prevent dazzle when driving on the other side.

It has neither LED headlights nor headlights that can be switched over. The last car I had that could be was a 1980's Mini.

This is why I use the deflectors (which of course do not actually deflect)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As I said in my reply to Lutz my comments related to Roger Ls post which mentions what used to be done to glass lenses. Post #39 refers.
I think that was one of the reasons why I did not want to fit the deflectors again as had a hell of a job removing them off the Jeep headlights after our trip in 2015.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
I think that was one of the reasons why I did not want to fit the deflectors again as had a hell of a job removing them off the Jeep headlights after our trip in 2015.

Best way is to switch the lights on to warm them up (or if poss and it's timely) remove on a warm day, then peel them off. If there is any residual then use neat screen wash and a none abrasive cloth to remove.

Never had a problem, apart from the one time I wasn't careful about the choice of cloth and managed to scratch the plastic lenses on our MX-5 that we had at the time.

Then had to spend ages buffing out the scratches with brasso of all things. :rolleyes:

Lesson learned.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I thought that I had read that the EU was carrying out a review of headlight glare, but it was another grouping comprising several European motoring organisations that have recently issued a report. Its fundamental conclusions are that something needs to be done. In parallel HMG announced in April 2024 that there was to be a review of headlight glare. But where that goes after 4 July is anybodies guess.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I thought that I had read that the EU was carrying out a review of headlight glare, but it was another grouping comprising several European motoring organisations that have recently issued a report. Its fundamental conclusions are that something needs to be done. In parallel HMG announced in April 2024 that there was to be a review of headlight glare. But where that goes after 4 July is anybodies guess.

Not sure how they can resolve the issue retrospectively as it will probably cost the government or manufacturer a small fortune? I can understand going forward.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
Back to the OP original enquries, we stayed in Baden last year on the Yelloh site and drove down from StMalo. didn't use toll roads and it is dual carriaageway most of the way,Most shops still close or open limted hours on Sundays,and most towns offer free or minimal charge parking, we have been stopped on way out and way back just seems luck of the draw, usually involves opening caravan door letting the officer in the van to check and then you are free to go. Never been checked for foodstuffs, not saying we took bacon and sausages,but we managed a full English a couple of times, French sites seem very relaxed about groundsheets and arrival times ,we are just back and on arrival our pitch was free so we were allowed onto it.In August we have found the sites can be very busy, it is the most popular holiday month in France so you may find your site busy, and plenty of children wandering around. Make sure you get your passports stamped on arrival in France if for any reason they are not stamped it can cause problems with the Customs officers at the port when you are returning, as in 1.5 hours stuck in the holding area while they investigate why you didn't point out to the officer on arrival that he should have stamped your passport! We find English is commonly spoken and the younger French seem to be happy to practice their language skills, still seems polite to attempt French in first instance though. Cash seem sto be acceptd in most places , the only time we saw card only was using filling station at the supermarket, arrived back today after 16 nights and did see more roadworks this time than in all our previous trips put together, although most of the resurfacing was taking place at night, and didn't encounter a single pothole, Hope you enjoy your trip, let us know how you get on.
This is great thank you.

How did you find the site as its the same site we have booked for August.

I will keep a note of the passports being stamped, on the past trips they always have but I dont want it to be this time its missed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Martin 81mk
We found the site very good, like a lot of French sites it is split into small areas with hedges in between we had a pitch in an area of 4, all had the individual sheds attached with private washroom, fridge, wash up sink etc. Also had our own tap and drain, hook up was same as England On arrival we had to wait for our pitch and there is a dedicated waiting area opposite the entrance. The site operated a bracelet system when we were there, and you load money onto your bracelet, and pay using the bracelet in the bars, restaurant shop etc The pool complex is excellent, we were there last week in August first week September 23, and the pools were busy the first week, much quieter the second week. the site is in a quite built up residential area, and the only downside for us was that you need to drive to get to shops , beach etc, but is easy to stay on site, there is plenty for youngsters to do, horse riding, kids club etc. If you want to leave the site the town of Auray is worth a visit, they have a llarge open air street market on Mondays in the centre, and the pretty port area down the hill , of St Goustan is worth a visit it has pretty half timbered houses and plenty of places to eat, the ice cream shop on the bridge is good too. Auray has a large Super U supermarket, and a large LeClerque supermarket opposite, also a Lidl round the corner, both the supermarkets sell fuel, there is also an excellent Pharmacy in the Super U area,there is also a supermarket that sells fuel in Baden itself.
Be aware that the gas cannisters in France do not fit UK connectors, so make sure you take enough with you.
On the site we ate in the restaurant and used the take away, both were good value,as were the drinks in the bar. Like most of the French sites we have visited they make the recycling easy, with the large coloured recycling bins easy to acess. It is not a site we would go back to, not because there is anything wrong with it, apart from the location, this year we have gone back to a previous site, that leads directly on to a beach and is much quieter with less facilities, further around the coast, purely our personal choice, if I can help with anything else you need to know you are welcome to PM me.

Reactions: Martin81mk
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We like La Falaise in La Turballe. The site is right on the beach and across the road is Super U with a service station. The site has an indoor pool with a small outdoor restaurant. OH and the dogs love it there as roll out of bed onto the beach it is that close.

Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
Hi Martin 81mk
We found the site very good, like a lot of French sites it is split into small areas with hedges in between we had a pitch in an area of 4, all had the individual sheds attached with private washroom, fridge, wash up sink etc. Also had our own tap and drain, hook up was same as England On arrival we had to wait for our pitch and there is a dedicated waiting area opposite the entrance. The site operated a bracelet system when we were there, and you load money onto your bracelet, and pay using the bracelet in the bars, restaurant shop etc The pool complex is excellent, we were there last week in August first week September 23, and the pools were busy the first week, much quieter the second week. the site is in a quite built up residential area, and the only downside for us was that you need to drive to get to shops , beach etc, but is easy to stay on site, there is plenty for youngsters to do, horse riding, kids club etc. If you want to leave the site the town of Auray is worth a visit, they have a llarge open air street market on Mondays in the centre, and the pretty port area down the hill , of St Goustan is worth a visit it has pretty half timbered houses and plenty of places to eat, the ice cream shop on the bridge is good too. Auray has a large Super U supermarket, and a large LeClerque supermarket opposite, also a Lidl round the corner, both the supermarkets sell fuel, there is also an excellent Pharmacy in the Super U area,there is also a supermarket that sells fuel in Baden itself.
Be aware that the gas cannisters in France do not fit UK connectors, so make sure you take enough with you.
On the site we ate in the restaurant and used the take away, both were good value,as were the drinks in the bar. Like most of the French sites we have visited they make the recycling easy, with the large coloured recycling bins easy to acess. It is not a site we would go back to, not because there is anything wrong with it, apart from the location, this year we have gone back to a previous site, that leads directly on to a beach and is much quieter with less facilities, further around the coast, purely our personal choice, if I can help with anything else you need to know you are welcome to PM me.
This is amazing information thank you. I looked when booking the location not being close to a beach. I think if everything goes well in August we will be looking at Italy and have found one right on the beach. I am going to take all the information you have shared and start planning. Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts