First trip this year - whats going to break?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I never used to feel this way but with our latest caravan, every time we go on a trip I expect something to break. Mostly due to my paranoia about design and build quality but also that our roads have now progressed from potholes to craters, which give the caravan a good shake.

Last week was our first trip this year so a little on edge to find out what's happened when we get to site. Suprisingly nothing wrong with the caravan. However, not all good news as the first time we used the microwave it went wurr, splutter and died. Today I took it apart to see if I could fix it.

The fixing in the caravan is very poor to say the least - just a bracket holding it in at the front - so I suspected that since it can bounce up and down a little, something may have come adrift or broken inside. Once the cover was off there was no apparent breakages and all the fuses - internal and external were ok - as well as the thermal trips. So with the cover back on I powered it up again and it burst into life - then I noticed that the cooling fan at the rear wasn't working. Which probably explains why it sounded different and shut down quickly.

A closer look at the fan showed that it was rusty - picture attached. This is because the fan is almost against the wall of the caravan which has a ventilation grill in it. The problem though wasn't the rust but the motor windings had gone high resistance. So search for a new motor.

Some spares sites wanted more for the motor than the cost of the whole microwave. Ebay had some originals from the Middle Kingdom at about £15 but I found a used on for £7. If it works, fine, but I have a plan B which is to use a 240v fan from a PC.

In future I think we'll take the microwave out when at home and in transit, to prevent a build up of rust and possible shaking to destruction.

A word of caution - don't attempt to take a microwave apart unless you know what you're doing. Also don't power it on without the cover fitted. Microwaves are nasty.

LRM_20230428_111609.jpg

Reactions: Dustydog
Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Some spares sites wanted more for the motor than the cost of the whole microwave. Ebay had some originals from the Middle Kingdom at about £15 but I found a used on for £7. If it works, fine, but I have a plan B which is to use a 240v fan from a PC.
;) Typo I presume! You won't find a 240v fan in a PC.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'd be concerned the air flow of a computer fan might not provide enough air flow for the needed cooling. The type of impeller your removing is optimised towards high velocity air movement, , where as most PC fans aim for high volume but at a lower velocity. The microwave may need the higher velocity to get air moving around the outside of the microwave chamber. I'd recommend going for a direct replacement fan.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Also Microwave cooling fans 99% of the time have a built in thermostat which turns on the fan at a preset heat and then continues running after cooking to ensure all the electrical components and cabinet cool down. This is an essential feature designed to avoid a lot of issues including fires😥. To be honest I’d buy an oem fan unit or a new microwave . Cheap as chips from Argos etc.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
For the first time in 5 years we used the microwave in the caravan quite a bit due to family being with us. Quicker to use a fire to warm up the food as m/w was very slow.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
While the easiest solution in terms of form, fit and function would be a direct replacement it's very feasible for me to install a different fan type.

While I have only the power rating of the fan and rpm figures and not the volume of airflow, equipment fans come in a range of airflows. Some basic small units at about 20cfm upto larger types at above 200cfm. The enclosure through which the airflows is quiet small and even at 20cfm the air would be completely changed more than every couple of seconds or so.

Since we have an identical model in the house I can estimate the airflow I need.

Also the fan has no inbuilt thermal management. This is a function of the control electronics, if indeed it has that function. I've never noticed the fan over running though.

It would be wasteful and costly to get a new microwave when it's just a cooling fan that's died. Used fan £8, new microwave £60. No landfill other than dead fan.

FWIW: It's rated at 800w and for all we need it for works just fine.

A direct used replacement is on its way, but plan B is still under consideration.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
At the end of the day Sam we all love pound saving fixes. I’m well up with that . But my concern will always be that our “fixes “ are good ones and don’t lead the less well informed into a car crash.Profs point about volumetric capacity is important and I am pleased you have looked at it too. I’d hate to think some people may get the wrong end of the stick and opt for computer fans without any caveats

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Just back from our week away. Nothing broke as such but the caravan plug on the hook up cable simply refused to go in and needed a strong warden to mush it up. No idea what went wrong but it worked when we moved sites.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just back from our week away. Nothing broke as such but the caravan plug on the hook up cable simply refused to go in and needed a strong warden to mush it up. No idea what went wrong but it worked when we moved sites.
Did you use the centreing tool?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
At the end of the day Sam we all love pound saving fixes. I’m well up with that . But my concern will always be that our “fixes “ are good ones and don’t lead the less well informed into a car crash.Profs point about volumetric capacity is important and I am pleased you have looked at it too. I’d hate to think some people may get the wrong end of the stick and opt for computer fans without any caveats

Increasingly things are becoming harder to repair, although there is legislation in progress about the Right To Repair, though I'm not convinced this will make it easier or cheaper to get things fixed, just that they could be fixed.

So I always look for workarounds for problems I come across rather than just throw in the towel.

Engineering has been my life and as such I can't help but look at things and with the usual intake of breath think - 'I wouldn't do it that way' , so what if.....

Or put another way I like to think 'outside the box' :)

Anyone undertaking DIY repairs should really consider their own limitations and do so at their own risk.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I really do think People come to this forum, "Practical Caravanning" for answers to their problems, and I get upset at forum Members, at times when they don't know an answer to a problem by saying ,"Call an caravan service tech. "
If you don't know an answer , don't just post. We all know how diverting a posting can go and trying to get " one up on you" and then the Original poster leaves and doesn't get a useful answer.
Sorry rant over, again.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I really do think People come to this forum, "Practical Caravanning" for answers to their problems, and I get upset at forum Members, at times when they don't know an answer to a problem by saying ,"Call an caravan service tech. "
If you don't know an answer , don't just post. We all know how diverting a posting can go and trying to get " one up on you" and then the Original poster leaves and doesn't get a useful answer.
Sorry rant over, again.

However calling a "caravan service tech" may be the best option and advice for the OP as none of us know the condition of the caravan or the skills of the OP in some cases!

Reactions: PTA
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry rant over, again.
I agree with the sentiment of this comment, but it's not as black and white or as simple as you imply.

There have been several occasions where a problem has been brought to the forum, and from my professional experience I know the problem needs to be addressed in a particular way.

Often the correspondence that ensues reveals the OP does not have relevant experience to be able to resolve the issue.

Also there have been situations where a comment may have been added that is patently wrong or unsafe, which can send the OP on a wild goose chase.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the sentiment of this comment, but it's not as black and white or as simple as you imply.

There have been several occasions where a problem has been brought to the forum, and from my professional experience I know the problem needs to be addressed in a particular way.

Often the correspondence that ensues reveals the OP does not have relevant experience to be able to resolve the issue.

Also there have been situations where a comment may have been added that is patently wrong or unsafe, which can send the OP on a wild goose chase.

Agreed, when it comes to mains electricity and gas

I'll rarely comment on questions that relate to either, I don't want to be responsible for someone frying themselves or blowing up their family.

There are definitely times where, if someone has to ask, they shouldn't be turning to a forum for advice and getting a load of conflicting answers.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Agreed, when it comes to mains electricity and gas

I'll rarely comment on questions that relate to either, I don't want to be responsible for someone frying themselves or blowing up their family.

There are definitely times where, if someone has to ask, they shouldn't be turning to a forum for advice and getting a load of conflicting answers.
However by the same token they may not know any different and may think there is a simple solution so turn to a forum for advice.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
However by the same token they may not know any different and may think there is a simple solution so turn to a forum for advice.

True, and for something simple like "I have no mains electricity", we can all offer useful advice as the potential causes.

It's more when people get into specifics, like swapping the heating element in their water heater, or why one of their sockets isn't working. Certainly in Sams example above, if someone started asking questions around how he did it, i wouldn't want to make any suggestions!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
I couldn't and wouldn't want to repair a microwave.
My work around was to buy a replacement from a Spanish hypermarket for €30 ....about £25 at the time.....its not a cheapskate version either ....its well made.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
For me, who knows very little about DIY or caravan operations, it may be that there is a simple answer or simple something to try that is worth an initial go. Examples would be, finding the heating reset button on a Whale heater, simple fuse change, how to reset the Truma panel, or getting a pump working by aquaroll dunking to get the air out. These are all suggestions that have been given to me over the years on this forum, have worked and I have been grateful for them. That is the value of these forums.

Many more technical explanations do have a “call someone professional if you don’t know what you are doing caveat”. This is different to Ides of March lectures. At the end of the day, advice can only be given in good faith and it is the responsibility of he person undertaking the activity to assess the risk.
Mel

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My work around was to buy a replacement from a Spanish hypermarket for €30 ....about £25 at the time.....its not a cheapskate version either ....its well made.
Biggest issue is finding another microwave that is an exact fit. The current one in the caravan is 800w and the one at home 1000w Probably why it takes much longer than the one at home to cook anything,

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I couldn't agree more Bill.
A DIY tinkerer may not be aware that the capacitors inside a microwave oven could deliver a fatal electric shock for some considerable time after the appliance is disconnected from the mains.
The magnetron contains toxic substances which can be fatal if ingested into the lungs.
Unless the DIY repairer knows what they're doing, microwave ovens are best left alone.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I couldn't agree more Bill.
A DIY tinkerer may not be aware that the capacitors inside a microwave oven could deliver a fatal electric shock for some considerable time after the appliance is disconnected from the mains.

I was repairing an old Blaupunkt TV and it had 3 large capacitors for mains voltage. Before commencing work I knew I had to discharge them first so use a time old method of placing screwdriver across points. I had done this previously with no issue, but this time it took off the end of the screwdriver. Poor customer thought I had blown up the TV as I really jumped. Anyway after recovering I managed to fix the TV. I think the issue was that the mains dropper a rather large wire wound resistor had gone open circuit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts