First trip to Brittany

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi
I am just beginning my research into a trip to Brittany in Aug 2018 and wanted to ask for help - have to travel at the busiest time because of my job:

Would prefer a site near the coast but not essential.
Have a 15 yr old and need wifi.
Would like a swimming pool, bar and shop.
would like to avoid any organised "entertainment" if possible.
Love sites with hedges to separate pitches.
Fishing onsite or nearby if possible.
Village/town within walking distance.

This is a wish list and understand all probably isn't possible!! Do any of you seasoned travellers have any suggestions of areas/sites you have really enjoyed?
Thanks

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
When we did our first Brittany trip we booked Ty Nadan through the Caravan club. The slow running River Elle runs through, and there are indoor and outdoor pools. The pitch we obtained was hedged and overlooking the river which I think was a CC perk!. There is a shop (great for fresh bagettes daily!) and activities like the accompanied canoe trip down river and rock-face abseiling. We crossed Plymouth to Roscoff and because of timings took the overnight freebie with Brittany Ferries on a municipal site nearby, then 95 miles almost due South near Quimperle. It is a while ago but it might meet all your needs with Arzano as the nearest village - although can't remember if it's walking distance so Google earth might reveal. We loved it and found driving on the continent easy with light traffic and good signage.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have a look at Du Poulquer in Benodet, just south of Quimper. Stopped there this summer. It should tick most of your boxes.
For fishing the sea is about 200 yards from the site entrance. The Odet estuary is very near for river fishing.
About a couple of hours from Roscoff

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Camping des Menhir;s in Carnac. Within easy walking distance to the beach, restaurant's and bar's shops, bar on site, big super U just down the road. Good market in the town twice a week, loads in the area to see.
Oh yeah 2 pools on site one indoors others with flumes.

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
We went to https://www.camping-castels.co.uk/campsite/lanniron?gclid=CLCR5ODPjdYCFQ0R0wod-38Bpg on the oustskirts of Quimper a few years back when we had a camper van.
Nice site, there were bits of organised entertainment but if you weren't interested you'd never know they were going on. Water park was age but the weather was a bit hit and miss. I think if we went back to France we'd go further south purely for the weather.

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi
Having continued researching into a French holiday, I tend to think that I may need to travel a bit further South to get some more reliable weather. Usually we travel to Greece and get almost guaranteed sunshine but we love our caravan and wanted to travel abroad with it. However I do like nice weather for my main holiday so I think further South may be better - any ideas for the Loire region perhaps?

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
We travelled to France for the first time this summer via the tunnel firstly travelling to Normandy and then on to Quiberon/Carnac. As we are a retired couple with a dog we were able to spend a bit more time n France that would be normal for a 2 week break. After Normandy we travelled to Quiberon which has access to both the Atlantic coast which is spectacularly rugged and offered conditions similar to Cornwall and the calmer bay used by may for sailing bathing etc. We booked our site direct on.www.relaisdelocean.com . The site is about 50m from the beach, has a bar and an outdoor pool. Free wifi in the bar area. Facilities reasonably good and kept clean but had to get used to the universal unisex toilets/showers etc and this one did not provide toilet seats and paper but for the time of the year was very reasonably priced. We met our daughter and family the following week at Des Menhirs in Carnac where they stayed with Eurocamp. Facilities were excellent but this is a very busy site and pitches very tight and this was our most expensive site 470 euro for the week. Moved to a site further down the road Les Druids (unable to book 2 weeks at Des Menhirs) agin pool but none of the water slides and no bar but really good access again to beeches town and supermarket. We drove back to Calais from Carnac about 400mls 8/9 hrs drive and stayed at a beautifully located site near the village of Escalles just south of Calais. Very functional but large pitches very clean near to village and extremely reasonable. Stayed over to get dog wormed at vet before returning home 9th August. Weather overall was good but some rain but warm with it.
Impressed by no litter on roads and in general but dogs severely restricted if not totally banned on most beaches. Carnac also goof for walking and cycling wonderful maps from information centre. Will probably go again next year but probably not stay over in Normandy as we visited many of the special locations.
Also impressed by availability and variety of seafood.
Not a cheap holiday

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
neilharg149 said:
We travelled to France for the first time this summer via the tunnel firstly travelling to Normandy and then on to Quiberon/Carnac. As we are a retired couple with a dog we were able to spend a bit more time n France that would be normal for a 2 week break. After Normandy we travelled to Quiberon which has access to both the Atlantic coast which is spectacularly rugged and offered conditions similar to Cornwall and the calmer bay used by may for sailing bathing etc. We booked our site direct on.www.relaisdelocean.com . The site is about 50m from the beach, has a bar and an outdoor pool. Free wifi in the bar area. Facilities reasonably good and kept clean but had to get used to the universal unisex toilets/showers etc and this one did not provide toilet seats and paper but for the time of the year was very reasonably priced. We met our daughter and family the following week at Des Menhirs in Carnac where they stayed with Eurocamp. Facilities were excellent but this is a very busy site and pitches very tight and this was our most expensive site 470 euro for the week. Moved to a site further down the road Les Druids (unable to book 2 weeks at Des Menhirs) agin pool but none of the water slides and no bar but really good access again to beeches town and supermarket. We drove back to Calais from Carnac about 400mls 8/9 hrs drive and stayed at a beautifully located site near the village of Escalles just south of Calais. Very functional but large pitches very clean near to village and extremely reasonable. Stayed over to get dog wormed at vet before returning home 9th August. Weather overall was good but some rain but warm with it.
Impressed by no litter on roads and in general but dogs severely restricted if not totally banned on most beaches. Carnac also goof for walking and cycling wonderful maps from information centre. Will probably go again next year but probably not stay over in Normandy as we visited many of the special locations.
Also impressed by availability and variety of seafood.
Not a cheap holiday
Did you have ice cream at Igloo?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We tend to use the smaller , municiple sites, normally about €20 to 30 a day. But not having children dont need the big parks with water slides etc. Also with having 5 days before you travel back with the dogs , stay at Montreuil sur mer. For three days. 100 milesfom the ports

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts