First trip to France

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Hi all, Me and hubby have decided to venture to france in September for 5 days. Can anyone advise on the best routes traveling from west wales and the best sites. I say 5 days but knowing hubby it could well be a week! Also Do we need to take different equipement(IE=Electrical) Sorry still very new to this. So new i am still shiney!

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Are you Tesco Dianne.Either way cant help with routes as you dont say where you are going.As for different gear I would recommend that you have new E111 card,full travel insurance for you and car and van.In respect of electric take normal cable,a english to french converter cable available at all caravan dealers.Also buy male and female english mains cable plugs and two foot length of mains cable wire it up but in one end reverse positive and negative wires this will when put in system correct any reverse polarity which you will detect with the polarity tester that you will also buy from your friendly caravan dealer.Other than that all is same as hear except phrase book loads of euros and of course boxes to put all the wine bottles in!

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Yes Mr.P it is I.We were going to leave France until next year and then Ade(who is a keen cycliss and has been watching the tour) Decided he has to go this year! Men. Do want me to get you some Decaf?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Diane I will drop some information into the Petrol Station for you. We went to Plymouth for the ferry to Roscoff and stayed in Benodet, Brittany. Absolutly fantastic. Did most of the driving in this country - only 100 miles over there and roads were wonderful compared to our cart tracks in south Wales. Went M4, M5 and A30 to Plymouth. We travelled to Plymoth the day before sailing incase of problems on our roads. Stayed over night at the quay side. Brittany area there are no toll roads.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Diane I will drop some information into the Petrol Station for you. We went to Plymouth for the ferry to Roscoff and stayed in Benodet, Brittany. Absolutly fantastic. Did most of the driving in this country - only 100 miles over there and roads were wonderful compared to our cart tracks in south Wales. Went M4, M5 and A30 to Plymouth. We travelled to Plymoth the day before sailing incase of problems on our roads. Stayed over night at the quay side. Brittany area there are no toll roads.
Read under heading "Going to France (first time)"

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Diane - if you're going in September then it's probably worth you buying some Camping Cheques or getting an ACSI card - both give you discounts on site fees, on some great sites. With Camping Cheques the cost is

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Diane,I absolutely love France and have really missed not being able to go the last two years.Get yourself the bits that I mentioned above and have a great time whenever you go.Whilst there see if you could do some promotion work on our Smokaloo and the Hoovercrap.

I have emailed Carrefour in France re the coffee but no joy.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
ACSI is a Dutch (or might be German) camping organisation - which does 'independent' reviews of sites, and produces a card (the ACSI card) which you can buy. This comes complete with a book listing those sites offering a discount, and quoting the rate for that site. However, the website shows lots more sites which they have 'reviewed' - and some of these are not in the discount scheme. Hope this explains it! Have a look at the website for more information.

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi Diane,

Been to France a few times.From Wales,Plymouth to Roscoff is good.An overnight stay in Plymouth is recommended.Plenty of cls there.Definately sort the electrics as plotter says.By the way the ferry crossing to Roscoff is approx 8 hrs.I would recommend that you photocopy all the relevent p/work inc driving licence.I would also recommend Camping Cheque,if you check their web site you can order their site directory & map.You can then check the sites.If you don't want to drive too far with the caravan then the site at Carantac is only 10 mins from Roscoff.If you like fantastic beaches then Les Arbors on the north west is great.

Try L'eclerk supermarket for decaff.

By the way driving in France is a pleasure

Patman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts