First trip with XC 70

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi

We're just back from our first trip of the year and the first trip with our new, to us, 2008 XC 70 185bhp geartronic. The car felt much steadier than our mondeo, which had loads of miles, BUT I felt a bit dissapointed with the power. It may just have been the auto box being in too high a gear but at times it felt quite flat. Even Nic felt that when towing back and encountered a not particularly challenging hill.

I know there are a few XC70 drivers on the forum, have you felt this or are we expecting too much?

Many thanks

John & Nic

May 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi John and Nic

We haven't got an XC70, but we do have a 2007 XC90 with the same 185PS engine and the geartronic transmission. We tow a 1600 kg Swift single axle van. It is a heavier car so I would expect it to have to work harder than your engine. But, I must say there is no feeling of flatness. It always feels as if there is loads of power in reserve. It is quite nice occasionally to use some of the power to hold speed or even accelerate going up hills as a way of getting past motorway traffic that is just slower than us. The acceleration, towing, from 50 to 60 when required is very acceptable, and doesn't need the pedal to be floored.

Of course, the gear ratios may be different between the XC70 and XC90 so perhaps our experience is of little use to you.

Has the car been kept well serviced? Did you try using the manual option on the geartronic to get a better performance? I haven't needed to myself but then we haven't had your dissapointing experience. A wild, long shot, but are you sure that the Winter mode button hadn't been pressed in.

Cheers

Mike A

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Did the car feel like it was revving a bit for not much gain? If so change the gearbox fluid. It needs done about every 50-60k miles, sooner if you tow a lot. When you're towing the fluid gets hot, which in turn causes it to froth. This is an automatic transmission's biggest enemy. I bet if you dip the atf it smells like burnt toast.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi
Thanks for your replies.
The car has 32k miles with Volvo service history. I've had a quick look under the bonnet and the air filter looks a bit dirty, I'll change that if no improvement I'll take the car back to be checked over
Thanks again

John

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I would imagine that you will get the same answer that i did.
"its the emissions control sir". Apparently many Volvo owners have complained.

My Nissan dealer. Harrets Sheffield, sell new Volvo and Nissan's,
told me this, when i complained about the 171bhp xtrail feeling under powered.

I know the T31 xtrail is 100kg heaver and slightly higher geared that my old T30 xtrail 134bhp.
But low down torque doesn't seem to be as good as my old xtrail.

So i have learnt to take the revs higher, much like you would with a petrol car.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts