Fitting an Alko spare wheel carrier.

Sep 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

I'm thinking of fitting an Alko spare wheel carrier to the chassis of our 1994 Swift Rapide to reduce the noseweight. Is there just one size/type? Are they easy to fit?

Thanks

Frank

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I've fitted an alko carrier to the father-in-law's 1994 Bailey. The fitting holes are already in the chassis and the instructions a reasonably clear. You get a flow chart drawing that shows how and the sequence that all the bits go together.

One mod I've done to his is to drill the van floor inline with where the valve cap is for the wheel and using a piece of plastic hose I can remove the tyre valve cap to top up the air without having to drop the carrier down. I've made a bung of the right size to put back in the floor.

Steve.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I fitted one several years ago and it was very easy. To make it easier I dropped the nose as low as possible to give me increased room to work behind the axle. The spare wheel carriers come in widths so make sure you get the correct one for your van.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I believe there are different versions - check www.alko.co.uk for details.

If you tour abroad, it's advisable to swap the carrier from left exit to right exit for the trip - you wouldn't want to take out the carrier into the carriageway on a foreign road.

An alternative is to store the caravan spare in the car boot during touring trips - this will reduce your towing load as well as the noseweight. It does of course depend what else you put in the car boot.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts