Fixed Bed Caravans

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
Closure, No LOL, what about the van that has fixed twin beds at the rear, and a washroon across the cenre of the van, toilet and basin on one side and seperate square shower cubicle on the other, this can all be enclosed to integrate with the bedroom area, then an L shaped lounge at the front, this is what we have and I love it. Fleetwood Volante, (from this year called the Heritage 560/4)

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Ive been watching this thread for the past few days and its been very intersting.

The people against fixed beds mostly like the big bathroom,

the people for fixed beds have "compromised" the batrhroom

Well I chose my fixed bed because I think having a large bathroom a waste of space as we use site facilities, and we like to have the bed all made up,

as for the kitchen area being smaller, not in ours as we use the low level dresser oposite as a serving station when cooking

and the front of the van is well big enough for us 2 plus the dog.

Already been said, one mans meat and all that.

Im so glad we all like different things, as life would be soooooooooo boring if we all had the same and did the same

happy caravanning in what ever you like to caravan in

Kevin H

Jan 28, 2007
Visit site
Eileen, you said you like the large end washroom, and someone else said that the fixed bed takes up a third of the van for only 8 hours out of 24. Surely the large end washroom takes up a third of the van also, and you only use that for half an hour out of 24? To me, they both seem a tremendous waste of space. But as I've said so frequently on this forum, to each his/her own. If that's what you like, then buy it. Bu--er everybody else!!
Well Said!!!

Jan 28, 2007
Visit site
We have just taken delivery of our new caravan...a Bailey Pageant Bordeax. We chose this because of the fixed bed and the fact that the 1300kg all-up weight was ideal for our car to tow. Our previous caravan was an Abbey Freestyle 400. This had an end kitchen with very little worktop area for 'dishing up' your meals. The only other worktop was a small area on top of the fridge which already housed the T.V. Therefore I feel privilaged to have so much more space for cooking etc. with my new van.

I'm really looking forward to trying out our van when the weather improves (snow tomorrow forecast!) I'll put up with the small shower/toilet area in favour of the lovely fixed bed. We invariably could 'nt be bothered to fiddle about with all the cushions to make up the double bed in our old van and ended up sleeping on 2ft 2" wide singles....very uncomfortable!

Best of luck everyone with your own choices!

Feb 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Eileen, We bought our first van a few years ago and quickly decided it would be a fixed bed. I found the idea of sleeping on unsprung foam cushions night after night quite awful. We have removed the mattress from the fixed bed, put it in a spare bedroom and installed a standard sprung mattress. I do not see the point of being any less comfortable on holiday than I am when at home - my days of camping,sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag and not bothering about comfort passed a long time ago.

A fixed bed is not only useful at night, it is great for relaxing and reading a book or magazine for example.As for the compromise on the size of the kitchen and bathroom, we don't mind. The large space underneath is ideal for storing the chairs and table for the awning, which are bulky but not too heavy, a consideration as our bed is at the back of the van.

Making up a bed every night? sleeping on foam cushions? sleeping bags instead of a duvet? - never, its a fixed bed forever for us! Eileen.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a Bailey Senator,sprung seating and makes up a full size bed,not one with half the bottom shaved off.

Hey we have said all this before, phoenix ashes and all that????????????? Lol...........Joking!!!!

Allan & Gill.

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Hiya

We have a Bailey Senator Indiana (I just love typing that!! Two weeks ago we had a 1988 Abi Marauder!!)

We have a 4 year old and a baby. Our baby naps during the day and the fixed bed is ideal for our purposes - we have his travel cot set up on one side and our 4 year old sleeps on the other side near the wall so he doesn't fall out.

We have only been away in it once so far (last weekend) but it was fabulous - once everyone was up and the seats at the front had been turned into seats again (that is where hubby and I slept very comfortably) I could go back to bed with a cup of tea whilst hubby "walked" the boys!!

There is masses of space underneath it to store our awning and ground sheets, wastemaster, windbreaks, etc. Personally love it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pleased you like your Bailey Senator

kathryn, and that the layout that you have chosen works for you. Took delivery of ours just before christmas & love it.

Allan & Gill.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
We have only been away in it once so far (last weekend) but it was fabulous - once everyone was up and the seats at the front had been turned into seats again (that is where hubby and I slept very comfortably) I could go back to bed with a cup of tea whilst hubby "walked" the boys!!

What an excellent advertiment for fixed bed caravans.

Val & Frank

May 12, 2006
Visit site

What an advertisment for fixed bed caravans

Val & Frank

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Alan - my mum is so impressed with it as well. Sadly my dad is very disabled with Parkinsons Disease and is now housebound but I could see that glint in her eye of if only.... She thinks it is better than a hotel room!

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site

What an advertisment for fixed bed caravans

Val & Frank
Honestly I felt like I was in heaven!! The sun was shining through the windows the van was warm and cosy (it was below freezing outside so everything looked beautiful)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Frank & Val put the bone down, it has been debated to within an inch of it's life, and we have all agreed one man's meat........................... and the rest that follows, let's all go and enjoy our caravans no matter what the lay out.

Have fun, be happy, and above all smile.

Allan & Gill.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Only Heaven!

Seven foot by six six non fixed bed is Heaven and the stars and angels and all the universes pooled into one with brass knobs on over any other superlative ;-)

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Allan " Frank & Val put the bone down, it has been debated to within an inch of it's life, and we have all agreed one man's meat........................... "

I have

Kathryn is one happy lady with her purchase I was just congratulating her on HER choice.

Val & Frank

GGGGGGRRRRRRRRrrrrrrgggrrggrrgr all gone

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts