Flat battery problems

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It looks as though my caravan battery is rather flat.

What's the best way to charge it up?

Will the onboard charger or the car when towing charge it up or do I need to take it out and charge it?

Would a car battery charger be suitable?

What's the best way of testing charge on battery before and after charging?

Thanks Tim.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tim - unfortunately caravan chargers never fully charge the battery, as this keeps any gas emissions to a minimum. I always give my battery a top up with a car battery charger twice a season to keep it fully charged. Your car's charger will only maintain the battery's charge, not add to it. Most leisure batteries require a charging voltage of 14.4 volts, van chargers usually peak at 13 volts. If you do charge it seperately, make sure you do so in a well ventilated area out of the van as hydrogen can be given off.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tim - unfortunately caravan chargers never fully charge the battery, as this keeps any gas emissions to a minimum. I always give my battery a top up with a car battery charger twice a season to keep it fully charged. Your car's charger will only maintain the battery's charge, not add to it. Most leisure batteries require a charging voltage of 14.4 volts, van chargers usually peak at 13 volts. If you do charge it seperately, make sure you do so in a well ventilated area out of the van as hydrogen can be given off.
I have just driven 300 miles and my nearly flat battery on leaving the site is fully charged now according to my display meter in the van !

May 26, 2005
Visit site
TRY PUTTING A SOLAR CHARGER IN YOUR VAN WINDOW, THIS WILL STOP THE BATTERY GOING FLAT, IF THERE IS NO DRAIN ON THE SYSTEM, IT WILL KEEP THE BATTERY TOPPED UP NICELY WHILST THE VAN IS NOT IN USE, I HAVE FITTED ONE TO MY CHALLENGER AND IT KEEPS THE BATTERY JUST RIGHT, YOU WONT HAVE TO KEEP TAKING IT OUT AND CHARGING IT THIS WAY,

CHEERS,

ROB.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts