floppy awning

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Afternoon all, having just returned from a weekend away and being only the third time away can someone please help with the putting up of an awning - everytime we put the awning up we seem to get floppy and taught bits - are we missing something when we put this up, any hits and tips would be greatly appreciated......

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Sean,

I will try to help. When erected are the sides of the awning horizontal, irrespective of whether or not the ground is level. This can be done by putting a spirit level along the top of the awning window. Also is the front of the awning level, irrespective of whether the ground is level.

If not when you tension the awning it will not be even.

Make sure all the poles are fully tensioned.

I am assuming you have levelled the caravan, front to back and side to side before putting up the awning.

Having levelled the caravan front to back and side to side , and got the awning sides and front level,and if you are on uneven ground you will find that one side of the awning is nearer to the ground than the other side. DO NOT move the awning to compensate.

I am assuming it is a full awning.

If a porch the same rules apply, however make sure the sides of the awning just touch the sides of the caravan.

Hamer

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Hamer, we have never leveled any of the poles so that may be were we are going wrong and yes it is a full awning, on a another note, the grey "flaps" that are on the botton of the awning are they supposed to be on the inside or out ? and should all windows and doors be removed before putting up an awning - we`ve got so much to learn.........

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Sean,

With regards to the sides and front being zipped out or in.

It is easier to slide the roof in with the sides and roof zipped out. Then with the roof in the awning rail, and the poles erected, you can zip in the sides and front.It is better not to fully tension the roof poles until you have zipped in the sides and front. If it is windy it will help if you put a peg in each front corner of the awning, in roughly the right position before zipping in the sides and front. It will just hold things steady, you can put the pegs in the correct position when you tension and level the awning.Remember to remove the sides and front when you take down the awning.

With regard to the mud wall round the bottom. If the pegging straps are on the inside of the mud wall then the mud wall goes outside.

If the pegging straps are on the outside of the mud wall, then the mud wall goes inside the awning.

Hamer

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Hamer, you are coming up with some real gems of info here - the mud skirt has eyelets both inside and out ......

We currently leave all windows and doors in which would explain why its tricky and flippin heavy to thread the awning through the rail - another lesson learnt - any other tips ??????

Thanks again

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Sean,

When takeing the awning down, even if it is calm, leave the front two corner pegs in until you have zipped out the sides and front and removed the poles. If there is a sudden gust of wind the roof will remain in place.

Where the bottom of the awning material meets the grey mud wall, on most awnings there will be straps to peg the awning down. If so what i said above applies. If not use the mud wall eyelets to peg outwards.

Make sure you carry Rock Pegs as well plastic pegs so you can pitch on any type of ground. I always carry a reasonably heavy duty claw hammer, to knock the pegs in and the claw to get them out. Has worked well for 35 plus years!!

Never be tempted to only half or less peg down the awning.I have seen many awnings ruined in this way, and caravans damaged, because caravanners have not fully pegged down their awnings, gone out for the day and the weather has taken a turn for the worse.If your awning has guy ropes then attach them every time.

Hamer

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
Sean

A tip I was given is to feed the awning from the front as the angle where the awning channel turns along the length is less here than at the back,well usually anyway.This means you are pulling most of the awning through the easier angle.

Gill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts