For dog lovers only.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi all, Pat and I have just returned from a week in Devon with our first ever dog (Harley).

Harley is 7 years old collie and has spent most of its time going from one owner to another and several months in a rescue centre.

We have owned him now for 9 weeks but was a bit concerned about how we would all get on in the van.

My last words to Pat was NO dog on the bed at night, well he snuggled up in between us both all night, we had to wake him up in the morning as he is a late sleeper, he did do some barking in the day at the tractor and one or two dogs but all was fine until we visited the sea.

Do you think I could get him out, I had to paddle in to get him.

I was amassed how many dogs there was on the site or is it that I did not notice them before as I did not have a dog then.

He also saved us money as we did not look round shop's go to restaurants or zoo's.

Yes I want to come back as a dog, it is a new life for Pat and me.

Oh and by the way this is my first true day of retirement.

I may be broke but I feel as if I have been set free.

Jan 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi Pat and Reg,
Congratulations on aquiring Harley.Glad to hear he s settling in.Our labrador has been out in the van with us since she was 8 weeks old.And yes she sleeps on the bed with us,in the middle with her head on the pillow.We were thinking of changing her name to Durex.
smiley-embarassed.gif
.We find that with having to walk the dog,we see more of the area we are visiting,otherwise we would drive past.And you would be surprised how many people will stop and chat to you when you have a dog.
Hope you are enjoying your retirement,

Nellie.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
A totally new lifestyle now, Reg, with retirement and a dog. I have led a very full and enjoyable life, but without doubt, the best years have been since I retired 8 years ago! Oh, and we've had dogs ever since we got back from honeymoon 47 years ago.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
we started our caravanning life due to our two cavalier king charles spaniels, prior to getting the dogs we always holidayed abroad. first came sam our dog and 1 1/2 years later sally our ***** (sams daughter)the caravan came very shortly after as we could just not leave them home for two weeks. well that was 13 years ago sam is now a very old 14 1/2 and sally is 13, both really old for a breed that has a life expectancy of 8 years and they are both really healthy and fit although sally is a little death lol. sadly the caravan is for sale now and we won't be having another untill at the very least our property renovations in france are complete in 5 to ten years but i can honestly say the dogs made our caravan holidays so much more of a joy, and yes they do save you money due to the amount of walking you do with them. we now also have a loveable rogue in the form a puppy siberian husky *****, both cavaliers are too old for the pet passport so the husky is my new partner when i go alone to work on the house.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
There you go Reg
You have now discovered the joys of being a dog like me
smiley-smile.gif

Our two Springer Spaniels go everywhere with us.
They sleep down the lounge end although they have been known to creep under the divider and get on our bed at night. A solid wooden mod has fixed that.
Caravanning is a way of life to them and they know they must stay on the floor after a walk especially when wet and muddy .
More importantly our choice of site is governed by being dog friendly and no dog charge plus must have a real long decent dog walk, eg a forest or piver path , foot paths etc.
Just one word of warning . always remember you and Pat are the "top dogs " not Harley.
smiley-cool.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Reg and Pat we too have a border collie Ben and we don`t go any where that we can`t take him, he sleeps in the front of the van between the seats we are in the fixed bed, he never gets on the bed or seats apart from bonfire night if we are away he doesn`t like bangs. As you stated Harvey likes the sea so too does Ben we try to get sites close to the sea because its his time as well, he actually lays in it waiting for us to throw something, to be honest don`t know what we would do without him

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi Reg & Pat,
We got into caravanning thanks to our dogs - we compete at dog agility & wanted to travel to more distant shows & be able to stay over weekends. Last year was our 1st year with the caravan - we spent 59 nights away,mostly at agility competitions.

We now have 4 border collies - the youngest is only 15 weeks old, & our first trip away this year is at Easter - can't wait for it - it's going to be fun
smiley-laughing.gif

Cheers,
Jim

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I too got into caravanning so we wouldn’t have to put our border collie in kennels. She has been to several countries in Europe and over most of the UK. Unfortunately she has been diagnosed as having a tumour in her bladder and has only weeks to live, if that. Quite what I’ll do when she goes I don’t know. We are going away again in a couple of weeks providing she’s okay but I think it will be her last trip.
smiley-cry.gif
smiley-cry.gif
smiley-cry.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
chrisbee 1 said:
I too got into caravanning so we wouldn’t have to put our border collie in kennels. She has been to several countries in Europe and over most of the UK. Unfortunately she has been diagnosed as having a tumour in her bladder and has only weeks to live, if that. Quite what I’ll do when she goes I don’t know. We are going away again in a couple of weeks providing she’s okay but I think it will be her last trip.
smiley-cry.gif
smiley-cry.gif
smiley-cry.gif
Oh dear Chrisbee
smiley-cry.gif

Really sorry to hear that.
With similar news 5 years ago we brought our hols forward to May and had five great weeks with our Springer touring Scotland. We said goodbye in July but have some great pics of that dog enjoying herself . It was the best hol I've ever had. She's gone now and rightly or wrongly within three weeks we acquired two sister Springers who by some twist of fate are in the distant past related to our baby. I've never looked back but Dusty will always be the "top dog".

Best wishes in these difficult times
smiley-kiss.gif

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Dusty. The cancer was first discovered in January last year, they operated on the tumour but could not remove it all. They gave her six months maximum so I guess we’ve been lucky to have her as long as we have. This time there is nothing they can do. We just watch her like a hawk, waiting for her to be in distress then it will be her time to go. In the meantime she’s being spoilt rotten.

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
HI REG AND PAT, We have 4 dogts which all go caravanning with us and yes the smallest a king charles spaniel sleeps on our bed at the bottom where my feet are. The others are bigger dogs, 2 border collies and a 5 month old black lab, they are put to bed in the awning, the pup sleeps in a cage which has a big, big cushion in it, not to mention her toys as well. during the evening all our dogs are in the caravan with us while we watch tv, they love the caravan and as soon as they see us start to pack it up they jump in our car and refuse to budge. They love the walks as we are out nearly allday and of course all that fresh air helps us all, dogs included to sleep well. Best thing for us was buying our caravan way back in 1979, of course we have over the years had different dogs mostly though 4 at a time so its nothing new to us. So enjoy yr retirement reg and good luck with harley, I,m sure u will have many happy caravanning years ahead..

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I have a very wayward, 5 yr old black Labrador (he's 48 kilo of muscle due to being on steroids following an op at 5 months) and there's no way I would take him away in my van (much as I would love to). He simply needs more space. Also, the thought of attaching his tie-out lead to the jockey wheel of the van and then seeing both him AND the van disappear down the site doesn't appeal!!! When I go away in the van, he goes to his 2nd home (the kennels) where he has a fantastic time (I think the owner has a bit of a soft spot for him and spoils him rotten basically). He knows where he's going when we are around 3 miles away from his holiday home and gets so excited - it's good to know that I can enjoy my holiday (go out for the day and not have to worry about him being in the van, or have to restrict the places where we visit to dog friendly only), I can relax knowing he's not barking constantly and annoying my neighbours and have the peace of mind that he is probably having a better time than I am!!!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your dogs terminal illness Crisbee, what a bummer.
Like others we got a caravan because it was a way of going places and enjoying the dogs and refusing to put them in kennels. Since then we have lost three, the last 12 months ago when she was 16 and it never gets any easier. And each time I tell my wife 'no more dogs' because I find it too upsetting and each time she has her way and we end up with another pup.
At the moment we have two and when first getting a caravan we started out with the best intentions, no sleeping on the bed. After throwing them off the bed umpteen times I gave up and all have slept on the bed since. The caravan bed is bigger than our bed at home and because the dogs are small it's no hardship really especially as one sleeps up in the corner.
Enjoy your dog Pat & Reg but do me a favour
smiley-smile.gif

Wherever your dog dumps please pick it up whether it does it on a field, woods or wherever. Other people also enjoy walking alongside rivers, through woods etc. and there is nothing worse than seeing dog crap all over the place apart from actually treading in it
smiley-wink.gif

We've just stayed on a nice CL and there was no dog mess on site but along the farm drives there was plenty. I couldn't complain though because the farmers two Labs had the run of the lanes. Alongside the site is the River Windrush with what must be a public right of way by the amount of people walking dogs. The field alongside the river was full of dog mess, thankfully locals and not caravanners. Wherever they are from though it still gives dog owners a bad name
smiley-frown.gif

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Enjoy your dog Pat & Reg but do me a favour
smiley-smile.gif

Wherever your dog dumps please pick it up
Pat pickes up other peoples dogs dumps if on the pathways.
I have invested in a popa scupa, it has a handle and a trigger and spare bags in my pocket, I don't like doing it but there are some things in life a mans got to do what a mans got to do.
As for the bed sleeping, I am thinking of suggesting to Pat we try sleeping at the front as that would be a larger bed, but some how I can not see Pat entertaining that idea as we would have to make and unmake the bed, the rear bed can convert to a sitting area with a small table with room for my computer.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Reg and Pat said:
I have invested in a popa scupa, it has a handle and a trigger and spare bags in my pocket, I don't like doing it but there are some things in life a mans got to do what a mans got to do.

Ewwwwww, I can't pick up others dogs dumps but as for our own dogs I don't find it a problem. It's a bit like changing nappies. I could change our own kids nappies but not anyone elses .. 'pukey icon thingy'
I just put my hand inside the bag, pick it up then tie the bag up. On cold mornings I pop it into my pocket. Makes a great hand warmer
smiley-smile.gif

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
Reg and Pat said:

Ewwwwww, I can't pick up others dogs dumps but as for our own dogs I don't find it a problem. It's a bit like changing nappies. I could change our own kids nappies but not anyone elses .. 'pukey icon thingy'
I just put my hand inside the bag, pick it up then tie the bag up. On cold mornings I pop it into my pocket. Makes a great hand warmer
smiley-smile.gif

I dont like doing it either, remember last week when he had the runs, oh my god had to scoop up two handfuls, man was I gagging and nearly had to vomit in one of the dog bags. Glad I was the only one in the dog walk. He's fine now.

Now LB , Pop it in Pocket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Word's fail me!!!!!!!!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Karina said:
I have a very wayward, 5 yr old black Labrador (he's 48 kilo of muscle due to being on steroids following an op at 5 months) and there's no way I would take him away in my van (much as I would love to). He simply needs more space. Also, the thought of attaching his tie-out lead to the jockey wheel of the van and then seeing both him AND the van disappear down the site doesn't appeal!!! When I go away in the van, he goes to his 2nd home (the kennels) where he has a fantastic time (I think the owner has a bit of a soft spot for him and spoils him rotten basically). He knows where he's going when we are around 3 miles away from his holiday home and gets so excited - it's good to know that I can enjoy my holiday (go out for the day and not have to worry about him being in the van, or have to restrict the places where we visit to dog friendly only), I can relax knowing he's not barking constantly and annoying my neighbours and have the peace of mind that he is probably having a better time than I am!!!

Hi Karina, just in case you think you are a lone voice; I also kennel my mutt when we go away. Two reasons, first she gets hideously car sick and second I have a better holiday without her. I probably will get told off for this comment. However, I stand by it. I love my dog and ensure she has a very good kennel to go to (like yours she is all waggy tailed when she gets there) but my life does not revolve around her.
mel

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Our last dog a G/Shepard came with us for the short breaks but use to kennel him for the week plus hols.
Havent decided on the new one yet but he has been away with us both times so far and he loves it.
Suspect the OH would leave me home and take the pup if she had a choice
smiley-smile.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Mel said:
Hi Karina, just in case you think you are a lone voice; I also kennel my mutt when we go away. Two reasons, first she gets hideously car sick and second I have a better holiday without her. I probably will get told off for this comment. However, I stand by it. I love my dog and ensure she has a very good kennel to go to (like yours she is all waggy tailed when she gets there) but my life does not revolve around her.
mel

Why would you get told off?
What you do is your business and as long as it works for yourself and your dog is no concern of others.
We simply don't put ours in kennels because we enjoy having them with us. Apart from that they really are lap dogs and we know they would pine so kennels isn't an option even if we wanted to choose that path.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Thank you for your supportive words LB. As I have often heard folks on hear say that they took up vanning to take the dogs on holiday with them I was afeared of a telling off for kenneling mine. I am humbled by your gracious goodness.
smiley-embarassed.gif

mel

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mel said:
Thank you for your supportive words LB. As I have often heard folks on hear say that they took up vanning to take the dogs on holiday with them I was afeared of a telling off for kenneling mine. I am humbled by your gracious goodness.
smiley-embarassed.gif

mel

Aw bless Mel. We took up caravanning INITIALLY (well, I did), for three reasons:

1. For me to take the van to Appleby horse fair
2. To take the dog's away with us because I always felt kennels were quite expensive compared to going away with us, compared to site costs.
3. You're never quite sure the dogs are being properly looked after

However, six years down the line:

1. I stop in a country house for Appleby horse fair, too much hassle taking the van, takes too long to get there.
2. I've changed my mind about kennels, I would have no qualms about kenelling the pair of them
3. Can't comment on whether the dog's are looked after properly or not, the jury's out on that one. I'd inspect the kennels and take personal recommendations.

One thing I will say is, in all the time we've taken them away, they've been fine. Even at Robin Hood's Bay last year when we had 'the neighbours' from hell (two incompetent dog owners) next to us. Their dog survived landing on my little gaylord, and despite it (the CKCS) attempting to take lumps out of gaylord, it still lived to tell the tale. Albeit with some kind but firm words from me.
smiley-cool.gif

That's the only thing about SOME dog owners, they fail to pick up and they have no control over their little darlings. Pee's me off big time.

You continue to take yours to kennels, good on you. Don't feel you have to keep it secret, what the hell has it got to do with anyone anyway?
smiley-smile.gif

Lisa xxxxx

TRENDING THREADS