Ford Edge v Discovery Sport

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We have a discovery sport. OH who drives it is very pleased. Have only towed a very little van with it as our van is on a seasonal pitch. Towed well.
Mel

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
We have towed with both at the Tow Car Awards. Of the two, the Discovery Sport is the better tow car, but the Edge is perfectly acceptable, although not outstanding.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think it is safe to say all Discovery models are amongst the best towcars there is, but many criticise the reliability record and they can be costly if things go wrong and it is out of guarantee. Not driven the Edge, but Fords are generally decent tow cars, rather than outstanding.
Most of us drive at lot more without a caravan on the back than with, so provided the car will tow well when needed, the main criteria has to be how it works for you in every day use, and that is down to personal preferences.

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
I tow with an Edge; got the 210psi with powershift. I've found it to a rock solid tow car with fairly good mpg. power isn't a problem, it's always got plenty in reserve. The car generally is very roomy, very comfortable and well insulated from noise. Day to day commuting returns between 38 and 40mpg depending on traffic and towing has seen about 28mpg on one run and 26 on the return.
Quite possibly the Discovery is a better tow car but I know too many people who've suffered breakdowns for me to seriously consider one. my only regret with my edge is not speccing led headlights, the standard ones aren't that good.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
There are some excellent Ford tow cars, the Mondeo for example. However, as every day cars I personally think that they are often grossly underrated. This probably stems from the kudos in the company/golf club car park, and to a large extent the press.

My son has a 16-plate Mondeo estate 240ps petrol as his company car. I have the privilege of driving it on occasions, and it is such a lovely car to either drive or ride in. I recently used a Range Rover Velar for a weekend, which was nice (but should be at £70k!!), and the day after drove the Mondeo, and couldn’t help thinking what a lovely car this is, and for a fraction of the price. A colleague of his has an Audi A4, which cost more, but doesn’t have anywhere near the number of toys. Problems on the Mondeo so far (30,000 miles), nil. Audi, consistent issues with the brakes squealing, and a wheel bearing failure already. Like TonyH1’s Edge though, the Mondeo could do with the LED headlights.

I have towed our caravan with the Mondeo too (empty), and it really is very good.

I digress............

The Edge that we towed with was a lightweight in the heavyweight class, so it didn’t come as a surprise that it wasn’t a class winner as there are some exceptional cars in that class usually. But, it certainly didn’t disgrace itself. Indeed, our colleague from Alko was very keen to see how it performed as he’d just bought one. He wasn’t disappointed.

Again, the Discovery Sport is the better tow car (general consensus and backed up with data from Al-Ko), but as day to day cars there’s probably nothing to choose between them. The Edge will undoubtedly be the cheaper for servicing though as I’m sure that LR think of a number, double it, and then add a 0 at the end - whether it’s the initial price, servicing or parts! I know, I’m skint as a result!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve had three Mondeos and all were excellent cars. When I worked for a large private company I had a new engineering manager join after leaving the Royal Navy. I had arranged for him to have a company car as a part of his benefit package. His own car was a V70 Volvo Estate and he was most disappointed when he saw that at his level Volvos and Saab’s were a no-no. So with some reluctance he accepted a Mondeo Estate. Next day after receiving his new company car he arrived in the office positively extolling the attributes of the mondeo when compared to his V70 which was only two years older. This was in early 2000s.

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Thanks to all for your comments and views. For a long time I had set my heart on the Discovery Sport, but the experience when test driving left me a bit flat. Nothing that specific but I could not get comfortable. Then when talking price, the pounds soon mounted when I asked for “extras” like reversing camera, tow bar etc.itseemed to get a half decent spec was adding thousands. Then we went to look at the Edge. No mean feat in itself, they are quite rare, but I have to say looked amazing. My tall frame fitted it like a glove and the Titanium had loads of extras as standard. I eventually settled on one with the lux pack, panoramic roof, front and rear cameras,air conditioned and heated leather seats, lane assist , the lust goes on, all for 33k through car wow. Picking it up Saturday and can’t wait to get the caravan on the back.

Thanks again
Jim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts