Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Could anyone help regarding the maximum towing weights for the Ford Focus range.Our caravan weighs 1100 kg max loaded.

Looking to by secondhand around 3 - 5 years old.I would imagine I would need to look at engine size of 1.8 and above,would prefer petrol but realise deisel may be my only option for weight.

Would like to stay within the 85% guide but have been caravanning for 30 years so would feel ok stretching that a bit...

Any help/advice would be very welcome as we need to change soon.

regards john.b.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you haven't bought it yet then i would opt for a slightly bigger car, the focus max tow weight for 1.8 is 1200 hence your a bit close to the limit, what about the ford mondeo, im towing a caravan 1500kg with one and it is like a dream,

hope this helps

regards

davie

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I wouldn't see it quite as negatively. According to the Ford website, the kerbweight of a 5-door 1.8 petrol Focus is between 1307 and 1350kg so the weight ratio would always be below 85% and with an 1100kg caravan and noseweight limit of 75kg you'd have a 175kg margin before you reach the towing limit. Why buy anything bigger than you need?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm not being negative but the focus is a little bit small i think for towing but as you say the figures add up so hey ho off you go

davie

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm not being negative but the focus is a little bit small i think for towing but as you say the figures add up so hey ho off you go

davie
I can understand the pros and cons of looking for a lighter towcar.

The reason I am changing is that at present I drive a Vauxhall Omega 2.2 which I use to tow our van.

My wife drives a Ford Ka,she only does around 1000 miles annually.We feel that the cost of running the Ka for such a low mileage is hard to justify finacially.

She also finds the Omega a bit of a handful and difficult to reverse.

I have owned a Mondeo in the past which I liked but still to big for my wife,hence the reason for looking at the Focus.

We will sell the two cars and just run the Focus which is a compromise but a benefit finacially but as mentioned still has to be up to towing the caravan

regards john.b.

Feb 20, 2006
Visit site
hi, i have a focus 1.8 tddi and tow a 1100kg caravan,had no problems over the last 4 years, and i get good m,p,g when towing. the better half likes to drive it as well

Apr 25, 2007
Visit site
Thanks to all for taking time to reply,looks like I need to start looking at the 1.8 engine models

regards john.b.
Hi there

Ive got a ford focus 1.8tdi estate and i havent bought a caravan yet but i have been looking.To regard to the last posts i dont understand the nose weight thing. As far as im aware the focus up to 05 plate has a nose weight of 50kg. Am i talking rubish?.Im a novice at the moment and trying to find my way. As all i know is i want to tow a caravan.

Many thanks

Dave

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts