Foreign electrics

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

We are taking our Auto-Sleeper Braodway FB 2016 to France/Italy very soon & I am a bit concerned about the electrics, I have bought myself a reverse polarity tester & a reverse polarity ehu adapter, I have the 2 pin adapter ready to go, but what I am after is a setup guide as there is lots of info on the web but with different views, so i thought i would ask the experts, so here is my take on it:-

arrive at site
connect 2 pin adapter to ehu pole on pitch
connect the main ehu lead(long one) into adapter end
connect short stubby reverse polarity cable into moho & the other end into the end of the long cable
test 3 pin socket inside of van with tester before switchig on any other appliances in van
Is this correct?

Many thanks

Sean

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
Hi Sean,
Don't be too concerned regarding reverse polarity, it won't harm any of your habitation equipment. All it means is that your electrical consumer box will remain live even with the master habitation RCD switched off... It's just a matter of remembering to isolate the EHU at the source rather than the consumer panel.

Worth remembering too that internal habitation sockets such as those manufactured by CBE aren't usually switched meaning that even when on site in the UK any 3 pin outlet will be permanently live once the domestic power is on and I know those who never turn it off, before or after connection.
Try it normally first, reverse polarity isn't common but if you do come across it simply attach your adapter if concerned.
Another idea is to purchase a metre length of quality 3 core cable,attach male/female IP44 rated Ceform plugs and use this with your polarity tester first...EHU's are simple to make, just consider it similar to a domestic extension.

The 2 pin plug is more widespread in Spain and on Aires, but again just think of it as needing a travel plug for the ferry.

Iain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts