Forest site

May 23, 2006
Visit site
We have just returned from our annual visit to a site at the Forest of Dean which unfortunately will be the last time we use that site. We have been going there for the last 11 years and always had a great time, never had any trouble and always found the staff to be very helpful.

So whats changed?

They now impose a type of curfew on entering the site. They have installed a lockable gate which they lock at 10pm.Yes 10pm. If you are not back on the site before that time the gate will be locked and you have to leave your car off the site until the next morning.

This might not be a problem to some people but for me it was. I have a labrador sized dog that is 15yrs of age and disabled (cant walk on hind legs,she has to be carried) we went out for a meal at a restaurant and returned at 10.03pm. Warden refused to open the gate. They gave two excuses for such a ridiculus closing time - 1. to stop people coming back onto the site at night when drunk and driving over somebodies tent. (Obvioulsy people dont get drunk before 10pm then!!!!

2. There were wild pigs / bores in the woods that would come onto the site and burrow into the tents! The gates stopped them.

Obvioulsy the pigs cant find a different way into the field or be wise enough to do it before 10pm.

Also spoke to another caravaner who was with her wheelchair bound elderly mother. Staff still refused to open the gate.

Wardens and staff couldn't care less - rules are rules.

Surely common sense should be used. Dont people use caravans as a means to have a break, get away from work and have a little fun? It's ok to get drunk on the site until midnight and cause a noise and disturb others so long as you dont go off site and want to come back after 10pm.

This site has really gone down hill in the last few years.

May 27, 2006
Visit site
We`ve been using that site for years now and wernt very impressed when up there in May but I heard that 'things are about to change'.

It now comes under the C&C clubs flag and is due to be updated (i`m told) Time will tell.

We will probably use it again this year and once next when the new management get to grips with things but after that its probably going to be the end of a happy relationship for us

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
Thats so mean of them Stephen, they must have seen you struggle with your poor dog...I quite agree with you - dont bother to go there again and take your custom elsewhere....surely in circumstances like yours and with someone who is disabled the wardens could have made a "one off" decision ...dont they have any compassion?!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts