Fort William to Mallaig - 'The Jacobite' steam train

Mar 14, 2008
Visit site
We holiday in that area every year and the train journey is very beautiful. Not much to do in Mallaig though other than have some lunch (local prawns)and wander about the harbour. The steam train crowd tends to fill the town for an hour or so.

It can sometimes rain as well which reduces your options. Good swimming pool though.

All the best

Gordon

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Gordon,

We've been on the Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh train and thoroughly enjoyed that, so we thought we would do this one when we're in the Fort William area in June.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi all

we booked this very trip 2years ago in april when we knew we would be up there touring I must say it was very disapointing the brochure pictured a old steam train with victorian carrages.

what we got was a 2 carriage electric metro train in geneal service doing the normal daily route stopping at every station the route mostly seemed to go through railway cuttings back gardens and industrial estates and took about 1 and half hours

the highlight of the journey was crossing the aquaduct with spectacular views across the bay. the train driver kindly stopped the train for a few mins so the passengers could take some photos unfortunetly we were on the wrong side of the train (right side)and could not do this, (metro train carriage).

in mallaig when we got off the train we were told the return journey would depart in about 3 hrs it was pouring with rain and freezing cold.

to be honest it was probably not the best day to visit but we felt the place was a bit run down. a walk round the aquarium to get out of the rain took 15mins and was interesting if you like looking at empty tanks and being charged

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
We have been going to Scotland for many years, but somehow never got round to going on the railway, but this year, as a treat for my husband I have booked for his birthday! :O)

meals on wheels, the railway gets booked up very quickly, if you are thinking of going, I would book asap. I booked in February for June!

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Colin,

I think that I am right in that the steam train doesn't start until May.What a shame that you didn't enjoy your day.

Have to agree with you that Mallaig is disappointing,but the rest of the journey makes up for it.

Better luck next time.

May 8, 2007
Visit site
hi all

we booked this very trip 2years ago in april when we knew we would be up there touring I must say it was very disapointing the brochure pictured a old steam train with victorian carrages.

what we got was a 2 carriage electric metro train in geneal service doing the normal daily route stopping at every station the route mostly seemed to go through railway cuttings back gardens and industrial estates and took about 1 and half hours

the highlight of the journey was crossing the aquaduct with spectacular views across the bay. the train driver kindly stopped the train for a few mins so the passengers could take some photos unfortunetly we were on the wrong side of the train (right side)and could not do this, (metro train carriage).

in mallaig when we got off the train we were told the return journey would depart in about 3 hrs it was pouring with rain and freezing cold.

to be honest it was probably not the best day to visit but we felt the place was a bit run down. a walk round the aquarium to get out of the rain took 15mins and was interesting if you like looking at empty tanks and being charged

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts