france or spain

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
just wanted to say we had holls in france this year and loved it we stayed at des 4 vents we all as a family loved the travel and stay .

But what i wanted to know has anyone been further down like south of france and spain would love any feedback on good sites and how much longer the it wouldtake to drive down ?

please help us try to plan next years holls .

We made this years holls on the sites feedback and was 100 percent happy

THANKS TO YOU ALL

CHEERS

ANDREW

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
We frequently go to Costa Brava. It starts only about 40 miles beyond the Spanish/French border. There are many sites bordering on the Bay of Roses, some small quiet ones and others that are geared to families with older children. Most of them are close to the beach. The journey is about 900 miles from Calais and we prefer to arrive in Calais late at night, stay overnight in the carpark, and leave by 9am. First night is just off the A20 around 360 miles from Calais. Second night is at Toulouse, leaving a fairly short run next day to our destination. The return journey we complete in two days arriving in Calais for a late night crossing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi andrew we have had several holidays in the south of france and spain from la havre we allow 2 days to get to biarritzthere is plenty of good sites in the area plus the most beautiful beaches good shopping and resturants.also the same time tothe mediterranean coast again loads of site some very large but we all have differant tastes in sites very busyin agust as is most of france.of course if you go to the biarritz area it's only a couple of hours drive into nortern spain for aday out we've not stayed for long in northern spain just a day or so on our way to the south regards peter

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We've also done South of France and Spain - taking two days each way. There are some lovely sites, as said, on the Costa Brava, and in Southern France. It's hard to recommend particular sites because everyone likes different things, but in the 'French countryside' can recommend Val de Cantobre, near Nant, in the Cevenne, or Ranc Davaine in the Ardeche,both good family sites. Check out some of the other websites - a good one for a brief look at loads of sites is the camping.cheque.co.uk - click on the map and you get basic photos and details of what the site offers - and you can look at a whole lot in the same area quite easily. Cambrils Park, which is further south on the Costa Dorada is a great family site - but a bit longer journey, of course.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
How long's a piece of string?

If two of you drive you could do it in a day!

Personally as a solo driver 200 miles is these days an absolute limit.

When I went to Venice two years ago it took me eight days!

Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
Hi just seen your message! You may have already booked your holiday, but for future advice. We have been going to a campsite about 30 mins into Spain - called El Delfin Verde. I could go on for ages about it, but you may as well check out the website (search on google!). We normally stop for the night in Beziers (just off the motorway), if we leave there around 9 we get to the site at around 1 - just in time for lunch! When you heading away?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew, glad you enjoyed France. My wife and I like France, too. However, having been with our caravan to Spain three years running we much prefer Spain: more of an adventure,truly awesome scenery, and of course better weather [usually]! I don't know what route south you are taking but in January last year [2005] we travelled from Roscoff [Brittany] to the Spanish border near Biarritz in about two days. From there it depends where in Spain you want to go, and what time of year.

If you are headed due south we would strongly recommend as overnight stops the sites at Haro [halfway between Vitoria and Burgos], Aranda de Duero [halfway between Burgos and Madrid] and Aranjuez [just south of Madrid]. They are open all year, have good facilities and friendly staff. All these are in the Caravan Club site guide. From the French border to southern Spain takes about two-three days of steady driving. The roads are good and the scenery fantastic, especially travelling over the Sierra Guadarrama north of Madrid. Once you are in southernmost Spain the choice of good caravan sites is wide. For peace and quiet, excellent beaches and amazing desert scenery try Las Negras in the Cabo de Gata national park east of Almeria.

If you are staying up in the north we recommend the sites at Comillas, just west of Santander [run by a friendly and efficient Dutch guy] and Zarautz [halfway between Bilbao and San Sebastian]. Both sites are on the coast and have fantastic beach and surfing opportunities, if that is what you like. San Sebastian is well worth a visit for the day, too. The site at Zarautz overlooks a wonderful surfing beach, which you can walk to, and has a good regional restaurant on-site.

Hope this helps. John.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts