France

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Buckman said:
We must be unique as we have never bought wine or any other sort of alcohol to take home from France. Actually come to think of it we have never bought wine there to drink while in France. Never saw the point in drinking vinegar laced with sugar and then called some fancy name. :lol:

:eek:hmy: :eek:hmy: :eek:hmy: I'm lost for words ! Vinegar laced with sugar . I'm surprised you haven't had an ear bashing of our forum alky (AKA Hutch) yet ! I only drink the red which is much better than the white but not every one is the same ! Unbelievable & still gobsmacked :lol:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've been taking a caravan to and through France for more years than I care to remember, but most of what I would suggest has already been covered.
Driving on the 'wrong' side can take a bit of getting used to and the French are some of the worst drivers in Europe according to their own statistics. Be particularly wary just after midday when they wil all be going for lunch. Many regard the inner lane on a roundabout as an overtaking lane and have no idea that you will inevitably take some of both lanes particularly on a small roundabout. Make sure your extension mirrors are set for the best possible view to your left and set the right hand side mirrors such that you can seen any kerbing on a corner - they are very fond of concrete and it would be easy to catch the side of the caravan or the mover.
I've used the site at Bec Helloin and agree it's good We tend to the smaller sites - farms etc. but another good one is the municipal at Doue la Fontaine - big aquadrome nearby, toglodyte village, Saumur, Chateau of Villandry etc.etc.

If you have a satnav set it up to give you speed limit warnings if yu can, but disable the 'safety camera' action as this is illegal in
Unfortunately Brittany and Normanday although very nice quite ofter share UK weather, so if you are really after the sun you may need to thin a little further south to be sure.

There have been several other threads on this topic in the last two years and it may be worth while looking back through them

Bon voyage !

Ty

Apr 18, 2018
Visit site
Thanks again guys , i wasnt aware that the speed camera devices were illegal over there,i do a lot of mileage throughout the uk in areas im not familiar with i have had a road angel camera device on my dash board for a few years now and its definaitly been a licence saver.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Well after The Football result, We have decided that we should *** over and see our friends in Vermenton next week. Probably go for three weeks, , its great to be retired. Need to brush up on my boules.
https://www.camping-vermenton.com.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just looked at the link to camping at Vermenton - the name rang a bell. Stayed there many years ago when recently opened or refurbished. first on pitch 2 but kept getting hit by footballs from the stade so moved deeper in. They had a low barrier at that time which someone didn't understand and drove the outfit out without opening, bring the barrier arm don with the top of the caravan. Remember it had a really good toilet block, clean, warm, gentle piped music. Still go to the same area each year but to an open all year site near Troyes.

French should be very happy for at least a few weeks after the match today.

Ty

Apr 18, 2018
Visit site
Sounds great, Way off retirement and the 3 week breaks just yet will have to make do with 2 weeks for now untill the wife can get more holidays have a great time.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The village is not super, French, but we get mates rates, Sergie doen't charge for our dogs as we don't let them pee on the flowers. :p . But very good friends so taking over cumberland sausages and some stilton cheese. The local mayor has our dogs on his website. 30 minutes from Chablis, which has a great municiple site.
The river is great to swim in and a great train link to local areas.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Ty said:
Thanks All some really great advice (the wine is a definite Craig)

Hi Ty. What things do you enjoy doing? active, sedentary, views or seaside?

If you start from that point. below the vendee is acquitaine on the coast they have plenty of active sport things and places. wine is always in abundance where ever you go.. Inland lots of stuff too...

Ty

Apr 18, 2018
Visit site
Veiws scenery and were possible near the coast , a family member has a farm house near st malo we are heading out there in a couple of weeks for 5 days without the caravan then the next trip will be with the caravan potentialy using this as a stop over.

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
You dont say when you are planning to go but if its outside July and early August there is no need to book sites. It might sound a bit scary compared with the UK where booking is practically compulsory but apart from our first trip in 1980 when we made the beginners mistake and went to the Cote D Azure in early July we have never since been turned away from a site and have been touring Europe 4 months a year for the last 20 years.
Two weeks is a bit tight to go down to the Mediterranean, it can be done but you will effectively have 1 week there and a week on the road.As, others have suggested getting a Western Channel crossing from Portsmouth and exploring the west coast would give you less time on the road and more holiday. I have used the St Malo crossing and enjoyed it but Portsmouth to Caen is cheaper, if you take the afternoon crossing out and morning back the caravan goes free. Just outside the port of Ouistreham there is a site Camping Riva Bella that stays open to admit the late afternoon arrivals (it will be around 9:45)
Starting your journey from there 2 weeks will easily accommodate a trip down to the Spanish border should you want or another great destination IMO is the Ile de Re off La Rochelle , especially if you take or hire bikes to explore the island on the dedicated tracks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts