freedom of speech (insurance)

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ah Mr Modreator

I for one got no such message to say why my comments have been removed .Oh nice to see you do make an apperance pity it isnt to take up a subject for your readers you know the people who keep you in a job ,ther are mags a plenty out there who im sure would love to get the readers you are going to loose if you dont start getting it right. Anad just in case you dont know who this is check my e mail address you know the the you used to e mail me as to why my comments where removed NOT

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
As per the last response, i also never received an e-mail from the moderater despite the claims that an explanation was sent to every contributer to the thread that was removed. it would have been welcomed and could have stopped all the negative feelings currently being shown. anyone remember the record in the early eighties, relax by frankie goes to hollywood, it got one bit of negative press and all of a sudden every body in the country wanted to know who they where. well ive just returned from site and quite a few people where discussing this very thread and the company it involves, strange how the bush telegraph works isnt it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unlike Tom & John, I did receive a message from the moderator, so fair play to them for that. On another forum, the reasons for deleting the comments and outcomes were detailed, PC has done this personally to each recipient, rather than to the forum as a whole.

Not good customer relations by any stretch, have been reading pc on and off for the last 9 years, but will now just stay with the CC mag and CARAVAN magazine.

TTFN

Andrew

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
It would be a good idea to put peoples experiences on another freeby web site then put a link to ias we all know that external links are not the responsibility of the site owners.
But the big bad insurance company obviously has someone constantly scouring all the caravanning forums searching for anyone who dares to criticise them. They then set their lawyers onto the publishers making dire theats of expensive litigation.

May 20, 2005
Visit site
We've taken legal advice on this issue and regret that we cannot publish the name of the company in question. While this may seem unfair, it is unfortunately beyond our control. We are, however, in contact with that company and are treating the matter seriously.

Alison Gill

Publisher

Practical Caravan and Practical Motorhome magazines

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alison, you really think we ex readers believe you are treating this matter seriously, I mean this topic was posted 4 days ago and only now you decide to make a very brief comment.

I really can't believe that if these complaints are valid people are not able to discuss them and name the company responsible, where in the law does it say this. As I stated in a previous comment, you could have contacted the people who were having problem with this company and they were able to support their claims, there should be no reason to remove the comments.

So if you are treating this matter seriously what exactly are you doing, there are a lot of aggrieved reader here who really deserve some answers from you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John, just received this months PC through the post and a brochure inside from the company in question. I checked the rates shown and the monthly amount on the big table inside but only found the fact that you have to make 13 monthly payments elsewhere.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It looks as though PC are in league with the unmentionable insurance company. At the bottom of the first page of the leaflet it says 'Lowest prices guaranteed, call *** (the unmentionable ins. co.) 08704 022 255 or visit www.*****.org.uk/practicalcaravan!!!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well the previous comments say it all as for the comment from Alison is to little to late..Therefor i rest my case pc guilty as charged , the offence .. not doing any thing for its readers

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
RAY, i also received my copy of the mag this morning and was very surprised to find that pc where still allowing this insurance company to send out its fliers as part of the package. this company should not be associated with the good name of caravanning and pc should realise that it is not in the interest of theire readers to advertise this company. But we must understand that pc are not the only ones to be doing this, which caravan also send out these fliers as do many of the "animal" magazines, this company is after all mainly involved in animal insurance. ive just had a quick shuftie through some forums of the horse world and found quite a few bad comments on them about this company so its not just caravanners that they rip off. Would you believe that also in this mornings post was a letter from this company saying that they where sorry i had left and that they had now cancelled my policy, 4 weeks ago i rang and cancelled, so much for quick service and the cheek of it i still have not had my excess back from them, on monday i am consulting my solicitor to start a claim against them to recover my money. i will keep you informed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
RAY, i also received my copy of the mag this morning and was very surprised to find that pc where still allowing this insurance company to send out its fliers as part of the package. this company should not be associated with the good name of caravanning and pc should realise that it is not in the interest of theire readers to advertise this company. But we must understand that pc are not the only ones to be doing this, which caravan also send out these fliers as do many of the "animal" magazines, this company is after all mainly involved in animal insurance. ive just had a quick shuftie through some forums of the horse world and found quite a few bad comments on them about this company so its not just caravanners that they rip off. Would you believe that also in this mornings post was a letter from this company saying that they where sorry i had left and that they had now cancelled my policy, 4 weeks ago i rang and cancelled, so much for quick service and the cheek of it i still have not had my excess back from them, on monday i am consulting my solicitor to start a claim against them to recover my money. i will keep you informed.
John, Just like to say that I have never had any dealings with this insurer so I cannot comment on their service whether good or bad. Of course I never will after all of this and will stick with my C&CC insurance, which together with the CC is tailored specifically to caravans. If there is a problem then at least you are dealing with clubs who in my opinion do care about their members.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think to be fair to the publishers and to Alison Gill we should consider how far ahead of the publishing date articles are printed and fliers and inserts are negotiated and agreed. The interest shown in this topic indicates the strength of feeling generated - the only topic getting more replies that I can see is "Head count;Who is going to France" so lets hope the Spanish Tourist Board does'nt get miffed by that! I await any comment by the editorial staff in next months mag. with interest; they can hardly move faster than that. Meanwhile my thoughts towards a particular insurance company include words like 'heat' and 'kitchens'.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
John, Just like to say that I have never had any dealings with this insurer so I cannot comment on their service whether good or bad. Of course I never will after all of this and will stick with my C&CC insurance, which together with the CC is tailored specifically to caravans. If there is a problem then at least you are dealing with clubs who in my opinion do care about their members.
THANKS RAY, your comments are apreciated by all, we decided not to use the company concerned a good few months before picking up our new van but continued to have our coachman insured with them as this was the van that our claim was with. however we had to cancell in the end as we had collected the new van and found that the caravan club where actually cheaper than the company we are discusing anyway. obviously the saying you get what you pay for is not relevant here as you get a lot more for your money with either of the clubs. interestingly we found that caravan wise who we had used in the past and found to be ok refused to insure our new van as it was a twin axle, and caravan guard who again we have used and found to be ok insisted on the van being fitted with a tracking system, the caravan club just insisted on the usuall wheel clamp, hitch lock and alarm, but we did get an extra discount for fitting steady locks at our own choice. it pays to shop around as long as you use one of the "reputable" companies but it does appear that insurance is getting harder and harder to arrange esspacially for twin axle and high value caravans ie over 15000 pounds.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have just been on this certain company's website and have tried to read the policy document. Every time I go to 'click here if you would like to read the policy document - full terms & conditions' at the bottom of the page it throws me back to the top of the page. I just do not seem to be able to get the the policy details!! Has anybody else tried?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hmm this is interesting - I'm kicking myself 'cause I've just thrown out all my PC inserts - I do it on principle. Which one? I'm not sure!

Anyway, when I made a claim on my policy following a snaking accident, I was simply ignored by the insurance compacy until I went to the Financial Services Ombudsman. My claim was settled very quickly after that. In fact, I made a little.

I see absolutely no reason why PC could not report the FACT that an insurance issue was dealt with via the Ombudsman, nor any reason why the findings of the ombudsman should not be reported. Unless there are limitations imposed by/on the Ombudsman that the issue should be kept confidentail. There is no reason why questions of fact should not be put in the public domain.

BUT is this the forum for this sort of thing anyway? It is my perception that caravan magazines and fora are supposed to be light and fluffy. You only have to read the recent "indepth" review on sink drainers to see what I mean! If they took a tough stance they'd lose trade to a competitor and go under. PC is not meant to be a watchdog style publication. It's for people who want to talk about dog fouling, noisy children and the price of ferry crossings.

So I think on balance, I must support the PC editor here but must ask why on earth set up a forum to discuss insurance in the first instance as it is bound to attract people who want to complain?

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
This thread was not originally started as a complaint about the insurance company concerned but was started to warn others to be wary of the unmentionable company. obviously members like myself are going to give our own experiances wether these be bad or good, it just happens that not one person has given any good reports about this firm. The thread that we are all now contributing to was started by me as i was discusted that pc removed the warnings posted by others, however having taken legal advice myself i now understand that pc really had no choice as we had all named this company. in order to keep the thread alive we must refrain from naming them or pc will be forced to remove this thread as well. there are very strong feelings regarding this issue and nobody can blame any responder for letting off steam when they have received very poor service, like wise the company concened uses the internet as an advertising tool, maybee that tool has now revealed a more sinister side and started to bite back. keep caravanning and keep happy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Chris,

You have put your finger on the difficult position that PC could find itself in. PC is a magazine published for the commercial benefit of its owners, and it has to be considerate of its pay masters.

On the other hand, the house magazines of the CC and C&CC are paid for by their members subscriptions, and as the members are the paymasters, perhaps these organisations should be reporting these insurance issues.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Totally agree, John. I know the CC are forcing manufacturers to improve build quality by naming and shaming. Perhaps they could do the same with the insurance companies. Unfortunately, they might not be able to demonstrate the same level of impartiality. They are insurers themselves after all.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Totally agree, John. I know the CC are forcing manufacturers to improve build quality by naming and shaming. Perhaps they could do the same with the insurance companies. Unfortunately, they might not be able to demonstrate the same level of impartiality. They are insurers themselves after all.
Point taken!

May 20, 2005
Visit site
Just to update you all, Haymarket publishing want to reassure you that we are treating this matter extremely seriously and seeking legal advice.

We have to tread carefully and be considered in our actions.

It's clear that there are severe problems here, and they are not being ignored.

More information to follow shortly and thank you all for drawing this to our attention.

Alison Gill

Publisher

Practical Caravan and Practical Motorhome

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts