Freelander TD4

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am considering buying a new Freelander TD4 Automatic and I have some concerns that it may be a little under-powered to tow my 1500kg MTPLM van. Does anyone out there have any experience of towing a similar van with the auto version? I am particularly interested in how it performs on hills as we intend to travel down through France and over the Central Massif.

Thank you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
why waste money on a landrover that may or may not pull 1500Kgs. I have a Kia Sorento, similar money to the TD4 but it has all the toys, cruise etc, I pull an LMC520hte 1500/1600Kgs

and it doesnt know its on the back, don`t let the badge put you off I`ve now done 19000mls it hasn`t put a foot wrong.

Jul 6, 2001
Visit site
why waste money on a landrover that may or may not pull 1500Kgs. I have a Kia Sorento, similar money to the TD4 but it has all the toys, cruise etc, I pull an LMC520hte 1500/1600Kgs

and it doesnt know its on the back, don`t let the badge put you off I`ve now done 19000mls it hasn`t put a foot wrong.
Tony, thanks for the suggestion. We were considering a Kia Sorento, but our local dealer is unable to offer a test drive as his demonstrator is off the road waiting parts to satisfy a re-call; almost two weeks now. This doesn't bode well!!

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

I have a manual TD4 and tow a simillar size van to you. I have had no trouble at all with towing in all conditions, the outfit is as steady as a rock and looking at the power side the big problem is to keep an eye on the speedo because it just seems to keep on creeping up!

I have towed down to Spain for the last two Winters each time going through Andorra and the outfit just flies along.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I test drove the sorrento xs and i did not buy ............ why?

Sluggish engine and very noisey, steering devoid of any feel because it is too light, the ride is bloody awful being way too firm jiggling the occupants about and to top it all the interior is very low rent. Just another cheap korean car, did you know that they only cost 10k uk pounds in the USA figure it out!

You may not like the Freelander, i have driven that one too, the td engine is a bit lacking but has a nice ride with good steering feel and if you spend enough you can get a decent leather interior.

Me self, I'm gonna get a new model subaru legacy with the 3.0 flat six engine, that will pull up a cliff face with 4x4, 250 hp and 220lbft torque

Jul 6, 2001
Visit site
Hi John

I have a manual TD4 and tow a simillar size van to you. I have had no trouble at all with towing in all conditions, the outfit is as steady as a rock and looking at the power side the big problem is to keep an eye on the speedo because it just seems to keep on creeping up!

I have towed down to Spain for the last two Winters each time going through Andorra and the outfit just flies along.
Thanks Clive, nice to have some positive feedback. As I have now paid my deposit I hope the auto is as good as you find the manual, Andorra is pretty hilly. I spoke to someone local who tows with an auto and he swears by it, he reckons it is considerably better than his previous Discovery 2.5 diesel auto.

Cheers John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts