Freelander to Mondeo and back again. Am I mad?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Three weeks ago I traded in my Freelander TD4 which I owned for seven years from new for a Mondeo Ghia Estate. It's a lovely car, quick, quiet and sticks to the road like glue. Trouble is it's the most uncomfortable car I have ever driven. I do suffer from a back problem and I'm finding the seats hard and the lumber support on the back rest to high and the whole seating position is aggrevating my back. To say I'm dissapointed would be a massive understatement. I have just been out today and had a look at another Freelander TD4 5 years old with 41000 miles and leather interior. Never had a leather interior before any comments on it would be appreaciated. I think the problem is the actual seating position, the Freelander is more upright like sitting on a chair where the Mondeo is lower with legs out flatter. The only option I can see is to change. Anybody have a better idea? Never had a back ache with the Freelander however far the journey was.

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
Julian,

I have a similar issue, I drive a Freelander 2 myself but an 07 reg Astra Estate while at work. The seating in the FL2 is superb in my opinion, but I get backache in the astra, even though the vauxhall seat tilts/slides goes up and down so it should be possible to get it just right.

I agree with what you say about the actual seating position

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
The ride in the latest freelander is the best in the group according to What car which i subscribe too. However there is as you will know a question mark over its reliablity.

Again the Mondeo is a group test winner but its strengh is its handling. This can give a harder ride.

Regaurding the leather seats. i have the SVE xtrail. The seats are full leather electrically adjust apart from the lumber surport. And electrically heated. The only maintenance i do is a yearly waxing, apart from the usual cleaning.

I did a 2 hour trip up to Newcasle yesterday and got out as fresh as a daisy. My previous car an A4 again with lumber surport always gave me back ache after two hours.

Consider a 2004 xtrail.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Julian,

I can sympathise with your difficulty. I have had a succession of SAAB's and always found their seating to be very comfortable. As my SAAB 9000i got rather long in the tooth, and a change in my job meant I had to look for a what I hoped would be a more effiecient modern car. I chose a 1.8L Focus estate. Great handling, big load space and air conditioning!.

After only a few days I started to get back pains, and I came to the conclusion it was the car seats, But also I was disappointed with the economy, and the throttle was very sensitive I found I was not getting as good mpg from the focus as I was getting from my trusty old SAAB.

I have since gone back to SAAB, a 9-3 diesel, and whilst the seats are not as good as my old 9000, for me, they are far better than the focus

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Julian

I have a freelander td4 with the leather interior, lovely car even though it has done 126,000 miles. it is so comfy my husband is also considering buying one.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I got a 55 reg Freelander Sport 6 months ago and can honestly say it is the best car I have had.

We drove from Aberdeen to Birmingham in February and even though my wife is disabled she said it was the most comfortable journey she has had.

It is half leather and the seats are heated. The only minus point is there is no height adjustment but no complaints.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Julian

We have just sold our Grand Voyager with cloth seats and bought a new one with leather seats.

I too suffer back problems and appreciate the height and ease of access it provides getting in and out.

Had our G Voyager for 3 yrs and never had a problem with the fabric apart from being difficult to vacuum the fluff off. We are concerned that the leather of the new one might get scratched (we take up to 6 kids on the daily school run, ours and neighbours) although any spillages should be less of a problem.

One unexpected benefit I've noticed in the short time we've had it is that it's actually easier to get into because the leather allows you to slide in more easily without getting anything 'in a twist' on the way!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts