Freelander Vs Sante fe

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi, thinking of buying a 4x4, I've always wanted one but do quite a few miles so I need a car good one fuel, I also live on a very hilly housing estate in which it takes me nearly 2 hours to dig my car out even when less than an inch of snow, and I need to tow a caravan MTPLW 1600kg, I've around £6000 budget (although not set in stone) and on my short list is about an 05 plate Freelander Station wagon (5door) Td4 manual or Hyundai Sante Fe again around 05 plate manual and Diesel, comments please? I know some Land Rovers have questionable reliability issues but I know 1st hand that the Td4 (Bmw) diesel engine is fantastic

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
The freelander is a good car but do not buy one unless it has got a full service history, and there is some form of Landrover warranty..The engine might be fantastic, it all the other things that arnt :eek:(

They are good,but expensive when things go wrong and they do :eek:(

When i had mine, i kept it too long you know the old saying, why get shut when it ain't broke, well in the next five months even tho it had been well serviced it basically started to fall apart, on big value things....

so rather than putting another

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Whilst the Freelander has had a lot of stick over the years (1.8 petrol models probably justified), the Td4 model is the one to have. Like any car, you will get good ones, and bad ones. My father bought a brand new one in december 2002, and kept it until April 2009 when he bought a new Freelander 2. In all of that time, he had an intercooler pipe split in December 2008 (cost about

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
i have a 57 plate santa fe the but i personally wouldnt tow a 1600kg van with the old shape santa fe. my in laws had one great 4 x 4 but i just think you would be better getting a sorento more car for your money and a newer year, a better max tow ball weight and better kerb weight.

have a look

jo

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
I had a TD4 what a load of rubbish clutch failure and then turbo on its way out so much for BMW traded it in for a SANTA FE MK 1 good car now own the new CRV even better say no more

May 21, 2007
Visit site
I have an 05 plate 2 ltr diesel manual Santa Fe.34.5mpg solo, 32.4 towing a Coachman Amara. Superb car. My wife drives it all the time ( now that's praise indeed ).

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
HI

my dad had a brandnew santa fe 2008 top of the range 2.2d cost over 20k he done 7k miles and it snaped 2 cam belts so he got rid and got a 2009 volvo xc90 a lott better than santa fe junk

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
ive had the odd bit of trouble with the santa fe and mines also a 57 plate cdx 7 auto, 2.2 . i would have an xc90 over the santa fe.

what per cent will you be towing at with either 4 x 4's.

i still would consider if i was you the sorento because minimun for an xc90 is about 9k. you can pik a sorento up from about 5K.

jo

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Well I would vote for the Land Rover TD4. Sure they have their fair share of issues but all cars do in one way or another. Oh, LR quote a max towing weight of 2000KG but that won't be an 85% figure.

Still, it has to be what's right for you. Go and drive them and a few others as well - see what suits you. Whatever you buy get a decent warranty with it and make sure it covers wear and tear. Such warranties do exist and give peace of mind with any vehicle.

Best of luck.

Dom

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
I went for a Santa Fe as they're slightly heavier than the freelander and thought it would be a safer tow, although I didn't finish the deal because of the stupid price he offered me as a part exchange, sadly the car has since been sold, I really like the Freelander just worry about the lack of weight, I have considered a Terracan as I do like them, but like I've already stated I do approx 25k miles a year and worry about daily running costs. the problem I still have with the Santa Fe is if I like the shape or not, not the best looking car in the world, also most have leather interiors and my wife hates leather. Decisions decisions :eek:(

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
mike so what year and what shape do you want?.

i like both shapes, hey looks arnt everything and theres always a compromise on everything.

have you had a look on autotrader and ebay?.

what year do you want?.

ive got leather its great if you have small kids BUT in the winter its cold and in the summer its bloody hot. so its not all its cracked up to be.

jo

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
mike so what year and what shape do you want?.

i like both shapes, hey looks arnt everything and theres always a compromise on everything.

have you had a look on autotrader and ebay?.

what year do you want?.

ive got leather its great if you have small kids BUT in the winter its cold and in the summer its bloody hot. so its not all its cracked up to be.

jo
did you want petrol or diesel?. i know where there is a 2.7 v6 petrol?.

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
I want around a 54/05 plate if my finances will push to it, it depends on colour I think with the Santa Fe's some are uggly as sin, depends, the ones on autotrader at the moment in my budget have around 90k plus on the clock, I do to many miles to start of with that figure so I'm hoping to find one with around 50k on, I really don't like Hyundai's leather, you can tell by looking let alone feeling that the quality isn't there (sorry if that offends anyone) I'm going to hold fire for a while and see what comes up, Sorento's aren't far off my budget but again I don't want a high miler what ever I have next has got to be diesel and has to be reliable

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Interesting commnets about the terracan and it probably is a very underated vehicle.

However its on road performance may not be what you think.

During 'harhest winter' we've had for years my company needed to run a fleet of 4x4s for various reasons. We hired several Merc MLs , Audi Q5s and Defenders. We also had use of our training departments long term Terracan.

All the 4x4 were being used by professioanl drivers , highly trained and very competant.

The terracan was the only one to , after the first few days of use , remain un used in the car park.

Why , it was doing an excellent job of auditioning for Dancing on Ice. It simply spun round at every opertunity.

As I say these cars were being used by very well trained people who could not 'mess around' (one of the drivers is a former rally driver so he knows how to handle slippy slidy stuff - he refused to drive it)

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Interesting commnets about the terracan and it probably is a very underated vehicle.

However its on road performance may not be what you think.

During 'harhest winter' we've had for years my company needed to run a fleet of 4x4s for various reasons. We hired several Merc MLs , Audi Q5s and Defenders. We also had use of our training departments long term Terracan.

All the 4x4 were being used by professioanl drivers , highly trained and very competant.

The terracan was the only one to , after the first few days of use , remain un used in the car park.

Why , it was doing an excellent job of auditioning for Dancing on Ice. It simply spun round at every opertunity.

As I say these cars were being used by very well trained people who could not 'mess around' (one of the drivers is a former rally driver so he knows how to handle slippy slidy stuff - he refused to drive it)
I've ruled out a terracan as it seems to be only a matter of time before you start having trouble with the rear differential, costly at best it'd seem

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts