Freezer problem

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
In our case as the freezer is an an outbuilding at the bottom of the garden, we probably would not have heard any alarm however we did "visit" the freezer at least twice a week.

We have now bought a Samsung upright freezer which we can put in the small room in our home. Should arrive tomorrow afternoon.
Great, but you misunderstand the connected alarm. It would have come through on your phone.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Great, but you misunderstand the connected alarm. It would have come through on your phone.

John
Apologies. The new freezer has that facility as it has wifi connection. If you a nerd you can check the energy consumption every day. Don't see the point of the latter as what can you do about it? Switch off the freezer? LOL!

Reactions: otherclive

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Apologies. The new freezer has that facility as it has wifi connection. If you a nerd you can check the energy consumption every day. Don't see the point of the latter as what can you do about it? Switch off the freezer? LOL!

You can do something to help reduce the freezer's power consumption, in particular now you have moved to an upright model, by the number of times it is opened; that is try to manage visits so you get out or put things, say today and tomorrow's item s in the same visit or/and restock during a removal visit. Unlike chest units the cold air falls out. The power consumption changing can indicate it is not closed properly or the seal is aging, both issues become more sensitive with the upright models.

There could be issues with a decent WiFi network signal in a remote garden shed? In a similar challenging network signal case I have had to adopt a "powerline", network over mains connection. Despite warnings these can have issues on "spurs" [as opposed to "ring" mains}, mine works a treat with 50 metres of extension.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You can do something to help reduce the freezer's power consumption, in particular now you have moved to an upright model, by the number of times it is opened; that is try to manage visits so you get out or put things, say today and tomorrow's item s in the same visit or/and restock during a removal visit. Unlike chest units the cold air falls out. The power consumption changing can indicate it is not closed properly or the seal is aging, both issues become more sensitive with the upright models.

There could be issues with a decent WiFi network signal in a remote garden shed? In a similar challenging network signal case I have had to adopt a "powerline", network over mains connection. Despite warnings these can have issues on "spurs" [as opposed to "ring" mains}, mine works a treat with 50 metres of extension.
Thanks. Our main fridge has 3 large freezer storage compartments so probably only need to top up once or twice a week. The upright will be in house so wifi should not be a problem.

Reactions: JTQ
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think if your going to be obsessive about how many times a day you open and close your freezer door you have too much time on your hands.
I rarely touch the freezer section as it is so jam packed I can never get the trays to slide back into place. Other than to find the Magnums in the front of the top tray that’s my lot.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Panic stations again! Our grandson was able to put our food into the refrigerator at his work at the local pub, but this was because it was Christmas eve and they had the room. However they are getting a lot of food deliveries today in preparation for the new year festivities and we may need to collect the food, but got nowhere to store it.

When we ordered the new freezer, we were given dates and times for delivery and we selected today for a pm delivery. You pay a bit extra. The delivery company sent us an email this morning stating delivery tomorrow.

Problem tomorrow is a medical appointment, Friday we are away and Monday is a holiday. Grandson may be able to store the food for a day or so, but not 6 days.

Option seems to be cancel order altogether and go down to Currys and buy a small deep freeze which will fit into the back of the Jeep?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Are you sure you home insurance doesn’t include deterioration of food following freezer breakdown?
Another option might be to allow the food to defrost, cook it .Store in the fridge for a few days then into your chosen new freezer?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Are you sure you home insurance doesn’t include deterioration of food following freezer breakdown?
Another option might be to allow the food to defrost, cook it .Store in the fridge for a few days then into your chosen new freezer?
Our home insurance does include cover for loss of food, but at the moment the stuff is still frozen. Too much meat to cook and eat when I am already still stuffed from Christmas and leftovers. LOL!

I will probably cancel the medical appointment and hope they can see me again within the next 3 months.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Can't a neighbour house sit tomorrow? Better if you have a time slot.
Or you, advise courier that particular neighbour has access to the property?

In our case we would not be forgoing a medical appointment of any substance, that I would prioritise.

Reactions: Hutch and Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Can't a neighbour house sit tomorrow?
Or you, advise courier that particular neighbour has access to the property?
A good idea, but a bit complicated as the courier also needs to take away the old freezer. Daughter is out all day tomorrow and unsure of giving anyone the run of the house.

At the moment easiest option annoyingly is to cancel medical appointment. Not sure why they option appointment days and times if they cannot fulfil them?

We are also having a microwave delivered from the same supplier, but different courier and that has been confirmed as happening this morning.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A long shot but you can hire freezers short term. Or bridge your local butcher who will have lots of room since the Christmas rush

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A good idea, but a bit complicated as the courier also needs to take away the old freezer. Daughter is out all day tomorrow and unsure of giving anyone the run of the house.

At the moment easiest option annoyingly is to cancel medical appointment. Not sure why they option appointment days and times if they cannot fulfil them?

We are also having a microwave delivered from the same supplier, but different courier and that has been confirmed as happening this morning.
Grandkids of suitable age?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Freezer arrived yesterday and assembled it. Collected farmed out food from pub and everything okay now. Although the upright is supposed to have a higher capacity than the previous chest deep freeze, we struggled to get everything into the upright even though the chest freezer was only 3/4 full. Anyway all sorted now and happy wife.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
And another twist in the tale,
Advertised cubic capacity versus usable accessible cubic capacity🥴🥴.Those useful drawers take up CC😥😥

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts