french municipal site length restrictions

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Im trying to book a site near Chalon En champagne for one night and find that im coming up againt a rule of 6m for my caravan length,
We usually use the site at chalon but wernt impress the last couple of times (lots of workers departing very early hours)
Epernay looked ideal but dont allowe over 6m and our swift challenger is 7.3, beaune states the same but as weve been there lots of times i went ahead and booked anyway knowing that we are ok for their pitches.
Can any one shine a light on this or any ideas for a i nighter near this ares please.
Im wondering if its to stop travellers using the site.
Regards Madeleine

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
The French Government is trying very hard to stop travellers using campsites not intended for them - there are more and more Aires d'Acceuil Gens du Voyage being set up, and these are official travellers' sites. As a result a lot of Mairies are tightening up the restrictions on what sort of caravans they allow on to their municipal sites (as travellers tend to use longer and bigger vans). Some say 'No double axles' and some restrict the length. However, I think many sites will accept British vans which don't strictly meet the criteria, particularly if you book in advance.
Beware, though, that there are those sites which will accept you, but then charge a massive premium on top of the normal pitch price. One site was charging 43 euros for twin axles.
I can't help with alternative sites, as we have a much smaller van, and it's a while since we travelled in that direction.
There was a lot about this in the local newspaper in the Languedoc area, when we were down there in May, because the number of travellers is increasing substantially.

May 11, 2011
Visit site
thank you very much for the info, I did think this may be the case, the site was aware of my uk address, but i may try again with a bit more explanation.
Kind regards and happy caravaning.

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I questioned this rule with the Epernay site last year, stating that we had a standard UK build 5 berth van. They replied that the 6mtrs refers to the body length NOT the total length.Hope this helps.

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
We have just booked a pitch at the Chalons site and were not asked about the van length. We only booked as it is the week of the Chalons Show and last year only just got in, the site has gone down significantly since it was privatised (nothing new there) but it is convenient and the boulangerie at the top of the road has to be the best in France.

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all very much, my caravan is still being repaired by dealership due to hail storm damage last year (long story they have had it 8 weeks!!) its a 2011 challenger 570 so i think the body length is 5.60, Im going to try epenay again with this. thanks all

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi and thanks, can you let me know what you thought of the site please, was it ok for the length of your van for manovering etc?
regards Maddy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts