fridge chill it whilst towing?

Oct 7, 2006
Visit site
Can i connect my fridge up so that it is chilling down whilst I drive to site?

Does it work well or not worth it?

I am inexperienced so any help always much appreciated.

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
The recommendation for using your fridge is. Power it on mains overnight before you travel, then switch it to car when you travel.

Using it on 12volt (car) will only hold the temperature of the fridge whist on the move.

If you want to drop the temp. quicker operate the fridge on gas.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
We usually have the fridge on for 48 hours before going nywhere and if going distance freeze down an old 4 pint milk bottel 3/4 full of water and put that in the fridge to help it along

Kevin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
2 years ago we travelled from the midlands to Southern Brittany via an overnight ferry from Portsmouth to Caen. I bought a crate of 6 2L bottles of cheap spring/mineral water from the supermarket and froze 3 (after removing about a cupful). The fridge was cool before they went in and after travelling for 22 hours, approx 12 of which when the fridge was not being powered by the car, we had ice cold drinkable water (still with ice cubes!) and enough cold food for a decent meal before we had to leg it to the shops! It was great because we'd hit France on one of the hottest days! We even used one on the way. Saves a fortune on service station sandwich prices!

Gary

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We do that too when going to France - but with frozen litre cartons of orange juice, which pack nicely on to the shelves of the fridge. We also freeze a few small cartons and they pack in any free spaces.

We also take a small coolbag inside a larger cool bag - and pack two frozen meals in it, along with anything else which want to keep very cold and some more frozen packs of orange jice. The first night on site in France(24 - 26 hours after we set off) we take out the top meal, and it's usually just defrosted enough to eat. The second night we take out the second meal - makes it so easy arriving on site, with a ready prepared meal on hand. We use the orange juice during the course of the holiday, and on the day before we leave buy some in France and ask the site owner to freeze them for us, so we can keep our lovely French food cool on the way home.

We had a really good combinations of cool bag - which would actually keep things frozen for two days - but sadly the outer one got damaged and the replacement is not as good at keeping the temperature down.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
We also 'plug-in' the fridge (lucky to have the 'van on our driveway!) at least 24 hours before packing it for a journey. We also use some camping freezer blocks to help in both the freezer compartment and the body of the fridge. We have had no problems. The freezer blocks can also be used in transit between supermarket and caravan when shopping for fresh/frozen goods whilst away.

Ann

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
Put your fridge on at least 24 hours before you leave to cool it down to the correct temperature, as the car will not keep it at that cold temp for all the journey especially if it is long one. One thing that would help make yourself a meal that could be frozen to put in the fridge to help keep it cold, Then when you have arrived and set up tou can just pop it in the oven to warm when you arrive.

Aug 3, 2007
Visit site
I plug the caravan into the house supply for 24 hours before leaving but also freeze a bottle of semi skimmed milk and a "first night meal" to put it the fridge when travelling - it just keeps everything nice and cold while it defrosts. I have an unfrozen bottle of milk as well which means we have anough milk for at least a couple of days before I have to get more.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts