Fridge not working when towing

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone help? I've noticed the last couple of times I've towed that my fridge is not working when I'm towing. Its an 1996 ABI van. When on tow I switch the van onto "car" and the fridge onto "battery" and make sure the fridge switch is "on" but it still doesnt work. Am I being totally blonde and missing something or do I have a problem?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are checking the fridges straight after starting the car, the realy may not have opened up to power the fridge. Have you tried revving the engine slightly and then checking? Sorry for the non-technical speak, but it works for me!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
i may be wrong here but im pretty sure in 1998 the wiring for towing socket changed,if you have a pre 1998 caravan and car thats been fitted with a towing socket after 1998 you will have to get the caravan socket re-done

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Has it worked OK previously?

I would check that there is current reaching the relay and if it is but not then coming out of it, then it's definitely the relay.

On the other hand, if there is no current reaching the relay then it could be the inline fuse either to the relay or to the fridge.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we had a simmilair problems a few years ago. When we hooked the van on and connected the 12S to the car thew 12v light on the fridge came on, yet when we reached our destination the fridge was not cold. After a lot of investigation we found that the fridge relay was voltage based, we had this changed for an ignition based relay and have had no problems since.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts