Fridge running on gas

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi

Just returned from a 4 night non hook up stay so had to use the fridge on the gas supply but during the night it kept failing, but would re ignite simple by switching it off and then back on again. During the day it seemd to run fine. The caravan is a Swift Charisma 620 and I'm running on Propane gas. Any one out there got any ideas why this may be?

thanks

Ian

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, yes should've mentioned that first.

Thetford 107 litre, not sure on model number but it has a small electronic display showing the fuel type in use and a bar chart for the coolness. Hope this helps

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the wind was blowing directly on to the vents, then it will have simply blown the flame out.

If there was a fault on the fridge you would have had a number appear on the digital display, 1 to 14 .

In very windy conditions it is worth putting the winter covers on, or if possible when pitching, make sure the vents are on the leeward side of the prevailing wind (not always easy I know)

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
If the wind was blowing directly on to the vents, then it will have simply blown the flame out.

If there was a fault on the fridge you would have had a number appear on the digital display, 1 to 14 .

In very windy conditions it is worth putting the winter covers on, or if possible when pitching, make sure the vents are on the leeward side of the prevailing wind (not always easy I know)
I always erect a small windbreak around the fridge vents; that seems to cure the wind problem.

simon

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Thanks all for the advice. It was very windy so guess it just blew out the flame. Where do I get these winter covers you are mentioning from?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Ian

You should bear in mind that for different fridges there may be some variation in cover sizes.

Towsure or any good caravan accessory shop will sell winter vent covers

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi Ian, We have a new van with a Thetford N112 fridge (blue LED on front). It's been back to the dealer numerous times as the fridge kept switching off at night and would not re-light. We would leave it half an hour and it re-lights fine. The dealer put a call in to Thetford who have advised that the gap between the contacts on the ignitor might have been too great so the spark wouldn't jump across to ignite the flame - dealer adjusted and now (apparently) all is fine and it's been running for last 3 days (and nights) with no problem. Time will tell and we're away this weekend on gas so fingers crossed.

Hope this helps. It's been driving me mad waking me up in the middle of the night with it's tick tick tick tick as it tries to re-light - not to mention the incredibly annoying flashing blue LED (which I now cover with a post-it note).

Good luck,

Gareth

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts